Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   My Salary Advice (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1585-my-salary-advice.html)

Unregistered 14-11-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18060)
German MNC means caucasian culture with lots of angmos. So they are very open with work attitudes, and not micro.
They give credit where it is due, so expect the converse situation will be true as well.
Otherwise, working environment should be better than local firms.
Salary is mostly benchmarked to your previous job, that's why you must jump ship every few years, in order to upscale yourself.

Germans are among the most conservative ang mohs. You will be surprised that they are quite similar to us in terms of thinking!

Unregistered 14-11-2011 08:31 PM

Germans and Dutch are the most kiam siap of the EU

Only less Kiam Siap than local SG SME bosses :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18063)
Germans are among the most conservative ang mohs. You will be surprised that they are quite similar to us in terms of thinking!

UncleScrooge 16-11-2011 11:13 AM

Damn right man, Singapore bosses are super salted fish (kiam). Find employee like shopping for discount clothes. Want cheap and want good. Some more when hired already, try to squeeze you for all their money's worth.

German bosses are less generous and quite demanding, it's true. But believe me, STILL BETTER THAN LOCAL ONE. At least when it's time to stop working, like it's a weekend or something, they will leave you alone. They take what they pay for and that's it. Singapore bosses want you to sacrifice your private time as well, and for the peanuts that they chuck at you.

But anyway, I think you can get at least 4k. It depends on what kind of programming you do. You can use this method to go and argue for higher pay:

Get Paid More: How to Negotiate a Higher Salary | MoneySmart.sg

Unregistered 16-11-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18073)
Germans and Dutch are the most kiam siap of the EU

Only less Kiam Siap than local SG SME bosses :)

really ah, germans and dutch bosses most kiam siap ah?

how is the dutch working style like, anyone can advise?

Unregistered 17-11-2011 12:16 PM

I'm currenlty working in a german company , and everything seems fine, ang mo are more flexible with things and doesn't realli like to micro manage or scrutinize

UncleScrooge 17-11-2011 05:00 PM

I worked under a German boss before, for a magazine. Their management style is indeed different. In Singapore, the boss will tell you step by step what to do. But the German guy just gave us an overview of what he wanted, and left us to decide on how to get there.

I like that, but I know some Singaporeans are just not used to it. They want to be told exactly what to do. Not because they are dumb, but because if anything goes wrong, they can say it's not their fault, the boss told them to do. :D

Unregistered 18-11-2011 12:26 PM

Those few German bosses I worked with are not anything that was described here. First of all, they are very particular about you following the way they work, and when they make mistakes, they try to cover it and find scapegoats. And when you have a better idea than theirs, they will "improve" your idea (usually merge some of their "good" ideas) and make it theirs. Even if they are dependent on you, they wont admit it, and will be the first among the team members to join another company when things go really bad. But that is just my experience, I am sure there are good bosses, regardless of race.