Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career advice pls (lost and confused) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2666-career-advice-pls-lost-confused.html)

HGL 25-04-2013 08:10 PM

Career advice pls (lost and confused)

Hi everyone,

I graduated with B.Eng (Mechanical) from NTU (w/o honour) 4 years ago. Since graduation, I joined a small biomedical company (healthcare products) as a product design engineer. I had to do research works + designing of prototype/final products. Salary < 3k for all 4 years. Our products did not sell well in the end. I tried a number of job interviews during these years but the employers prefer someone who can do automation/robot design for design engineer. I have limited experience with automation and did not get any job offer. Luckily this year, I got an offer from a local engineering company as mechanical engineer with salary over 3k. The company provides engineering services (M&E, pumps, ACMV) with staff size of about 100. My job role is to support sales manager and do costing/billing/tenders and occasional site supervision. Working hours are long and no confirmed AWS. I am nearing to my thirties now and I need job stability and would like to be working in a managerial level. Is that a good choice that I made? How can I proceed from there to achieve my dream. Thank you.

jobhunter1234 25-04-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGL (Post 36098)
Hi everyone,

I graduated with B.Eng (Mechanical) from NTU (w/o honour) 4 years ago. Since graduation, I joined a small biomedical company (healthcare products) as a product design engineer. I had to do research works + designing of prototype/final products. Salary < 3k for all 4 years. Our products did not sell well in the end. I tried a number of job interviews during these years but the employers prefer someone who can do automation/robot design for design engineer. I have limited experience with automation and did not get any job offer. Luckily this year, I got an offer from a local engineering company as mechanical engineer with salary over 3k. The company provides engineering services (M&E, pumps, ACMV) with staff size of about 100. My job role is to support sales manager and do costing/billing/tenders and occasional site supervision. Working hours are long and no confirmed AWS. I am nearing to my thirties now and I need job stability and would like to be working in a managerial level. Is that a good choice that I made? How can I proceed from there to achieve my dream. Thank you.

hi. can i say that your job title for previous job was biomedical engineer? I was looking at another forum and someone mentioned that fresh chem eng grad get paid 3.7k by a pharma coy. I dun quite believe that and to me engineers working in production line dun get paid alot.

Unregistered 25-04-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

What skills do you think is needed at a managerial level? How much P&L have you been responsible for? How many proposals have you done, how many deals have you cut, how many people have you had to let go?

I am sure there are many ways, but the one proven way that I know of be better, fast, more efficient and make no major mistakes, that and occasionally know how to make your boss and customer happy.

HGL 25-04-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 (Post 36103)
hi. can i say that your job title for previous job was biomedical engineer? I was looking at another forum and someone mentioned that fresh chem eng grad get paid 3.7k by a pharma coy. I dun quite believe that and to me engineers working in production line dun get paid alot.

No. My job title was Design Engineer. I believe pharma sector pays more to chem grads but it may not be the case for Mech grads.

Unregistered 26-04-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

It's a bit far fetched for someone at your age and making only <3k to be thinking of being a manager. Most people only become manager near 40s or above.

Unless you are talking about all those fake managerial titles where fresh grads go in a few years then get "promoted" to a fancy title.

Unregistered 27-04-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 (Post 36103)

3.7K is a bit too high for a fresh grad in a pharma coy. It is correct for oil and gas but pharma coy should be closer to 3K.

Unregistered 27-04-2013 12:32 PM

why try taxi driving? i heard you can earn $6-7 K per month.

go for it.

jobhunter1234 27-04-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36149)
3.7K is a bit too high for a fresh grad in a pharma coy. It is correct for oil and gas but pharma coy should be closer to 3K.

Yea. I have a friend who now works for a pharma coy and is being paid around 3k inclusive of allowance and etc. It is shocking to know that fresh grads entering oil gas industry are getting 3.7k :eek:

Unregistered 28-04-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 (Post 36155)
Yea. I have a friend who now works for a pharma coy and is being paid around 3k inclusive of allowance and etc. It is shocking to know that fresh grads entering oil gas industry are getting 3.7k :eek:

It's not easy to enter O&G. If they get it, they probably deserve it. However that said, I would suggest TS to try govt jobs. In general

MNC banking > MNC O&G > MNC in general = Govt > MNC engineering >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SME

Unregistered 29-04-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36203)
It's not easy to enter O&G. If they get it, they probably deserve it. However that said, I would suggest TS to try govt jobs. In general

MNC banking > MNC O&G > MNC in general = Govt > MNC engineering >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SME

Nice ranking, I would like to add on:

MNC banking > MNC O&G > MNC in general = Govt > MNC engineering >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SME
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Startup (general)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Startup(VC)( engineering)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>local Startup (electronic)
and to top it all, the crappiest:
Local startup consumer electronics! But hey at least this one, you dont have to resign manually and you have a nice honest way when explaining why you left the previous employment
:)