Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 31-10-2022 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 233261)
Thanks for sharing the concerns. It is very eye-opening to understand how teaching jobs have evolved over the years from one that is centred mostly on teaching and delivering the syllabus, to one that involves anything and everything such as mental health, CCA, sex ed, admin, school events, logistics, etc. perhaps institutionalise a team of non-teaching staffs in each school whose role is to coordinate and manage these non-teaching activities (of course they may rope in teachers flto provide support and assistance and brainstorming). This will offload teachers workload substantially??

The problem is that if everyone just focus on teaching, there is little for management to carry out performance appraisal on.

At the end of the day, the system demands a quota of A, B, C and Ds.

The amount of non-teaching work people take on will then be the deciding factor.

Unregistered 31-10-2022 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 233883)
The problem is that if everyone just focus on teaching, there is little for management to carry out performance appraisal on.

At the end of the day, the system demands a quota of A, B, C and Ds.

The amount of non-teaching work people take on will then be the deciding factor.

But of course, right? Performance as a teacher, appraised based on how well you take care of $10k worth of assets, or how well you supervised the vendor in setting up the tentage for the school event.

Unregistered 01-11-2022 01:46 PM

Screw the performance appraisal

Unregistered 01-11-2022 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 233927)
Screw the performance appraisal

volunteering for a 'D'?

Unregistered 01-11-2022 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 233542)
s://singaporeuncensored.com/teacher-quits-job-for-new-employment-in-i-t-industry-earn-much-more-can-wfh/

wfh or not, important thing is to take care of your own mental health and do what you enjoy without regrets

Unregistered 02-11-2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 233928)
volunteering for a 'D'?

Im so scared .

Unregistered 02-11-2022 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 233261)
Thanks for sharing the concerns. It is very eye-opening to understand how teaching jobs have evolved over the years from one that is centred mostly on teaching and delivering the syllabus, to one that involves anything and everything such as mental health, CCA, sex ed, admin, school events, logistics, etc. perhaps institutionalise a team of non-teaching staffs in each school whose role is to coordinate and manage these non-teaching activities (of course they may rope in teachers flto provide support and assistance and brainstorming). This will offload teachers workload substantially??

Every teacher a Form Teacher
Every teacher a CCA Teacher
Every teacher a Committee Member
Every teacher a CCE Teacher
Every teacher a First Aid Trained Teacher
Every teacher a S.Ed Trained Teacher
Every teacher an E-Pedagogy Facilitator

Was anything missed out?

I guess some people manage to "exempt" themselves from some of these. But most will be carrying these workload?

Unregistered 02-11-2022 07:52 PM

Result is all that matters

Teaching is our bread and butter. At the end of the day, other than projects and initiatives, the most important of all is as a math/English/science teacher, can you produce result? Performance ranking can be based on tt or by qualitative survey too.

Unregistered 02-11-2022 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234066)
Teaching is our bread and butter. At the end of the day, other than projects and initiatives, the most important of all is as a math/English/science teacher, can you produce result? Performance ranking can be based on tt or by qualitative survey too.

Partially true. But I will say ranking is also about HOW you work with colleagues (especially KPs) since it’s really about perception. Even if you do a lot, if their perception of you isn’t good, you will never be good. But if their perception of you is good, the little that you contributed will be seen as ‘very good’ work done and they will amplify it. KPI in teaching is really unquantifiable. Ranking is really perception and how you can convince majority of the KPs that you are good.

Unregistered 02-11-2022 09:57 PM

Open Posting

Hi all,

I was on maternity leave this year when the open posting exercise took place so I did not get to see the schools and teaching subjects available, just out of curiosity I am wondering if this information is still available anywhere?

My child is going to pri school in a few years and I am planning to apply for open posting next year so that my child can study in the same school I am teaching in. I’d like to know how open posting is like? What are the schools actually looking for in the applicants?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences :)