Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   did you get these starting salaries? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2677-did-you-get-these-starting-salaries.html)

darialim 06-05-2013 06:09 PM

How do companies calculate when and how much to raise the starting salary? by observing what competitors are offering? but that's difficult information to find out.

darialim 06-05-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36233)
I'm a recent NTU grad, (Graduated 2 years ago) and the salary stated is consistent amongst people i know.

Bear in mind that these are average and is just for reference. For instance, arts degree get a high starting salary because many grads found employment in governmental jobs which pays high starting pay.

TS, why do you say you're underpaid?

Perhaps because the starting pay in SME is lower than govt or MNCs, but sometimes it is not easy to get into those organisations.

I heard for MNC you need to know someone on the inside, and for govt you need at least 2nd Upper Hons to qualify.

Unregistered 07-05-2013 11:22 AM

SME have to give low pay, because we gave everyone a chance to work with us. Many people claim that working in MNC pays much better, that is because MNC usually hires people with experience.

You have to understand that SME took the risk of new hires, and gave basically everyone their chance.

Unregistered 07-05-2013 06:31 PM

Help!

Help, need to decide if this job offer is reasonable enough for me to take it.

Fresh grad from local uni (IT-related), didn't do well enough for honors.
A bank offered me an IT ops job, but it's not very technical. On contract, $3k/month, no AWS. Have to pay penalty if leave within a year. Any idea if I should take it up? Some of my friends have already gotten higher paying jobs, and I'm worried about the (potential) penalty. But at the same time, also worried I can't find other jobs. Sighhhh. What a headache...

Thanks for the help.

Unregistered 07-05-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36521)
Help, need to decide if this job offer is reasonable enough for me to take it.

Fresh grad from local uni (IT-related), didn't do well enough for honors.
A bank offered me an IT ops job, but it's not very technical. On contract, $3k/month, no AWS. Have to pay penalty if leave within a year. Any idea if I should take it up? Some of my friends have already gotten higher paying jobs, and I'm worried about the (potential) penalty. But at the same time, also worried I can't find other jobs. Sighhhh. What a headache...

Thanks for the help.

Why do you think they need to impose such a rule? I am talking about of cos the penalty. WHY? why why why why why? hehehe.

Unregistered 07-05-2013 08:21 PM

For this case, I think the attrition rate is very high. That's why they need to impose such a penalty.

Having said that, I heard from a Citi MA friends that Citi recently also implemented such a penalty for their MA program. Citi's rationale is they are sending their MAs to expensive trainings and don't want to be shortchanged by staff who leave within 1 year

Unregistered 08-05-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36522)
Why do you think they need to impose such a rule? I am talking about of cos the penalty. WHY? why why why why why? hehehe.

It's a standard practice, my friend.
You're a fresh grad, they have to train you. Money is needed, and what if they train you on the job for three months and you leave? You will be wasting their time. They must make sure that you don't run off after getting trained.
Take it as a learning experience. Change jobs after a year when you're more familiar with the industry. $3k for a non-honors is good pay, but it's understandable as you have no AWS. Give and take lah.

And anyway, NO ONE will leave their first job in less than a year. It doesn't reflect well on your CV if you do.

Unregistered 08-05-2013 10:19 AM

Sure, "training" its like why LAE gets 1.5k for the 1st 2 years. That I can understand.

But i wonder what is training for "an IT ops job, but it's not very technical. On contract" job is like. Hmmmm.....

Introduction to using the wifi copier - 4 CUs
Introduction on configuring the scada water dispenser - 2 CUs
Introduction on office lighting and power management HVAC system - 4 CUs

I dun get it, given his qualifications, he should have possessed the required knowledge to operate basic IT ops job. Unless the job requires highly specialized technical skills.

why why why why why why why....

Unregistered 08-05-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36540)
It's a standard practice, my friend.
You're a fresh grad, they have to train you. Money is needed, and what if they train you on the job for three months and you leave? You will be wasting their time. They must make sure that you don't run off after getting trained.
Take it as a learning experience. Change jobs after a year when you're more familiar with the industry. $3k for a non-honors is good pay, but it's understandable as you have no AWS. Give and take lah.

And anyway, NO ONE will leave their first job in less than a year. It doesn't reflect well on your CV if you do.

Thanks for your advice (and to others too), all of it will help me in reaching a decision. Penalty is worrying but on the other hand I've also heard that you should at least stay a year mininum in your first job, or longer if possible.