Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   NTU Computer Science Fresh Grad looking for advice (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/6822-nanyang-technological-university-computer-science-fresh-grad-looking-advice.html)

rorror 08-03-2016 10:41 PM

NTU Computer Science Fresh Grad looking for advice

I will be a fresh grad this year. I am a Computer Science student from NTU, with a borderline Second Upper Honours (4.0X).

I have a job offer for a software development position at a private company. The monthly salary offered is around 3.3K. What I would like to know is, should I expect 3.5K for a Second Upper or is my GPA too close to the borderline to be considered a Second Upper?

Unregistered 08-03-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rorror (Post 80988)
I will be a fresh grad this year. I am a Computer Science student from NTU, with a borderline Second Upper Honours (4.0X).

I have a job offer for a software development position at a private company. The monthly salary offered is around 3.3K. What I would like to know is, should I expect 3.5K for a Second Upper or is my GPA too close to the borderline to be considered a Second Upper?

what are u basing ur expectation on? ur second upper? nobody in the private sector cares about ur class of hons. u r paid what the company think you r worth?

is 3.3k the best job offer out there? definitely not.
is the amount reasonable? arguably yes.
can u get an offer with higher pay? only u know ur own capability well enough to ans this question.

Unregistered 08-03-2016 11:24 PM

Apply for civil service or stat boards. They less likely to underpay you and will take your 2nd upper into consideration.

Unregistered 10-03-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Mean pay for CS students from NTU is $3,489. Show them the 2015 employment survey and ask them to pay you at least that amount.

Unregistered 18-03-2016 09:43 AM

hard find job now sial

Vulcane 18-03-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Seriously, in IT nobody gives a hoot on your honours, sad to say. There are many FTs from India, China, Myanmar, Philippines that have better certification than you.

$3.3 for a fresh grad I'll say is good, but having worked so long, I'll tell you monthly pay isn't EVERYTHING.

Your entire package is what's the worth.

3,300 pm
12 days leave
8.30am-6pm
No mobile claims
No dental
No AWS
Only VB/PB

vs

3,000 pm
14 days leave
9am-6pm
$50 mobile claim
No dental
1mth AWS
VB + PB (maybe 1mth total)

Which one is more worth it?

Obviously you earn lesser, but you get more overall in a package. $3.3 doesn't seem that enticing anymore, does it?

Unregistered 18-03-2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcane (Post 81592)
Seriously, in IT nobody gives a hoot on your honours, sad to say. There are many FTs from India, China, Myanmar, Philippines that have better certification than you.

$3.3 for a fresh grad I'll say is good, but having worked so long, I'll tell you monthly pay isn't EVERYTHING.

Your entire package is what's the worth.

3,300 pm
12 days leave
8.30am-6pm
No mobile claims
No dental
No AWS
Only VB/PB

vs

3,000 pm
14 days leave
9am-6pm
$50 mobile claim
No dental
1mth AWS
VB + PB (maybe 1mth total)

Which one is more worth it?

Obviously you earn lesser, but you get more overall in a package. $3.3 doesn't seem that enticing anymore, does it?

Actually AWS and bonus makes a lot of difference, so I agree it is very important to understand how much bonus will one get realistically.

For e.g. like public sector they go on 16 months total package and very stable from year to year compare to joining a bank back office with 12 months and 1-2 variable (highly unstable), the monthly from bank will need to be at least 20% higher for the whole deal to be the same.

A lot of fresh grads just look at monthly basic and think aws/bonus & benefits are unimportant and just extras. Those who work in many companies before will know must look at total.

zero_88 19-03-2016 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81594)
Actually AWS and bonus makes a lot of difference, so I agree it is very important to understand how much bonus will one get realistically.

For e.g. like public sector they go on 16 months total package and very stable from year to year compare to joining a bank back office with 12 months and 1-2 variable (highly unstable), the monthly from bank will need to be at least 20% higher for the whole deal to be the same.

A lot of fresh grads just look at monthly basic and think aws/bonus & benefits are unimportant and just extras. Those who work in many companies before will know must look at total.

Good advise

Unregistered 19-03-2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

I have a job offer for a software development position at a private company.

depends what sort of company? private local start-up? foreign MNC? which industry?

Vulcane 19-03-2016 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81594)

Exactly my point. Private sector is very volatile, however, going into public doesn't mean you get to do what you want either. Public would be good if you manage to climb high like scholars.