Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   what is a fair amount for a fresh grad going into stat board? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2665-what-fair-amount-fresh-grad-going-into-stat-board.html)

verycurious 25-04-2013 02:36 PM

what is a fair amount for a fresh grad going into stat board?

i'm BBAH 2nd upper (NUS) grad, just got offered 3.1k (guy here) in a stat board. is that a fair amount to accept?

also, i'd like to ask - how difficult is it to switch jobs/industries into the private sector if i decide not to continue after 2 years? it's a front-office role, but the context it's set in isn't exactly applicable to what we can find in the private sector.

asking because i've been researching on pay scales, and it seems pretty long (10years+?) to hit perhaps 8-9k @ AD/DD position. Given the same performance, i should be able to hit that rate faster in the private sector, yes?

Quintus 25-04-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36089)
i'm BBAH 2nd upper (NUS) grad, just got offered 3.1k (guy here) in a stat board. is that a fair amount to accept?

also, i'd like to ask - how difficult is it to switch jobs/industries into the private sector if i decide not to continue after 2 years? it's a front-office role, but the context it's set in isn't exactly applicable to what we can find in the private sector.

asking because i've been researching on pay scales, and it seems pretty long (10years+?) to hit perhaps 8-9k @ AD/DD position. Given the same performance, i should be able to hit that rate faster in the private sector, yes?

yes, freshies dun get to bargain

maybe, depends on job role, front office is sort of broad, maybe u wud wanna elaborate on the statboard's function, etc

maybe, private sector isn't as highly paid unless u can really make it big

Quintus 25-04-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36089)

what's BBAH btw?

verycurious 25-04-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintus (Post 36091)
what's BBAH btw?

biz admin with hons

not really asking for negotiation, because i intend to ask for a raise only after i've proven my worth in the organization.

i can only say that the job has a lot of interaction with high-level external stakeholders, as well as internal stakeholders. sort of a liaison role.

Unregistered 25-04-2013 04:03 PM

Public sector you ask for raise? impossible la. What class of honours? is this stat board relevant to what you studied?

Now jobs all getting filled up already. Vacancies are decreasing day by day.

verycurious 25-04-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36093)
Public sector you ask for raise? impossible la. What class of honours? is this stat board relevant to what you studied?

Now jobs all getting filled up already. Vacancies are decreasing day by day.

did u read the entire post?

i'm a 2nd upper. yes what i study is completely relevant.

Quintus 25-04-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36092)
biz admin with hons

not really asking for negotiation, because i intend to ask for a raise only after i've proven my worth in the organization.

i can only say that the job has a lot of interaction with high-level external stakeholders, as well as internal stakeholders. sort of a liaison role.

3.1 is definitely reasonable. Maybe u can negotiate next time, but more often than not, in public organisations, increments are dependent on what your boss gives you

skills wise it shud be transferable, not to worry

Unregistered 25-04-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintus (Post 36096)
3.1 is definitely reasonable. Maybe u can negotiate next time, but more often than not, in public organisations, increments are dependent on what your boss gives you

skills wise it shud be transferable, not to worry

Are you serious that 3.1 is acceptable? I am not very sure about business related degree but for engineering side, offers are around $3.6k for 2nd upper and $3.8k for 1st class.

jobhunter1234 25-04-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36100)
Are you serious that 3.1 is acceptable? I am not very sure about business related degree but for engineering side, offers are around $3.6k for 2nd upper and $3.8k for 1st class.

I too feel that 3.1k is kinda low

Unregistered 25-04-2013 10:25 PM

Klkk

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36092)
biz admin with hons

In my opinion, you're being underpaid for a 2nd upper NUS BBA grad. You should be looking at somewhere closer to 4k (but of course you can't bargain with govt sector)

Not sure what stat board you're referring to..is it finance related? With your grades, you get a chance to enter banks' MA programs where starting salary is more than 4k already.

There are many MNCs with excellent prospects to consider as well.