Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   what is a fair amount for a fresh grad going into stat board? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2665-what-fair-amount-fresh-grad-going-into-stat-board.html)

verycurious 25-04-2013 02:36 PM

what is a fair amount for a fresh grad going into stat board?

i'm BBAH 2nd upper (NUS) grad, just got offered 3.1k (guy here) in a stat board. is that a fair amount to accept?

also, i'd like to ask - how difficult is it to switch jobs/industries into the private sector if i decide not to continue after 2 years? it's a front-office role, but the context it's set in isn't exactly applicable to what we can find in the private sector.

asking because i've been researching on pay scales, and it seems pretty long (10years+?) to hit perhaps 8-9k @ AD/DD position. Given the same performance, i should be able to hit that rate faster in the private sector, yes?

Quintus 25-04-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36089)
i'm BBAH 2nd upper (NUS) grad, just got offered 3.1k (guy here) in a stat board. is that a fair amount to accept?

also, i'd like to ask - how difficult is it to switch jobs/industries into the private sector if i decide not to continue after 2 years? it's a front-office role, but the context it's set in isn't exactly applicable to what we can find in the private sector.

asking because i've been researching on pay scales, and it seems pretty long (10years+?) to hit perhaps 8-9k @ AD/DD position. Given the same performance, i should be able to hit that rate faster in the private sector, yes?

yes, freshies dun get to bargain

maybe, depends on job role, front office is sort of broad, maybe u wud wanna elaborate on the statboard's function, etc

maybe, private sector isn't as highly paid unless u can really make it big

Quintus 25-04-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36089)

what's BBAH btw?

verycurious 25-04-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintus (Post 36091)
what's BBAH btw?

biz admin with hons

not really asking for negotiation, because i intend to ask for a raise only after i've proven my worth in the organization.

i can only say that the job has a lot of interaction with high-level external stakeholders, as well as internal stakeholders. sort of a liaison role.

Unregistered 25-04-2013 04:03 PM

Public sector you ask for raise? impossible la. What class of honours? is this stat board relevant to what you studied?

Now jobs all getting filled up already. Vacancies are decreasing day by day.

verycurious 25-04-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36093)
Public sector you ask for raise? impossible la. What class of honours? is this stat board relevant to what you studied?

Now jobs all getting filled up already. Vacancies are decreasing day by day.

did u read the entire post?

i'm a 2nd upper. yes what i study is completely relevant.

Quintus 25-04-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36092)
biz admin with hons

not really asking for negotiation, because i intend to ask for a raise only after i've proven my worth in the organization.

i can only say that the job has a lot of interaction with high-level external stakeholders, as well as internal stakeholders. sort of a liaison role.

3.1 is definitely reasonable. Maybe u can negotiate next time, but more often than not, in public organisations, increments are dependent on what your boss gives you

skills wise it shud be transferable, not to worry

Unregistered 25-04-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintus (Post 36096)
3.1 is definitely reasonable. Maybe u can negotiate next time, but more often than not, in public organisations, increments are dependent on what your boss gives you

skills wise it shud be transferable, not to worry

Are you serious that 3.1 is acceptable? I am not very sure about business related degree but for engineering side, offers are around $3.6k for 2nd upper and $3.8k for 1st class.

jobhunter1234 25-04-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36100)
Are you serious that 3.1 is acceptable? I am not very sure about business related degree but for engineering side, offers are around $3.6k for 2nd upper and $3.8k for 1st class.

I too feel that 3.1k is kinda low

Unregistered 25-04-2013 10:25 PM

Klkk

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36092)
biz admin with hons

In my opinion, you're being underpaid for a 2nd upper NUS BBA grad. You should be looking at somewhere closer to 4k (but of course you can't bargain with govt sector)

Not sure what stat board you're referring to..is it finance related? With your grades, you get a chance to enter banks' MA programs where starting salary is more than 4k already.

There are many MNCs with excellent prospects to consider as well.

qwerty 26-04-2013 02:11 AM

Is your 3.1k a probationary pay? It really seems abnormally low. If you don't mind, maybe you can reveal the industry for better advice.

verycurious 26-04-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty (Post 36118)
Is your 3.1k a probationary pay? It really seems abnormally low. If you don't mind, maybe you can reveal the industry for better advice.

it's not probationary pay. i'm a scholar and having asked around, even my FASS friends going into ministries are getting 3.7k-4.2k (2nd upper, girls).

i'm bonded, but at the same time i have offers from other MNCs (they searched for my school's database and found me, i didn't even apply). not sure whether it's a wise choice to go on the greener side.. but i guess i'd have to stick to the original plan - at least it shows i'm someone who keeps my word. :/

verycurious 26-04-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36107)
In my opinion, you're being underpaid for a 2nd upper NUS BBA grad. You should be looking at somewhere closer to 4k (but of course you can't bargain with govt sector)

Not sure what stat board you're referring to..is it finance related? With your grades, you get a chance to enter banks' MA programs where starting salary is more than 4k already.

