Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   pay for gov/public sector vs mnc vs sme (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2224-pay-gov-public-sector-vs-mnc-vs-sme.html)

bladez87 16-10-2012 04:11 PM

pay for gov/public sector vs mnc vs sme

All this time I thought private companies are offering higher pay compared to gov/public sector, however after working in a SME for 3 years and asking around, I begin to wonder how true that is.

Can anyone shed some light? After 3 years in my job, my pay is still lower than some uniformed group starting pay. If gov sector can provide 10% increment every year, it will still outgrow being in a private sector unless one can climb very fast.

Am I right?

Unregistered 16-10-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladez87 (Post 29117)
All this time I thought private companies are offering higher pay compared to gov/public sector, however after working in a SME for 3 years and asking around, I begin to wonder how true that is.

Can anyone shed some light? After 3 years in my job, my pay is still lower than some uniformed group starting pay. If gov sector can provide 10% increment every year, it will still outgrow being in a private sector unless one can climb very fast.

Am I right?

The earning curve is different b/w gov & pte sector lar. Rule of thumb, if you are mediocre, join gov, if you think you have what it takes to be a high flier, go pte.

For farmers gov usually pay higher from start to mid 30s, after that pte will catch up. For high fliers by age 40, pte can pay 3-4x gov pay. The super max a gov farmer can go by retirement is MX9 ~15k, roughly equal to a mid-low level mgr pay in MNC.

bladez87 16-10-2012 04:37 PM

15k is a lot more than what people are earning in private sector!
Not to mention now that private sector having a lot of FT as competition.
High fliers, how many can become senior management in a company? Hmm

Unregistered 16-10-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladez87 (Post 29117)

Am I right?

if gov provides 10% increment yearly it outgrows private sector

Unregistered 16-10-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladez87 (Post 29122)
15k is a lot more than what people are earning in private sector!
Not to mention now that private sector having a lot of FT as competition.
High fliers, how many can become senior management in a company? Hmm

That's why I say earlier if you think you are average calibre, better to join gov since got stability and start pay is good.

In a big MNC 15k is roughly a regional function manager for a few countries, quite low on the ladder. Also note that I am comparing high flier pte vs gov sector. In real life most farmers will maximum only hit low end of MX10 ~9k

bladez87 16-10-2012 04:59 PM

What about SME? Cause I believe that not everyone can reach that kind of level in MNC. That kind of position I believe usually goes to expats.

Unregistered 16-10-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladez87 (Post 29126)
What about SME? Cause I believe that not everyone can reach that kind of level in MNC. That kind of position I believe usually goes to expats.

i think it all depend on which industry you hail from?

cslee 16-10-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29123)
if gov provides 10% increment yearly it outgrows private sector

Maybe some high flying overseas scholars can get that amount consistently year-after-year, which is a minor elite group. Don't think average government workers can get that amount of merit increment consistently (i.e.good + bad years).

cslee 16-10-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29125)
That's why I say earlier if you think you are average calibre, better to join gov since got stability and start pay is good.

In a big MNC 15k is roughly a regional function manager for a few countries, quite low on the ladder. Also note that I am comparing high flier pte vs gov sector. In real life most farmers will maximum only hit low end of MX10 ~9k

According to the latest post of this website, an above-average COO / GM at 75 percentile made $15K. According to your definition, a COO is a low level manager. Never mind if there is only 1 COO per private company and there are usually several MX9 in any single government agency. So, where do you think you'll stand a higher chance to get into that level?

bladez87 16-10-2012 05:24 PM

How many people can actually hit 10k in their working life?
With the employment outlook so horrible, low wages, would people dare to job hop?