Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2023-civil-svc-statboard-typical-timeline-making-hiring-decision.html)

Unregistered 02-09-2020 01:12 PM

haha she seems so unprofessional.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144875)
Tks for the reassurance.

Venting is probably an understatement haha. She threw snide remarks like “tis attitude u won’t go far in the working world”

With everyone scrambling for jobs amidst the pandemic, I can’t possible bank all my chances on one job app. I don’t know why this HR lady had to throw me shade for it.

Unregistered 02-09-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144875)
Tks for the reassurance.

Venting is probably an understatement haha. She threw snide remarks like “tis attitude u won’t go far in the working world”

With everyone scrambling for jobs amidst the pandemic, I can’t possible bank all my chances on one job app. I don’t know why this HR lady had to throw me shade for it.

huh HR is quite strange, it's not like you accepted the verbal offer and then retracted it. you are free to accept other offers if they were favourable, bc you are also "interviewing" the company. HR shld usually be prepared if their candidate rejects their offer and have back-up candidates...

Unregistered 02-09-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144872)
Hello guys. Been reading the past few posts and have came to a conclusion that the hiring timeline for all public service jobs are pretty lengthy.

I am a recent fresh grad, have applied for an entry level role with a SB sometime back in June. Went for a short case test and two interviews (one with HR and Hiring Manager) a week after which was complete radio silence.

Like any other fresh grad, I am also concurrently applying to other places and have recently accepted an offer with a bank. Just yesterday, the SB that I applied to drop me a call giving me a verbal offer. I told them that I have already moved forward with the bank. The HR individual started on how unprofessional I am for not informing them and how I costed the dept precious man hours.

My question? Will I be “blacklisted” from applying to this SB in the near future? I really hope to pivot in during my mid career.

Based on what you have wrote, you have accepted another offer given by the bank before the verbal offer by SB, which is quite common actually. Technically speaking nothing wrong.

But you are partially right, if you decided to go back to SB (the same SB and same department), then that particular HR personnel might still remember you, provided that he/she is still handling the recruitment process for that department, she might "blacklist" you. BUT who knows, that HR might have already left the company few years later.

From my experience, if you apply different departments in the same SB, you still hold a similar chance unless the HR responsible for that department recruitment is the one that you have turned down previously. She MIGHT remember you.

And ultimately, even if you have rejected their offer the previous time, they will still shortlist you base on your achievements when you decided to pivot back in to PS in the future.

Unregistered 02-09-2020 02:31 PM

Im a mid careerist currently in a private SME. Have been applying for Gov jobs but none of the applications have had any updates. All states “submitted “ or “in process”.

Not even a chance for interview. I must say it’s quite demoralising as I’m looking to get out of my current job due to the overwhelming stress and anxiety that it brings.

Is 1 month a reasonable time to hold onto the application to? Or should i move on already?

Unregistered 02-09-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144883)
Im a mid careerist currently in a private SME. Have been applying for Gov jobs but none of the applications have had any updates. All states “submitted “ or “in process”.

Not even a chance for interview. I must say it’s quite demoralising as I’m looking to get out of my current job due to the overwhelming stress and anxiety that it brings.

Is 1 month a reasonable time to hold onto the application to? Or should i move on already?

Have the applications closed? What is the application window like and when did you apply?

I believe some HR only begin contacting candidates close to or after the application window has closed, whereas others contact them earlier.

Unregistered 02-09-2020 10:07 PM

anyone have experience after first interview and it went silence for close to 2 months? HR kept saying still pending.. :(

Unregistered 02-09-2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144818)
Don't worry too much about job ads such as on Linkedin, from what I know, most of these posts are automatically re-posted. Had a friend whose job position was still being advertised even after starting job.

For civil service/statboard, once they give verbal offer, their word is good! (unless u lied on your resume/failed medical and they found out) But the approval process may take a while depending on their internal processes.

If youre anxious, just drop them a call/email and ask them if there is any update update maybe 2 weeks? All the best! :)

Thanks for the comment. I really afraid because the job market is like pro employer.
I did dropped email to the admin since I only has admin email, she mentioned nothing pending at my side. Just have to wait.
But I really want to start new job ASAP. Current job drain out my passion and many interviews invitation coming. Just scare last minute decline then I lost in the end.
I was thinking to just tender. But it's too risky.

Unregistered 02-09-2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144902)
anyone have experience after first interview and it went silence for close to 2 months? HR kept saying still pending.. :(

It has been two weeks since 1st interview. No news for 2nd interview. What's app Hr also no response. But status still shows as 'in process'.

Unregistered 02-09-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144912)
It has been two weeks since 1st interview. No news for 2nd interview. What's app Hr also no response. But status still shows as 'in process'.

2 weeks still fine.. but mine is 2 months..

Unregistered 03-09-2020 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144913)
2 weeks still fine.. but mine is 2 months..

Typical. I call msg email.
1 month after final interview still in processing as per what hr said.

When in the 1st place they say only will max 2 weeks.
Guess it's a lengthy process.

Right now I'm waiting for other job offers. Giving till end of this month before I move on to accept the others cause I requested for holding period.

