Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 06-07-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177051)
Have their salaries and bonuses remain competitive in the pandemic?

Yes they match the B4s. Bonuses come in at 2-4 mths depending in performance.

Unregistered 06-07-2021 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177092)
missed part a application, any advice? will the firms usually allow you to take the next session or will firms revoke their offer?

How in the world did you manage to miss it? Depends on whether the firm has manpower needs projected.

Unregistered 06-07-2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

missed part a application, any advice? will the firms usually allow you to take the next session or will firms revoke their offer?

I missed part b application and still accepted

Unregistered 06-07-2021 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177096)
I missed part b application and still accepted

How the **** did y'all get retained...

Unregistered 06-07-2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Call SILE, explain the situation, give a sob story about how Covid screwed up your timelines for application. They are actually pretty chill usually.

Unregistered 07-07-2021 12:44 AM

I have moved to Singapore recently. I know there has been recent events which triggered some opinions about people from my country and the CECA policy. But I plan to send my son to NUS law and wonder what is the culture and job prospects there.

Thank you for your advise.

Unregistered 07-07-2021 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177118)
I have moved to Singapore recently. I know there has been recent events which triggered some opinions about people from my country and the CECA policy. But I plan to send my son to NUS law and wonder what is the culture and job prospects there.

Imo, the hate amongst sinkies against the CECA is of the same nature as the hate received by the EU from the brits. The world witnessed how much of a fiasco brexit has and continue to be, although admittedly it may be partially due to the spectacularly poor execution.

Unless some stats can prove that Singaporeans will be systemically disadvantaged, there is little economical reason to oppose the CECA. Much of the opposition is down to national pride and instinctive emotions to which how much value and benefit will that bring to our society?

Addressing your question regarding culture, there are tons of resources online, both by the school and independent of, that will provide great insight.

Prospect wise, a second uppers seems to be mandatory nowadays (with exceptions here and there) if your son is of intention to stay in Singapore. Otherwise, contrary to the incessant worshipping of NUS law prevalent within this forum, the school does not do as well as brand names from countries outside of Asia (think oxbridge, LSE, UCL, etc).

All the best.

Unregistered 07-07-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177118)

Highly suspect you're a troll but assuming you're not...

NUS law is highly elitist. Not only in terms of results but socially. The bulk of the population comes from a few top JCs or IB schools.

The students' profiles: all have similar upper middle class backgrounds / socioeconomic status, come from English speaking homes, and most importantly, overwhelmingly Chinese ethnicity. Lots of Christians.

As an expat, you're probably well off enough. But the exclusivity is not limited to income level but the social circles and elite schools.

If your son speaks with an Indian accent, he's gonna get ostracised. If he's not fully assimilated locally and immersed in the top schools culture (Raffles, ACS, Hwachong, SJI) and have friends in these circles, he's gonna be ostracised too.

All this is of course assuming he lands a place in NUS law to begin with.

I suggest you send your son to study law overseas.

Unregistered 07-07-2021 10:51 AM

So many young locals considering suicide nowadays, no wonder PAP need to enforce CECA policy.

s://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/shocking-near-50-of-people-under-35-had-considered-suicide-at-least-once-in-the-past-year.6550658/

Unregistered 07-07-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177131)
Highly suspect you're a troll but assuming you're not...

NUS law is highly elitist. Not only in terms of results but socially. The bulk of the population comes from a few top JCs or IB schools.

The students' profiles: all have similar upper middle class backgrounds / socioeconomic status, come from English speaking homes, and most importantly, overwhelmingly Chinese ethnicity. Lots of Christians.

As an expat, you're probably well off enough. But the exclusivity is not limited to income level but the social circles and elite schools.

If your son speaks with an Indian accent, he's gonna get ostracised. If he's not fully assimilated locally and immersed in the top schools culture (Raffles, ACS, Hwachong, SJI) and have friends in these circles, he's gonna be ostracised too.

All this is of course assuming he lands a place in NUS law to begin with.

I suggest you send your son to study law overseas.

Poor guy got picked on in school? It’s okay it’ll get better don’t worry.