Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Worst type of engineer (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1655-worst-type-engineer.html)

poor and stupid 30-12-2011 01:24 AM

Worst type of engineer

So we KNOW engineer really SUCKS in singapore. and many people probably cant get out of engineering.

So which kind of engineer is the worst of all?

Here is my list from worst(top) to best(bottom)
Design engineer
Firmware/software engineer
Hardware engineer
PCB engineer
Application engineer
Field engineer
Process engineer
Sales engineer
Any other engineer that is better?

What are you views?

Unregistered 30-12-2011 09:04 AM

Well, you forgot to mention that petrochemical/ oil and gas engineers earn a lot more than the rest. Go check it out.

Wiseman1 30-12-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 19205)
So we KNOW engineer really SUCKS in singapore. and many people probably cant get out of engineering.

Design engineer
Hardware engineer
PCB engineer
Application engineer
Field engineer
Process engineer
Sales engineer

What are you views?

Engineering is generally a crap place to be in, with lousy work environment and compensation, but if you really cant get out of it, try to branch out into more lucrative areas within engineering:

(1) Software architecture engineer in bulge bracket Investment banks
(2) Sales engineers in big software MNCs

These are the very few areas with promises of decent compensation and nice downtown office work environment

Unregistered 30-12-2011 12:12 PM

Not sure of the remuneration of other engineers.
A Chief Engineer of a semi sub draws in the region of US$20K per month.
Not easy to attain this position though but that's the potential earning for those who are capable.

Unregistered 30-12-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19217)
Not easy to attain this position though but that's the potential earning for those who are capable.

Want to compare with chief engineer might as well go for banking or consultancy, got more chance and bonus higher.

Unregistered 30-12-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19217)

Sounds inflated, a TECH semiconductor manager overseeing failure analysis section only earns Singdollar 9k a month, hard to believe 20k/month, which plant is that?

Bean 30-12-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19225)
Sounds inflated, a TECH semiconductor manager overseeing failure analysis section only earns Singdollar 9k a month, hard to believe 20k/month, which plant is that?

sort of agree.

a female friend of mine have been with TECH semicon for 6 years since fresh grad, now basic is low $5k

Unregistered 30-12-2011 07:16 PM

Hmm maybe i made a mistake asking which type, but if i asked what field then i guess it must be electronics and environment

Unregistered 30-12-2011 07:49 PM

In banks, many VPs and SVPs make 20k. If you are ang moh or India Indian, you make more.

Unregistered 30-12-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19219)
Want to compare with chief engineer might as well go for banking or consultancy, got more chance and bonus higher.

Then you start a thread for banking or consultancy and list the kind of chance and bonus one can earn in that industry.

Unregistered 30-12-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19225)

A semi-sub is a type of drilling oil rig that floats on water. Go google semi-submersible rig. I think the range should be around USD20k to 30k per month probably for a chief engineer.

Unregistered 21-01-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 19205)

Design engineer
Hardware engineer
PCB engineer
Application engineer
Field engineer
Process engineer
Sales engineer

What are you views?

A sales engineer's job scope consists of sales, field application and tech support. In sg, many "sales engineers" are actually just salesmen. Tech related stuff is done by application or field engineers instead. So for poly grads, being a sales engineer is the best option. Don't need a degree to earn a degree holder equivalent pay.

Also, these are just job titles. Truth is, the Engineer title is reserved for professional engineers only, just like the Doctor title for PhDs, MDs etc. People qualified to use the title of Engineer are actually very well paid, even in sg. My uncle is one of them and people simply won't believe he is a hardcore engineer by looking at the car he drives.

Unregistered 22-01-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19930)
A sales engineer's job scope consists of sales, field application and tech support. In sg, many "sales engineers" are actually just salesmen. Tech related stuff is done by application or field engineers instead. So for poly grads, being a sales engineer is the best option. Don't need a degree to earn a degree holder equivalent pay.

Also, these are just job titles. Truth is, the Engineer title is reserved for professional engineers only, just like the Doctor title for PhDs, MDs etc. People qualified to use the title of Engineer are actually very well paid, even in sg. My uncle is one of them and people simply won't believe he is a hardcore engineer by looking at the car he drives.

What industry pays the wages for a sales engineer? I have a friend working in a us electronics component firm as sales manager, earning 6k only including car allowances, 12 years experience, drives a humble vios. She has a nus degree.

Which industry is your uncle working in? He drives what car?

Unregistered 28-01-2012 02:59 PM

Professional engineers can use the name prefix "Er" in Sg. I heard it isn't so easy to get the license from PEB though.

