Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   qualified actuary vs risk management in investment bank (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/7079-qualified-actuary-vs-risk-management-investment-bank.html)

actuary 11-04-2016 06:10 PM

qualified actuary vs risk management in investment bank

Which position get higher compensation in Singapore?

From some forum,I saw qualified actuary with 5 year experience can earn 7.5k.9k if working in consulting firm. But I asked a chief actuary.He said 150k including bonus would be more likely to be someone with 10exp,which is also quite low compared to figures in hays asia salary survey.He also said fellowship actuary can promote to chief actuary or CRO probably in the long run.

Actuaries with full qualifications can promote faster than risk management in IB?

For risk management in IB, some said you can earn 200k when you reach AVP position.While I don't know how many years experience does this position required.But if a person enter this field with average talent and performance,can he reach VP or SVP with 20+exp?

Unregistered 11-04-2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actuary (Post 83283)
Which position get higher compensation in Singapore?

From some forum,I saw qualified actuary with 5 year experience can earn 7.5k.9k if working in consulting firm. But I asked a chief actuary.He said 150k including bonus would be more likely to be someone with 10exp,which is also quite low compared to figures in hays asia salary survey.He also said fellowship actuary can promote to chief actuary or CRO probably in the long run.

Actuaries with full qualifications can promote faster than risk management in IB?

For risk management in IB, some said you can earn 200k when you reach AVP position.While I don't know how many years experience does this position required.But if a person enter this field with average talent and performance,can he reach VP or SVP with 20+exp?

Qualified actuary needs many years of studying for cert. You either can do it or cannot.

Risk management in IB is relatively easy to reach 200k - 2-3 years if you are really good, maybe 4-5 years if average. But to get into risk in IB for bulge bracket is very hard because of competition.

actuary 11-04-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83284)
Qualified actuary needs many years of studying for cert. You either can do it or cannot.

Risk management in IB is relatively easy to reach 200k - 2-3 years if you are really good, maybe 4-5 years if average. But to get into risk in IB for bulge bracket is very hard because of competition.

Thank you for your reply!Are you from investment bank?

actuary 12-04-2016 06:24 PM

Any suggestions?Is risk management job in IB really that high? 4~5years can reach AVP?

Unregistered 12-04-2016 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actuary (Post 83353)
Any suggestions?Is risk management job in IB really that high? 4~5years can reach AVP?

There are people who reach AVP in 2 years. AVP isn't very big anyway.

actuary 12-04-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83357)
There are people who reach AVP in 2 years. AVP isn't very big anyway.

Thank you for your reply!

Are you work in risk management role in IB?

I saw from other forum that graduates from NUS and NTU MFE ,SMU MQF can get such roles probably, is that true?

Unregistered 13-04-2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actuary (Post 83359)
Thank you for your reply!

Are you work in risk management role in IB?

I saw from other forum that graduates from NUS and NTU MFE ,SMU MQF can get such roles probably, is that true?

I am a buy side analyst, so not really risk management per se. Yes it is possible to get into investment banking with just a local degree, but the catch is you must have at least minimally a summer internship with a leading bulge bracket and ideally some connections with relevant senior bankers who vouch for you.

Unregistered 13-04-2016 01:10 AM

For entry level roles in foreign BBs, operational risk analysts start at 38k, credit risk at 42-45k, and market risk at 50-60k. I am not sure about the pay structure as progression goes on however. This is just for base. I hear that risk bonus is higher than that of back office roles, but how much higher I am not sure.

I'd like to also add that a growing number of people in risk come from MFE/PHD programs. Depending on their level of experience they may start out as AVP/associate level already.

Unregistered 13-04-2016 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83406)
For entry level roles in foreign BBs, operational risk analysts start at 38k, credit risk at 42-45k, and market risk at 50-60k. I am not sure about the pay structure as progression goes on however. This is just for base. I hear that risk bonus is higher than that of back office roles, but how much higher I am not sure.

I'd like to also add that a growing number of people in risk come from MFE/PHD programs. Depending on their level of experience they may start out as AVP/associate level already.

You're right on the numbers.

While some others and their talk of making 200k in 2-3 years... Yeah, sure.

Unregistered 13-04-2016 02:30 PM

Quite reasonable range credit 45k base. Would say probably 45-55k base for average BB.
This is for normal corporate credit analyst.

The very astronomical pay for credit would likely involve writing the credit analysis for origination, capital markets/ipo. Which are the investment bankers in BB