There are many MNCs with excellent prospects to consider as well.

the stat board is not finance-related, but i'm in one of the key roles for the stat board.

i don't think it's fair to compare the pay to finance professions, but i believe i'm still underpaid when compared to jobs in similar industries..

Unregistered 26-04-2013 01:05 PM

follow your heart bro

qwerty 26-04-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36121)
it's not probationary pay. i'm a scholar and having asked around, even my FASS friends going into ministries are getting 3.7k-4.2k (2nd upper, girls).

i'm bonded, but at the same time i have offers from other MNCs (they searched for my school's database and found me, i didn't even apply). not sure whether it's a wise choice to go on the greener side.. but i guess i'd have to stick to the original plan - at least it shows i'm someone who keeps my word. :/

You're bonded where? Private or public sector? Why do you wish to break your bond? Being a scholar has no influence on your starting pay in other organizations.

I think your FASS friends are smoking you, even in the more elite agencies like MTI,MAS, MFA with good honours my friends are getting only around 3.8 and they are guys with the NS increment.

3.1k is reasonable for an average grad in the private sector, a biz grad that doesn't land a target job or MAP in a blue chip MNC will likely start around 3.2 or so I guess. In stat boards and ministries however, it's more about hons class(unless you're talking about a technical post), and a 2.1 degree mostly get 3.5k and above.

I just can't figure which stat board pays 3.1k. Which ministry is it under? Maybe try for a post in that particular ministry and see if you get a better offer.

verycurious 26-04-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty (Post 36129)
You're bonded where? Private or public sector? Why do you wish to break your bond? Being a scholar has no influence on your starting pay in other organizations.

I think your FASS friends are smoking you, even in the more elite agencies like MTI,MAS, MFA with good honours my friends are getting only around 3.8 and they are guys with the NS increment.

3.1k is reasonable for an average grad in the private sector, a biz grad that doesn't land a target job or MAP in a blue chip MNC will likely start around 3.2 or so I guess. In stat boards and ministries however, it's more about hons class(unless you're talking about a technical post), and a 2.1 degree mostly get 3.5k and above.

I just can't figure which stat board pays 3.1k. Which ministry is it under? Maybe try for a post in that particular ministry and see if you get a better offer.

i'm bonded to the public sector stat board - don't think there's a choice for me to move to the ministry (unless we're talking about internal transfer in the future).

those related to the 's2' jobs in public sector get 4.1k-ish.

i'm looking for advancement opportunities, and contrary to popular belief, there's no 'fast track' for scholars.

it would be damn obvious if i told u the ministry.. sorry.

qwerty 26-04-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36130)
i'm bonded to the public sector stat board - don't think there's a choice for me to move to the ministry (unless we're talking about internal transfer in the future).

those related to the 's2' jobs in public sector get 4.1k-ish.

i'm looking for advancement opportunities, and contrary to popular belief, there's no 'fast track' for scholars.

it would be damn obvious if i told u the ministry.. sorry.

Yup, I've heard that officially there's no 'fast track' for scholars as well but in virtually all organizations, talented individuals are earmarked by management early on and groomed for high post. Your scholar status might put you at an advantage there.

I think 3.1k really is low, but I'd just suck thumb and try to stick it out unless you have a confirmed 5k/mth offer or something. I'd be worried that breaking the bond jeopardize any future civil service application. Hope that they make some pay adjustments along the way and get your salary up to par.

How long is your bond anyway?

Unregistered 26-04-2013 09:17 PM

That seems abnormally low. I'm graduating as well. Also a scholar. Was told by friends inside the stat board I'm going to work for that ill get around 3.6kish.

Friends who got into civil service, males getting around 3.6kish as well.

In fact my female friends in stat boards seem to be getting 3.2kish.

How can you be getting only 3.1k? Are you sure? It should be around the same salary for all fresh grads in public/civil service (depending on honors at least, bar MFA and some other org)

I know it doesn't sound right but is it possible to ask why the discrepancy? 500ish is quite a bit...

A Civil Servant 26-04-2013 09:54 PM

You're right you may not be regarded as a high-po simply because you received a scholarship -

1. Its a local scholarship

2. You only graduated with a 2nd upper, not first class

You are quite far down the pecking order as far as the incoming batch of scholars are regarded - and maybe first class honours self-funded graduates from abroad, and perhaps locally, would be regarded ahead of you.

There is a fast track. Where I am, the A-Level scholars are given much more opportunities to be involved in workgroups, committees, and important presentations. They also have regular contact with upper management - the same ones that sit on the ranking committee come appraisal and promotion time.