Gotta be realistic. After 2 months. Perhaps they don't even want me and I'm. Not 1st place candidate but a backup incase anybody didn't accept then they process mine.

Also the post about the hr. Really wtf rude as hell. Pls let us know what sb

Unregistered 03-09-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144914)
Typical. I call msg email.
1 month after final interview still in processing as per what hr said.

When in the 1st place they say only will max 2 weeks.
Guess it's a lengthy process.

as long as they said it's still in processing, i guess its good news! yea its quite a lengthy process so cant say for sure.

i had my interview 2 months ago and everything seemed good during the interview. Interviewers told me to expect a reply within 2 weeks, and check with HR if i needed an update.

2 weeks later, i emailed HR to check and got a generic reply saying they were still processing, which i (mistakenly) took as a negative sign.

Another 2 weeks later (total 4 weeks after interview) they surprised me with a call and an offer, saying they just finished all the interviews!

dont be too discouraged... if you're really keen on this job, keep checking in with HR every now and then...

Unregistered 03-09-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144920)
as long as they said it's still in processing, i guess its good news! yea its quite a lengthy process so cant say for sure.

i had my interview 2 months ago and everything seemed good during the interview. Interviewers told me to expect a reply within 2 weeks, and check with HR if i needed an update.

2 weeks later, i emailed HR to check and got a generic reply saying they were still processing, which i (mistakenly) took as a negative sign.

Another 2 weeks later (total 4 weeks after interview) they surprised me with a call and an offer, saying they just finished all the interviews!

dont be too discouraged... if you're really keen on this job, keep checking in with HR every now and then...

Sorry for posting a stupid question but where do you get the email of the HR person?

Unregistered 03-09-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144902)

May I ask which agency is that?

Unregistered 03-09-2020 11:57 AM

I have 8 jobs in process but no call for interviews at all. This is so frustrating T_T

Unregistered 03-09-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144927)
May I ask which agency is that?

GT. are you having similar experience?

Unregistered 03-09-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144930)
GT. are you having similar experience?

Similar experience, mine is with a Ministry and HR updated saying still processing after completing interview due to high volume of applications and to give them more time.. they say will try expedite and update me. Guess it's a really lengthy process

Unregistered 03-09-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144928)
I have 8 jobs in process but no call for interviews at all. This is so frustrating T_T

I have 6 jobs in process, 3 called for interviews. But the written tests and presentations are making me dread applying for ministries and stat boards.

The waiting time is killing me!

Unregistered 03-09-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144932)
Similar experience, mine is with a Ministry and HR updated saying still processing after completing interview due to high volume of applications and to give them more time.. they say will try expedite and update me. Guess it's a really lengthy process

HR also told me the same thing, said will check with the panel and get back to me. but never get back at all. the wait is really torturing..

Unregistered 03-09-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144933)
I have 6 jobs in process, 3 called for interviews. But the written tests and presentations are making me dread applying for ministries and stat boards.

The waiting time is killing me!

How long did it take for them to call you for interview after the application deadline?

Unregistered 03-09-2020 03:11 PM

Long waiting time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144944)
How long did it take for them to call you for interview after the application deadline?

Yeah interested to know this as well. I have a 'in process' for a job i applied 1 month ago and a 'shortlisted' for a job i applied almost 3 weeks back. Till now not a single call or email for interview. The other applications that were either 'submitted' or 'unsuccessful', i get it cuz it is quite obvious that i either failed or HR hasn't start processing the applications yet. But the 'in process' and 'shortlisted' ones really doesn't make sense to be so long.
I saw a lot of post on the long waiting time. Not sure if it is particularly from that small group of min/sb.

Unregistered 03-09-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144921)
Sorry for posting a stupid question but where do you get the email of the HR person?

i'm assuming u havent had an interview yet? If you did just reach out to whoever arranged the interview for u..

if not, usually after applying on Careers@gov they will send u an automated email signed off with the HR's name. You can try looking that name up the SGDI (govt directory) to get the email....

otherwise you just have to try your luck and see if their website has the HR's contact details

Unregistered 03-09-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144903)
Thanks for the comment. I really afraid because the job market is like pro employer.
I did dropped email to the admin since I only has admin email, she mentioned nothing pending at my side. Just have to wait.
But I really want to start new job ASAP. Current job drain out my passion and many interviews invitation coming. Just scare last minute decline then I lost in the end.
I was thinking to just tender. But it's too risky.

hang in there!!!

DO NOT TENDER!!! honestly having a job even if its a shitty one is usually better than having none. from what i know, in general, having a job also gives you more leverage/bargaining power at interviews.. employers typically would prefer someone who is currently employed but is looking out for a better opportunity than someone who says "i quit my prev job because it was not good"

there are definitely many (valid) reasons why your prev job is not good but i think to future employers the first impression counts quite a bit! anyways in this job market having some financial security will definitely be a big plus too...

For now, just keep a lookout for any other job openings that might catch your eye and apply when they come.... be patient with yourself... all the best!!