Unregistered 28-01-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20091)
Professional engineers can use the name prefix "Er" in Sg. I heard it isn't so easy to get the license from PEB though.

Only goons use the Er prefix.

Even the use of Dr is now frowned upon, cos people will suspect you bought the PhD thanks to people like Clemen Chiang and Mary Chia.

Unregistered 28-01-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Stupid... Who gives a "s.h.i.t" whether you've got an "ER" infront of your name or not?? The fact is that engineers earns so little... Just a bunch of low-income losers trying to self-compensate themselves with inflated titles..... Pathetic losers...

Unregistered 28-01-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

The name "Er" already sound so stupid and lost. It will attracts 3 types of response:

1. Whats that?
2. Oh, you have a low paying job. (for the rare few who knows what is this)
3. Is that your surname?

Unregistered 28-01-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20106)
The name "Er" already sound so stupid and lost. It will attracts 3 types of response:

1. Whats that?
2. Oh, you have a low paying job. (for the rare few who knows what is this)
3. Is that your surname?

It's used by a grand total of 1 person in Singapore. She's from the same group of people who tell us that in NS the "white horse" label was used so that the privileged white horses won't be given preferential treatment, and that GST was raised to help the poor. Classic.

IT director 29-01-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19934)
What industry pays the wages for a sales engineer? I have a friend working in a us electronics component firm as sales manager, earning 6k only including car allowances, 12 years experience, drives a humble vios. She has a nus degree.

Which industry is your uncle working in? He drives what car?

Thats quite low. I work in IT with 12 yrs experience and drawing close to 16K monthly including car allowance and I drive a bmw 5 series

Unregistered 29-01-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT director (Post 20125)
Thats quite low. I work in IT with 12 yrs experience and drawing close to 16K monthly including car allowance and I drive a bmw 5 series

WTF?!!... i've also worked in engineering for 12 years and i only draw 3.7k... Where is the tallest rooftop?!! Gong Xi Fa Cai!!!

Unregistered 29-01-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20137)
WTF?!!... i've also worked in engineering for 12 years and i only draw 3.7k... Where is the tallest rooftop?!! Gong Xi Fa Cai!!!

You can try Bedok reservoir.

Unregistered 29-01-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20138)
You can try Bedok reservoir.

That side no more space to die... already saturated with white FT floating about... Even the water tank lobang also picha by black FT sometime back... Singapore indeed number 1... Even want to find a place to die also so difficult need to compete with FT...

Unregistered 29-01-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT director (Post 20125)

Wow, 16k per month is equivalent to 200k per year, you should have either 100 or so subordinates to manage, or $5-10mm project to manage.
Is it a mnc related to oil and gas?

I know a cloud computing data centre director making 350k, excluding bonus, but he drives a honda civic, perhaps your bonus much more than his

Unregistered 29-01-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20153)
Wow, 16k per month is equivalent to 200k per year, you should have either 100 or so subordinates to manage, or $5-10mm project to manage.

I know a cloud computing data centre director making 350k, excluding bonus, but he drives a honda civic, perhaps your bonus much more than his

Civic is for those making 50k. At 350k, he should drive a Porsche.

Anonymous 29-01-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20156)
Civic is for those making 50k. At 350k, he should drive a Porsche.

Sure or not? It's not very prudent to spend on a car at 50k per annum.
A porsche also seems a stretch at 350k.
People I know who earn that kind of money usually drive cars in the 150k range.

Unregistered 29-01-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20153)

Yes i manage a $10M project. My bonus is not much though. Anyway im close to paying off the outstanding loan on my landed home, so the car is not too big a financial burden

Unregistered 29-01-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous (Post 20158)

Talk to a car salesman. You will be surprised that there are many 5k earners driving beemers.

Unregistered 30-01-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20160)
Talk to a car salesman. You will be surprised that there are many 5k earners driving beemers.

Then some still need to borrow $$ from friends to pump car petrol... Some keep pestering you to return him the coins when ordering drinks at kopi shop... It's really amazing how stingy these showoffs can be just to keep up with appearances... Ha, ha, ha...

Unregistered 30-01-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20159)
Yes i manage a $10M project. My bonus is not much though. Anyway im close to paying off the outstanding loan on my landed home, so the car is not too big a financial burden

Good for u.

But paying off landed mortgage in 12 yrs when u are only drawing $16k now (prob only $3 to 5k for first 4 yrs), w low bonus, and high expenses (bmw), sounds like a fantasy ... unless its a v v cheap landed or your dad had paid a large downpayment for u.

The numbers just don't work out.

