NTU Computer Science Fresh Grad looking for advice - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




NTU Computer Science Fresh Grad looking for advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2016, 10:41 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
rorror is on a distinguished road
Default NTU Computer Science Fresh Grad looking for advice

I will be a fresh grad this year. I am a Computer Science student from NTU, with a borderline Second Upper Honours (4.0X).

I have a job offer for a software development position at a private company. The monthly salary offered is around 3.3K. What I would like to know is, should I expect 3.5K for a Second Upper or is my GPA too close to the borderline to be considered a Second Upper?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2016, 11:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorror View Post
I will be a fresh grad this year. I am a Computer Science student from NTU, with a borderline Second Upper Honours (4.0X).

I have a job offer for a software development position at a private company. The monthly salary offered is around 3.3K. What I would like to know is, should I expect 3.5K for a Second Upper or is my GPA too close to the borderline to be considered a Second Upper?
what are u basing ur expectation on? ur second upper? nobody in the private sector cares about ur class of hons. u r paid what the company think you r worth?

is 3.3k the best job offer out there? definitely not.
is the amount reasonable? arguably yes.
can u get an offer with higher pay? only u know ur own capability well enough to ans this question.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Apply for civil service or stat boards. They less likely to underpay you and will take your 2nd upper into consideration.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorror View Post
I will be a fresh grad this year. I am a Computer Science student from NTU, with a borderline Second Upper Honours (4.0X).

I have a job offer for a software development position at a private company. The monthly salary offered is around 3.3K. What I would like to know is, should I expect 3.5K for a Second Upper or is my GPA too close to the borderline to be considered a Second Upper?
Mean pay for CS students from NTU is $3,489. Show them the 2015 employment survey and ask them to pay you at least that amount.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

hard find job now sial
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Vulcane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorror View Post
I will be a fresh grad this year. I am a Computer Science student from NTU, with a borderline Second Upper Honours (4.0X).

I have a job offer for a software development position at a private company. The monthly salary offered is around 3.3K. What I would like to know is, should I expect 3.5K for a Second Upper or is my GPA too close to the borderline to be considered a Second Upper?
Seriously, in IT nobody gives a hoot on your honours, sad to say. There are many FTs from India, China, Myanmar, Philippines that have better certification than you.

$3.3 for a fresh grad I'll say is good, but having worked so long, I'll tell you monthly pay isn't EVERYTHING.

Your entire package is what's the worth.

3,300 pm
12 days leave
8.30am-6pm
No mobile claims
No dental
No AWS
Only VB/PB

vs

3,000 pm
14 days leave
9am-6pm
$50 mobile claim
No dental
1mth AWS
VB + PB (maybe 1mth total)

Which one is more worth it?



Obviously you earn lesser, but you get more overall in a package. $3.3 doesn't seem that enticing anymore, does it?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcane View Post
Seriously, in IT nobody gives a hoot on your honours, sad to say. There are many FTs from India, China, Myanmar, Philippines that have better certification than you.

$3.3 for a fresh grad I'll say is good, but having worked so long, I'll tell you monthly pay isn't EVERYTHING.

Your entire package is what's the worth.

3,300 pm
12 days leave
8.30am-6pm
No mobile claims
No dental
No AWS
Only VB/PB

vs

3,000 pm
14 days leave
9am-6pm
$50 mobile claim
No dental
1mth AWS
VB + PB (maybe 1mth total)

Which one is more worth it?



Obviously you earn lesser, but you get more overall in a package. $3.3 doesn't seem that enticing anymore, does it?
Actually AWS and bonus makes a lot of difference, so I agree it is very important to understand how much bonus will one get realistically.

For e.g. like public sector they go on 16 months total package and very stable from year to year compare to joining a bank back office with 12 months and 1-2 variable (highly unstable), the monthly from bank will need to be at least 20% higher for the whole deal to be the same.

A lot of fresh grads just look at monthly basic and think aws/bonus & benefits are unimportant and just extras. Those who work in many companies before will know must look at total.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2016, 09:52 PM
zero_88's Avatar
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 173
zero_88 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually AWS and bonus makes a lot of difference, so I agree it is very important to understand how much bonus will one get realistically.

For e.g. like public sector they go on 16 months total package and very stable from year to year compare to joining a bank back office with 12 months and 1-2 variable (highly unstable), the monthly from bank will need to be at least 20% higher for the whole deal to be the same.

A lot of fresh grads just look at monthly basic and think aws/bonus & benefits are unimportant and just extras. Those who work in many companies before will know must look at total.
Good advise
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorror View Post
I have a job offer for a software development position at a private company.
depends what sort of company? private local start-up? foreign MNC? which industry?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2016, 11:08 PM
Vulcane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually AWS and bonus makes a lot of difference, so I agree it is very important to understand how much bonus will one get realistically.

For e.g. like public sector they go on 16 months total package and very stable from year to year compare to joining a bank back office with 12 months and 1-2 variable (highly unstable), the monthly from bank will need to be at least 20% higher for the whole deal to be the same.

A lot of fresh grads just look at monthly basic and think aws/bonus & benefits are unimportant and just extras. Those who work in many companies before will know must look at total.
Exactly my point. Private sector is very volatile, however, going into public doesn't mean you get to do what you want either. Public would be good if you manage to climb high like scholars.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Career advice for fresh grad bookwormm Income and Jobs 17 05-07-2015 02:47 PM
job advice needed for fresh grad kairi9q Income and Jobs 11 26-06-2015 01:13 AM
Fresh grad advice needed oldmaster Income and Jobs 6 17-03-2014 11:48 PM
Fresh Grad Needs Career Advice kelvinchua Income and Jobs 26 11-03-2014 12:40 AM
In need of career advice (Fresh Grad) rustix Income and Jobs 17 08-03-2014 09:26 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
merit increment in civil service ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 65,537 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,038 Replies, 1,195,838 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,237 Replies, 365,578 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
227 Replies, 110,755 Views
Visa Inc Business Associate...
9 Replies, 183 Views
Dilemma - advice needed
4 Replies, 518 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,239 Replies, 3,811,297 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,376 Replies, 981,598 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,560 Replies, 2,186,848 Views
Working in NEA, the benefits,...
0 Replies, 50 Views
Job Advice:Is it better to start... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 927 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
246 Replies, 62,731 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
387 Replies, 325,206 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,170 Replies, 1,430,081 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
496 Replies, 120,346 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
511 Replies, 114,930 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,431 Replies, 659,505 Views
JLL finance program 2021
1 Replies, 93 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,709 Replies, 6,725,068 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
183 Replies, 66,063 Views
Difficult to switch from Public To... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 8,234 Views
Salary Calculation
4 Replies, 1,563 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
593 Replies, 53,016 Views
NEED ADVICE!! LAZADA Business...
6 Replies, 538 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,902 Replies, 1,536,614 Views
Advice needed (Career change)
8 Replies, 3,088 Views
Help: Looking to speak to 3...
1 Replies, 113 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
719 Replies, 208,809 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,702 Replies, 2,278,830 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
216 Replies, 81,208 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2