Unregistered 03-09-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144944)

For the 3 that I was called for interview

1) submitted 30 July, interview was 19 August
2) submitted 26 June, interview was 31 August
3) submitted 21 August, interview 3 Sep

I have 23 July, 7 Aug, 18 Aug still under process mode.

Some under unsuccessful as short as 3 days

Unregistered 03-09-2020 03:47 PM

To contribute,

I applied on 3rd May
First interview on 12th May
Second interview 4th June
Job offer on 16th June
Signed contract on 24th June

Unregistered 03-09-2020 03:59 PM

Unsuccessful

I applied for 3 positions on 9 July. All 3 changed the status to ‘shortlisted’ on 2 August. However no calls for any interviews up till now. Today, just received email from one of the position that i am unsuccessful. Why did they even changed the status to shortlisted in the first place and didn’t even give any chance for an interview. So depressing.

Unregistered 04-09-2020 08:26 PM

Hi all, just to check, will HR requests for clearance form / G50 form even if they dont have intention to hire you?

Unregistered 04-09-2020 10:43 PM

Is it true that if within 2 weeks there isn’t an interview, it’s more or less gone case? Got a private sector 2nd interview coming up but my preference would be to join the sb but so far no calls from them yet:(

Unregistered 04-09-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145005)
Hi all, just to check, will HR requests for clearance form / G50 form even if they dont have intention to hire you?

yes, unfortunately

Unregistered 04-09-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145011)
Is it true that if within 2 weeks there isn’t an interview, it’s more or less gone case? Got a private sector 2nd interview coming up but my preference would be to join the sb but so far no calls from them yet:(

it depends on whether the sb/ministry is still accepting applications. some sb/min only interview once applications have closed, others will interview as soon as they can.

i would think that 2.5 weeks after the applications have closed, if there isnt a call for an interview, you'd stand a lower chance of getting called. anything before that, i think is still good!

Unregistered 04-09-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145013)
yes, unfortunately

even after the interview? why would they request for clearance form if they have chosen other candidates instead.

Unregistered 05-09-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145015)
even after the interview? why would they request for clearance form if they have chosen other candidates instead.

they may not have chosen other candidates yet... could be the case where they have 2/3 candidates shortlisted and they will request all 3 to do clearance/medical forms...

g50 process takes q a while, so they might start the process even before making an offer

Unregistered 05-09-2020 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145017)
they may not have chosen other candidates yet... could be the case where they have 2/3 candidates shortlisted and they will request all 3 to do clearance/medical forms...

g50 process takes q a while, so they might start the process even before making an offer

ok that makes sense. Thanks!

Unregistered 07-09-2020 01:42 AM

Also because G50 is a determining factor on the final hiring decision
If you can't pass G50. They won't even hire you even if your the best candidate. Which is why even before the interview they have u fill it up.

Kinda like a selection criteria also

Unregistered 07-09-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144948)
hang in there!!!

DO NOT TENDER!!! honestly having a job even if its a shitty one is usually better than having none. from what i know, in general, having a job also gives you more leverage/bargaining power at interviews.. employers typically would prefer someone who is currently employed but is looking out for a better opportunity than someone who says "i quit my prev job because it was not good"

there are definitely many (valid) reasons why your prev job is not good but i think to future employers the first impression counts quite a bit! anyways in this job market having some financial security will definitely be a big plus too...

For now, just keep a lookout for any other job openings that might catch your eye and apply when they come.... be patient with yourself... all the best!!

Thanks for advise. Yeah. I saw a mnc has new role opening and going to try.
Just backup plan in case clearance or final offer hiccups.
Because I really want to leave current job.

Unregistered 07-09-2020 01:30 PM

I had applied to a ministry and was asked to complete a medical health questionnaire two weeks after the final interview. I was also told by HR that I was further shortlisted pending admin clearances and to inform them if I have other job offers or decide to withdraw my application. So does this means they are in process of clearance for the hiring approval? By the way, the HR didn't mention any word of "job offer". Thanks

Unregistered 07-09-2020 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145139)
I had applied to a ministry and was asked to complete a medical health questionnaire two weeks after the final interview. I was also told by HR that I was further shortlisted pending admin clearances and to inform them if I have other job offers or decide to withdraw my application. So does this means they are in process of clearance for the hiring approval? By the way, the HR didn't mention any word of "job offer". Thanks

which ministry is this?

sounds like there is a chance that they are preparing to offer soon. did they ask you anything else like are you still interested etc?

but of course, best would be to ask them directly what is the status / next steps.... all the best!

Unregistered 07-09-2020 02:55 PM

Hr asked me to fill up a form which requires details of spouse and birth certs of kids if below 12 years old one day prior to interview. Is that part of g50?

Unregistered 07-09-2020 02:59 PM

Does G50 only applies to ministries? Or can it also apply to stat boards, organs of states, etc.? I don't think the majority of roles require G50 clearance, is that correct?

Unregistered 07-09-2020 03:38 PM

G50 is for if you handle government data.
Don't need to be ministry or sb or etc to be qualified for g50

As long u work or work with something to do with govt all need clear g50

Unregistered 07-09-2020 05:44 PM

Interview at star board, what to wear? Need jacket plus tie?