Hermit 30-01-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous (Post 20158)

Anonymous, maybe these friends are in the public sector and tend to be more conservative and less showy? There seems to be no lack of young people coughing out their guts to drive a swanky car these days. ;)

Unregistered 30-01-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit (Post 20174)
Anonymous, maybe these friends are in the public sector and tend to be more conservative and less showy? There seems to be no lack of young people coughing out their guts to drive a swanky car these days. ;)

Agree. The trend is there are more such young showy people, not less.

Unregistered 30-01-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20175)
Agree. The trend is there are more such young showy people, not less.

I think it is largely due to the fact that most Singaporean girls prefer guys who drives a car.... A lot of these young chaps only earns about 3k a month..
Driving a car wipes out half of their take home income... But i guess they think it is worth it because the car really do gets them the chicks...

Unregistered 30-01-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20193)
I think it is largely due to the fact that most Singaporean girls prefer guys who drives a car.... A lot of these young chaps only earns about 3k a month..
Driving a car wipes out half of their take home income... But i guess they think it is worth it because the car really do gets them the chicks...

With 3k only, are you sure they can afford a beemer?

Unregistered 31-01-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20195)
With 3k only, are you sure they can afford a beemer?

Possible to take loan $180k, monthly instalment ~$1700. If months are tight, some ask parents to "lend" few hundreds first.

Unregistered 31-01-2012 03:18 PM

If it is a Chinese Ah Lian = EZLink card enough to get you a grade C. Motorbike gets you a grade B. 10 year old lancer with Evo sticker gets you a B+. Add a GT wing and "zhng" the exhaust should get you a A standard chiobu.

If you want to jio an educated SG girl (with degree): EZLink gets you grade F. (F for Fugly). Taxi (motorbike CMI) gets you grade C. Korean/Jap car gets you grade B. BMW/ALDI (and other EU model) gets you a Grade A.

However, If you are an angmoh no money no ride also can.. SG Girls happy to provide you free ride ;D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20193)

Unregistered 31-01-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20218)
If it is a Chinese Ah Lian = EZLink card enough to get you a grade C. Motorbike gets you a grade B. 10 year old lancer with Evo sticker gets you a B+. Add a GT wing and "zhng" the exhaust should get you a A standard chiobu.

If you want to jio an educated SG girl (with degree): EZLink gets you grade F. (F for Fugly). Taxi (motorbike CMI) gets you grade C. Korean/Jap car gets you grade B. BMW/ALDI (and other EU model) gets you a Grade A.

However, If you are an angmoh no money no ride also can.. SG Girls happy to provide you free ride ;D

Good analysis and breakdown!! It's so sad that Singaporean men are even losing our charbor to ang mo FT... sigh....

Unregistered 31-01-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20218)

I agree, i drive merc c200, can sweet talk, crack jokes, there is no lack of early 30's highly educated singapore ladies willing to be frens with benefits

Unregistered 01-02-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20224)
Good analysis and breakdown!! It's so sad that Singaporean men are even losing our charbor to ang mo FT... sigh....

Ang moh can even get away with molest charge:

Man accused of groping stewardess during flight acquitted 30 January 2012 1311
A Ukrainian man accused of groping the buttocks and breasts of a Singapore Airlines stewardess in an aircraft has been acquitted. (CNA)

... whereas local uncle:

Former cabby jailed for molesting neighbour's maid 30 January 2012 1326
A former taxi driver was jailed two weeks on Monday after he molested his neighbour's maid in July last year. (CNA)

... and security guard:

Man jailed for molesting woman on bus 31 January 2012 1826
A former security officer has been sentenced to four months' jail for molesting a woman on a public bus. (CNA)

Unregistered 01-02-2012 07:30 AM

I'm sure. You even go to the extent of decorating up your merc taxi right? You are a model taxi driver!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20229)
I agree, i drive merc c200, can sweet talk, crack jokes, there is no lack of early 30's highly educated singapore ladies willing to be frens with benefits

Unregistered 01-02-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20232)
Ang moh can even get away with molest charge:

Man accused of groping stewardess during flight acquitted 30 January 2012 1311
A Ukrainian man accused of groping the buttocks and breasts of a Singapore Airlines stewardess in an aircraft has been acquitted. (CNA)

... whereas local uncle:

Former cabby jailed for molesting neighbour's maid 30 January 2012 1326
A former taxi driver was jailed two weeks on Monday after he molested his neighbour's maid in July last year. (CNA)

... and security guard:

Man jailed for molesting woman on bus 31 January 2012 1826
A former security officer has been sentenced to four months' jail for molesting a woman on a public bus. (CNA)

Ang Mo "TUA KI" mah, woman like big big long long one....