Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 09-04-2020 09:31 PM

Look through adverts in June. Shortlist those you are interested in and apply. Not all may ask you down for interview, so better to cast your net wider. If/when you get the offers, will need to decide which one to accept.

Some schools might offer and demand you confirm faster (because if you're not interested, they'd rather go on to the next choice already). So if your second/third preferred school makes the offer first, you'll be put in a situation where you have to make a difficult choice.

But can just figure that out later, if it comes down to that…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132026)
Anyone with open posting experience to share?

Unregistered 09-04-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132038)
Look through adverts in June. Shortlist those you are interested in and apply. Not all may ask you down for interview, so better to cast your net wider. If/when you get the offers, will need to decide which one to accept.

Some schools might offer and demand you confirm faster (because if you're not interested, they'd rather go on to the next choice already). So if your second/third preferred school makes the offer first, you'll be put in a situation where you have to make a difficult choice.

But can just figure that out later, if it comes down to that…

Do you have to prepare resume? What should it consist?
I am still in my first posted school. Not sure how it works.

Unregistered 09-04-2020 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131260)
2014: Info Comm CCA, BT, Committee is CCE, ICT Champion, level coordinator
2015: Info Comm CCA, Committee is CCE, ICT Champion, level coordinator
2016: Performing arts CCA, Committee is CCE, ICT Champion, level coordinator
2017: Performing arts CCA, Committee is CCE, ICT Champion, level coordinator
2018: Performing arts CCA, Committee is SWC, level coordinator
2019: sports CCA, committee is cockpit, level coordinator
2020: sports cca IC, committee is cockpit

GEO 3 and 7 years of teaching...hmmm, assume you've been in the same school? your school many high performers ah? tbh, your portfolio is weak except for the sports cca IC.

Unregistered 10-04-2020 07:31 AM

Hmm I don’t quite recall if it’s a must. MOE has an auto-generated resume that schools can reference, but I've also been asked to provide one as well. Think it's best to just prep something.

Academic record & job experience would be the key things to include. Unfortunately, in SG, p tend to still care about O and A level results (so good for you if you did well then).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132039)
Do you have to prepare resume? What should it consist?
I am still in my first posted school. Not sure how it works.

Unregistered 13-04-2020 09:16 PM

May I know if being a cooperating teacher to a trainee teacher considered a good addition in the portfolio for those going for teaching track?

Unregistered 14-04-2020 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132040)
GEO 3 and 7 years of teaching...hmmm, assume you've been in the same school? your school many high performers ah? tbh, your portfolio is weak except for the sports cca IC.

Then goner already i guess.... Sigh....

P said years in service and subgrade and could be CEP. P said she wasn't told of the HR formula to calculate.

No more promotions in October?

Unregistered 14-04-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132194)
May I know if being a cooperating teacher to a trainee teacher considered a good addition in the portfolio for those going for teaching track?

Probably yes. For those aiming to advance in the teaching track, "Professional Development of Others" is a very important area in your EPMS and your portfolio to focus on.

Unregistered 14-04-2020 12:33 PM

Oct promotees are usually informed before Apr as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132203)

Unregistered 14-04-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132203)
Then goner already i guess.... Sigh....

P said years in service and subgrade and could be CEP. P said she wasn't told of the HR formula to calculate.

aiyah many factors involved, one look at your port and it's evident you're not involved in "impactful/value-added" projects. all work is important but perhaps you have high-perf in your sub grade who are doing more?

you want to be promoted then go ask to be onboard large scale events or ask if you can be considered for leadership positions?

Unregistered 16-04-2020 11:44 AM

Thinking of applying to a HQ position during Open Posting in June. Any position will do for me as I'm tired of classroom teaching, and want to switch to a new environment (and also I'm moving house, so it'd be inconvenient to travel to my current school).

Can anyone share the process? Besides preparing a resume, applying for the opening, what else can we expect? Interview and anything else?