Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Senior police officer in SPF... Help me pls (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2839-senior-police-officer-singapore-police-force-help-me-pls.html)

haiz2006 14-06-2013 08:36 AM

Senior police officer in SPF... Help me pls

i want to know the culture of work and work life in SPF. i am not a scholar, just 2nd lower degree with 2.8years mgt experiences. I have attended the board interview and subject to medical scheduled already. I believed I have a high chance entering as SPO as I told them I have to enter training ASAP due to my marriage next year. So quite confident.

what I am unsure now is I have no support from my girlfriend to allow me to join.. So was very upset, she thinks that once I join police our relationship will strain, baby plans will stall and no time spend together after telling her the working shifts.

i Duno this kind of life will be how long because it takes about 3-4 years to do staff posting.?? No one knows.... And after staff posting working hours might be irregular too? I have many tonnes of questions and all these were being addressed before all the first few interviews.. but i wanna hear from a SPO or a regular here the lifestyle and whether can a regular upkeep his family ties and relationship.. Baby plans etc.

I heard especially IO tour is keep clearing cases and shift is also like junior PO?

say next year late wedding, training will disrupt my plans if unless I enter in August intake...

What if one day I wanna leave the force due to commitment to family, low progression and promotion, will I regret one day that my experience is irrelevant to outside world... So many worries.. Many ex officer went to crop security, compliance in Pte sector or even as some mgt level in Mindef or security related job but for sure their reason of leaving and get pay cut is due to?
Many said degree sign on is good..

Unregistered 14-06-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haiz2006 (Post 38598)
i want to know the culture of work and work life in SPF. i am not a scholar, just 2nd lower degree with 2.8years mgt experiences. I have attended the board interview and subject to medical scheduled already. I believed I have a high chance entering as SPO as I told them I have to enter training ASAP due to my marriage next year. So quite confident.

what I am unsure now is I have no support from my girlfriend to allow me to join.. So was very upset, she thinks that once I join police our relationship will strain, baby plans will stall and no time spend together after telling her the working shifts.

i Duno this kind of life will be how long because it takes about 3-4 years to do staff posting.?? No one knows.... And after staff posting working hours might be irregular too? I have many tonnes of questions and all these were being addressed before all the first few interviews.. but i wanna hear from a SPO or a regular here the lifestyle and whether can a regular upkeep his family ties and relationship.. Baby plans etc.

I heard especially IO tour is keep clearing cases and shift is also like junior PO?

say next year late wedding, training will disrupt my plans if unless I enter in August intake...

What if one day I wanna leave the force due to commitment to family, low progression and promotion, will I regret one day that my experience is irrelevant to outside world... So many worries.. Many ex officer went to crop security, compliance in Pte sector or even as some mgt level in Mindef or security related job but for sure their reason of leaving and get pay cut is due to?

Hi bro, i am interested in siging on too. a pass degree. the salary package is really very attractive n its very stable. i would like to ask u

is the interview question hard?
is it very hard to get into it?
how many round of interviews will you need to attend and how long is it from 1st interview to hearing of their offer?
how many months of stay in training upon acceptance?

thank you

haiz2006 15-06-2013 03:03 PM

Hu

Anyone can help

Unregistered 16-06-2013 08:11 PM

Assuming you join as an INPS. SPF SO salary package is really attractive. Should be 60k per annum easily with all the bonuses (13th mnth, Performance bonus, mid & end yr bonuses) for your second yr on. Merit increment also usually better than stat board.

However, shift work will take a toll on you. Dont think you will have all the weekends to spend with ur fam, neither will you fulyl enjoy the PH with ur loved ones. Moreover, the skillset you pick up at SPF usually not transferable to private sector unless you are lookign at security companies like AETOS etc.

Then again, one day when you move up the seniority ranks say as a DSP, you will be doing office hours collecting a relatively comfortable pay cheque in your plushy chair. But till then, you gotta slog. But before you take the plunge, consider you options wisely- what are your talent? something that gives you comparative adv over another.

2cents worth.

Unregistered 18-06-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

If you are not comfortable then don't go

uturn 18-06-2013 10:18 PM

you only got one life. think about how you want to live your life and your priorities in life

Unregistered 18-06-2013 10:34 PM

Don't join just because of the salary. Consider the risks you put yourself and families in. Consider the hours and ever-ready standby you have to go through. Take heart, and take care.

Unregistered 19-06-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Being a Policeman is tough. Others may thing Policeman slack, but it is certainly untrue. There are so many things happening out of public's view. You will need family support to do reasonably well in both career and family should you choose to be a policeman. Otherwise, you will end up jeopardising either one or worse both.
The pay vs other civil service schemes is quite generous.

First few years as Investigation Officers and Team Leaders is generally tough. These are typically foundation postings for Senior Officers. Other than contending with shift hours, how much work is really dependant on whether ppl choose to commit crimes. Yes as IO, you will clear cases like junior officers. Every officer will have different experiences. I must say that if your first few years is hellish, what comes after will be fairly easy going, since you will be experienced enough to tackle policy work as a staff officer or lead others if in a command position. If you choose to take the easy way out by "delegating" work to the junior ones. Then you will be exposed when you are posted to higher positions, since you have no personal experience to back up your decisions/thinking.

You must also ask yourself how far you think you will be in the Police Force. There are many bright minds here, and rather competitive. Set your expectations right. This is also a job not for the weak hearted. Other ppl's lives are at stake.

Unregistered 19-06-2013 07:49 PM

true story:

Join police must join as officer, meaning you inspector and above. you must have a degree.
then you use the government-issued phone and call your girlfriend or flirt girls in the interview room. Order your sergeant or staff seargant go do Sai Kang.

drive police car go fetch girlfriend. Relax one corner manz...

This is what my friend told me. he is a sergeant in the SPF.

Unregistered 20-06-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38840)
true story:

Join police must join as officer, meaning you inspector and above. you must have a degree.
then you use the government-issued phone and call your girlfriend or flirt girls in the interview room. Order your sergeant or staff seargant go do Sai Kang.

drive police car go fetch girlfriend. Relax one corner manz...

This is what my friend told me. he is a sergeant in the SPF.

This Sgt friend may not be entirely accurate. Indeed like all organisations, there will be bad hats around. These errant officers will be weeded in good time, or resign themselves when they wonder why is it that their PB and promotions (if any) are way slower than their peers.

Hermit 20-06-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Hi haiz2006,

You have also considered joining CPIB last year. Maybe check back to that thread where I made a post or two. https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/...-sector-2.html

Look within yourself and find out your motivations for wanting to join these law enforcement careers.

Is it to fulfill a childhood dream? Or to follow after the footsteps of a family member? Or are you thinking of the perceived job stability?

The fact that you are already considering the possible exit strategies means that deep inside you might not really want to make it your lifetime career.

If you are half-hearted, forget about it. And I mean it in a good way. Don't join the police and spend 80% of your working day thinking how to get out of it. Frankly speaking, if you speak with regular policemen, most of them wish they took a different path. But it is too late for change.

Even scholars regret choosing to work in the police. Except if you are a Police Scholar and/or President Scholar - in which case you are destined for "top management" with sideway movements to Admin Service and political positions.

Forget about the police. Forget about the civil service. Just go out and work somewhere, anywhere. Careers are not limited to being a fireman, postman, pilot or policeman. There are careers out there doing things you have never even heard of, and they offer reasonable pay and good advancement.

And never be tricked by a higher starting pay. I know the starting pay is very important to a fresh graduate. But people who have worked more years will tell you the starting pay does not mean anything. If you do a job you love, and you do it well, you will be surprised how much your boss is willing to increase your pay in order to keep you. And if you are in a niche market, your boss' competitors will also be happy to take you on with attractive terms.

MANgineer 20-06-2013 07:53 PM

Hi there. Pay may be good however, initially, ur work will be tough. Esp during the IO phase. Nxt phase, Team Leader. U have to do shifts. Ur responsibility will be high too. N be passionate abt ur job as being a police Inspector is a highly respected job.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 12:28 PM

Hi all,

Anyone kind enough to give latest payscale range from Insp to CP .
Did my NS in early 80's as NSPI, went to uni after ROD & choose another career path ..
Wonder if I've made a wrong decision ;-). Looking back, it was quite an experience

Thanks

Unregistered 03-07-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MANgineer (Post 38901)
...being a police Inspector is a highly respected job....

hahahaha...this has got to be the joke of the day. They are just licensed gangsters, ok.

Unregistered 24-12-2016 06:21 PM

I have a unisim degree. May I know if I can enter as an inspector or will I be placed on the sergeant scheme?

Unregistered 12-07-2018 04:35 PM

Should I accept an offer as a Senior Police Inspector or an offer of being a General Education Officer?

Which one is better in terms of pay and progression?

2nd Class Honours Local NTU Engineering Degree.

Unregistered 12-07-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108820)
Should I accept an offer as a Senior Police Inspector or an offer of being a General Education Officer?

Both are equivalent. Bonuses same. Benefits same. Civil service. But key is do you like to do law enforcement work more or teach more?

Unregistered 13-07-2018 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108820)

Police pays better than moe

Unregistered 14-07-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108821)
Both are equivalent. Bonuses same. Benefits same. Civil service. But key is do you like to do law enforcement work more or teach more?

Does the ability to only achieve IPPT silver at best affect my promotions?

I am quite undecided which one I eventually will like more. Both sounds equally fun yet challenging.

Unregistered 18-07-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108865)
Does the ability to only achieve IPPT silver at best affect my promotions?

I am quite undecided which one I eventually will like more. Both sounds equally fun yet challenging.

so long as u r a signed on regular, you must pass ippt annually if nt u can kiss your possible promotion good bye

chee keong 09-09-2018 02:01 AM

im not interested to sit in police car going around having to catch cockroach and lizards. i want to sit in office and work only office hours. can anyone help?