You will swiftly find out, its not just about pure hard work, but also who you know, and who knows you.

Good luck wherever you might go.

verycurious 27-04-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Civil Servant (Post 36141)
You're right you may not be regarded as a high-po simply because you received a scholarship -

1. Its a local scholarship

2. You only graduated with a 2nd upper, not first class

You are quite far down the pecking order as far as the incoming batch of scholars are regarded - and maybe first class honours self-funded graduates from abroad, and perhaps locally, would be regarded ahead of you.

There is a fast track. Where I am, the A-Level scholars are given much more opportunities to be involved in workgroups, committees, and important presentations. They also have regular contact with upper management - the same ones that sit on the ranking committee come appraisal and promotion time.

You will swiftly find out, its not just about pure hard work, but also who you know, and who knows you.

Good luck wherever you might go.

going by the same line of thought, i think i have a lot of opportunities for visibility. i'm in touch with the C-level staff and have meetings/presentations with them almost every other day.

i'm in fact very close to a 1st class (4.49), but oh well, still considered 2nd upper. :(

verycurious 27-04-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36140)
That seems abnormally low. I'm graduating as well. Also a scholar. Was told by friends inside the stat board I'm going to work for that ill get around 3.6kish.

Friends who got into civil service, males getting around 3.6kish as well.

In fact my female friends in stat boards seem to be getting 3.2kish.

How can you be getting only 3.1k? Are you sure? It should be around the same salary for all fresh grads in public/civil service (depending on honors at least, bar MFA and some other org)

I know it doesn't sound right but is it possible to ask why the discrepancy? 500ish is quite a bit...

hi there,

may i know which stat board you work in? you can PM me if it's not convenient :)

Unregistered 27-04-2013 11:19 AM

Just a fair warning, for every 1 person who makes it big in the private sector, there are many more that failed and are stuck. In the private sector, stuck = low pay and no stability. You won't get headhunted and don't even think of jumping. You would wish that you had accepted the stat board back then. If a person is good, he is good. If a person is lousy, he can go to the private sector and still get stuck because he is lousy.

It is a myth that private sector > public sector especially for those who did not do well in school. The myth came about because people who don't do well need to justify their worth.

A Civil Servant 27-04-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36145)
going by the same line of thought, i think i have a lot of opportunities for visibility. i'm in touch with the C-level staff and have meetings/presentations with them almost every other day.

i'm in fact very close to a 1st class (4.49), but oh well, still considered 2nd upper. :(

Visibility cuts both ways - if you fail, your top management knows about it and you have no chance to recover. I have seen returning scholars kana Operation Cold Store, and others that rapidly rise and move through the ranks and even second to ministry and go on a second scholarship.

At the end of the day, it is just an opportunity and it is just visibility. Can succeed or not is entirely up to your capability.

verycurious 27-04-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Civil Servant (Post 36150)
Visibility cuts both ways - if you fail, your top management knows about it and you have no chance to recover. I have seen returning scholars kana Operation Cold Store, and others that rapidly rise and move through the ranks and even second to ministry and go on a second scholarship.

At the end of the day, it is just an opportunity and it is just visibility. Can succeed or not is entirely up to your capability.

That's for sure. I would rather have the visibility and do my best, rather than try to be low-profile/slack and not to be noticed by the key people.

Unregistered 24-05-2013 10:37 AM

Hi, hoping for some advice here.

I'd just been accepted for a midterm scholarship with a stat board, with a bond of 2 years. I'm on track to first class honours now. I would like to know more about the kind of salary range I should expect? is $3.8k and above for female reasonable?

darialim 27-05-2013 10:52 AM

i heard stat boards offer high pay to attract talent, but annual increment is not as high as private sector. is this true?

Unregistered 27-05-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darialim (Post 37583)
i heard stat boards offer high pay to attract talent, but annual increment is not as high as private sector. is this true?

It really varies across different stat boards, but in general you can expect roughly the same kind of renumerations as the average MNC. Which board do you have in mind?

Unregistered 27-05-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darialim (Post 37583)

Let just talk about annual increment,

to you, how much annual increment is consider high?? how many % increment?

How much is consider low?!?!

I work in private sector, annual increment for C grader to A grader range from 3.5-5.5%...do you this this is high??!?! it is totally bullsh!t!!!!

I read thru the post of salary/increment in civil service/stat board, their annual increment for average C can be 5%, to up to 13% for A grader!!!!!!!

Unregistered 28-05-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verycurious (Post 36121)

That's high pay, fass economics is it?

I'd never believe you if you said she got 4.2k doing philosophy.

Unregistered 28-05-2013 01:06 PM

ask for US$6k pm.