Unregistered 15-09-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chee keong (Post 110115)
im not interested to sit in police car going around having to catch cockroach and lizards. i want to sit in office and work only office hours. can anyone help?

if u join as senior officer, where got so fast let u go direct do office hour one

unless u join as civilian staff under HASE scheme

Unregistered 27-04-2020 04:34 PM

Truly agreed, being a police inspector is a highly respected job

Quote:

Originally Posted by MANgineer (Post 38901)
Hi there. Pay may be good however, initially, ur work will be tough. Esp during the IO phase. Nxt phase, Team Leader. U have to do shifts. Ur responsibility will be high too. N be passionate abt ur job as being a police Inspector is a highly respected job.

Truly agreed, being a police inspector is a highly respected job

Unregistered 27-04-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit (Post 38869)
Hi haiz2006,

You have also considered joining CPIB last year. Maybe check back to that thread where I made a post or two. [URL="s://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/939-advice-needed-singapore-police-force-senior-police-officer-vs-private-sector-2.html"]s://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/939-advice-needed-singapore-police-force-senior-police-officer-vs-private-sector-2.html[/

Look within yourself and find out your motivations for wanting to join these law enforcement careers.

Is it to fulfill a childhood dream? Or to follow after the footsteps of a family member? Or are you thinking of the perceived job stability?

The fact that you are already considering the possible exit strategies means that deep inside you might not really want to make it your lifetime career.

If you are half-hearted, forget about it. And I mean it in a good way. Don't join the police and spend 80% of your working day thinking how to get out of it. Frankly speaking, if you speak with regular policemen, most of them wish they took a different path. But it is too late for change.

Even scholars regret choosing to work in the police. Except if you are a Police Scholar and/or President Scholar - in which case you are destined for "top management" with sideway movements to Admin Service and political positions.

Forget about the police. Forget about the civil service. Just go out and work somewhere, anywhere. Careers are not limited to being a fireman, postman, pilot or policeman. There are careers out there doing things you have never even heard of, and they offer reasonable pay and good advancement.

And never be tricked by a higher starting pay. I know the starting pay is very important to a fresh graduate. But people who have worked more years will tell you the starting pay does not mean anything. If you do a job you love, and you do it well, you will be surprised how much your boss is willing to increase your pay in order to keep you. And if you are in a niche market, your boss' competitors will also be happy to take you on with attractive terms.

In a very details analysis/chatting, thanks for sharing.

Police wannabe 01-06-2022 09:59 PM

Spf SO progression

Hi need some advice here. Im graduating from local u next yr and is looking to join spf. I know the INSP salary range, but wonder how is the general career progression and salary range like cos starting pay cannot be the only consideration I guess.

For a normal performing farmer, how long does it typically take to get from

INSP to asp
Asp to DSP
DSP to supt

Can't imagine myself ever getting anything more than supt. Lol

Unregistered 02-06-2022 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Police wannabe (Post 219949)
Hi need some advice here. Im graduating from local u next yr and is looking to join spf. I know the INSP salary range, but wonder how is the general career progression and salary range like cos starting pay cannot be the only consideration I guess.

For a normal performing farmer, how long does it typically take to get from

INSP to asp
Asp to DSP
DSP to supt

Can't imagine myself ever getting anything more than supt. Lol

Yo, am ex spf here. 12yrs in service.

Same, I from local u, then joined spf. Managed to climb to DAC.

But be prepared to be a slave. Need to put in alot hours and tank alot of projects and make sure u dont screw up. Consistency very very important. I screwed up 1x big one, delay my promotion 1 year lol.

if u are those chill type, want to faster do work and zao. Max supt if u lucky, or dsp2.

But normally alot ppl chill after asp, cos got family alrdy. And honestly, dsp salary quite good. so yea. Alot ppl stopped at dsp2 or supt. But good enuf.

FYI: someone i know in spf for 14yrs. strike toto 2.5m. Left the force and open his own food restaurant . Suck thumb ;(

Unregistered 03-06-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220020)
Yo, am ex spf here. 12yrs in service.

Same, I from local u, then joined spf. Managed to climb to DAC.

But be prepared to be a slave. Need to put in alot hours and tank alot of projects and make sure u dont screw up. Consistency very very important. I screwed up 1x big one, delay my promotion 1 year lol.

if u are those chill type, want to faster do work and zao. Max supt if u lucky, or dsp2.

But normally alot ppl chill after asp, cos got family alrdy. And honestly, dsp salary quite good. so yea. Alot ppl stopped at dsp2 or supt. But good enuf.

FYI: someone i know in spf for 14yrs. strike toto 2.5m. Left the force and open his own food restaurant . Suck thumb ;(

You made it to DAC within 12 years. Must be a scholar. Could you share the salary range of DSP & SUPT? Since most ppl will retire at these ranks.

Robert 03-06-2022 06:37 PM

Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220170)
You made it to DAC within 12 years. Must be a scholar. Could you share the salary range of DSP & SUPT? Since most ppl will retire at these ranks.

DAC within 12 years u believe? Lol