Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much $ do you give your parents every month? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1492-how-much-do-you-give-your-parents-every-month.html)

megasoma 02-09-2011 04:42 PM

How much $ do you give your parents every month?

For me: $0

Unregistered 02-09-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megasoma (Post 15883)

For me: $0

You unfilial sob....your parents were better off giving birth to char siew than to you.....at least can eat the char siew...

Unregistered 02-09-2011 05:42 PM

megasoma, so how much does your parents give you a month?

Unregistered 02-09-2011 06:21 PM

Some parents are rich. They don't need any money.

My wife and I give a combined $2.5k to both sides.

Unregistered 02-09-2011 06:48 PM

I give between 27%-30% of my monthly salary to my parents.

I earn around $3500(before cpf deduction), mean I give around $1000+/-$200.

If my parents need medical care I also sponsor them on top of the monthly $1000.
I also sponsor them the angbao $$ sometimes when they attend relatives wedding dinner.
I also sponsor them the whitegold $$ sometimes when they attend relatives funeral.

I also give them about 30% of my AWS(bonus) during CNY.

I pay my own university fee about $24000.
I pay for my own HP bill/transportation.
I pay for my own when getting a driving license.

Parent pay for utility bill for the whole household about $100/mth.
Parent pay for internet bill about $25/mth.

During my university days, parents only give me allowance total of about $2400 for the duration of 4 years course. If I need $ to buy lecture note/meals/other entertainment, I use my saving which I save up during NS.

Unregistered 04-09-2011 10:34 PM

This is as it should be. Your parents must have done something right to have such a good son. If your folks are not working or not earning much, the allowance from you will help them live a more dignified life. If they don't need your allowance, I am sure they will save it up and eventually the savings will go back to you.

Another good thing that will come out of your filial piety is that you are now getting a taste of running a household. What you are doing now will put you in a good position to run your own household when you have your own family. Then you will have to handle all the bills and living expenses of your family and allowances to your parents and parent-in laws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15889)
I give between 27%-30% of my monthly salary to my parents.

I earn around $3500(before cpf deduction), mean I give around $1000+/-$200.

If my parents need medical care I also sponsor them on top of the monthly $1000.
I also sponsor them the angbao $$ sometimes when they attend relatives wedding dinner.
I also sponsor them the whitegold $$ sometimes when they attend relatives funeral.

I also give them about 30% of my AWS(bonus) during CNY.

I pay my own university fee about $24000.
I pay for my own HP bill/transportation.
I pay for my own when getting a driving license.

Parent pay for utility bill for the whole household about $100/mth.
Parent pay for internet bill about $25/mth.

During my university days, parents only give me allowance total of about $2400 for the duration of 4 years course. If I need $ to buy lecture note/meals/other entertainment, I use my saving which I save up during NS.

Unregistered 04-09-2011 11:35 PM

my parents dont need my monthly contributions but i still make it a point to give them $450 per mth.

waynekwek 07-09-2011 08:16 AM

30%

Right from the 1st day of work till now, been more than 10 years. I never fail to give my parents allowance every month: exactly 30% of my take-home pay. No matter if they need the money or not, its one of a form of filial piety because of the huge sacrifices they made for their children.

Unregistered 07-09-2011 09:16 AM

Sadly, I am still partially supporting my children who are almost 30 yrs old even though I spent almost $1m on all their overseas education. Am setting up a trust fund to take care of them after I'm gone because they (especially one of them) are quite spendthrift and I'm afraid if they get all my money in a lump sum, they will squander it. When I think back, perhaps I should not have pampered them so much....

Unregistered 07-09-2011 12:27 PM

i don't earn much but i put aside between $300-$500 per month for my parents. I hope to give them more in the future.

Even if I'm "broke", i still give them some.

For some reason, if i don't give them any "allowance", i have this "guilty" feeling.

alwaysnforever 07-09-2011 01:56 PM

i give my mum and aunt 400 combined each month. I pay for car parking charges as well. So total close to 500? Take home about 2.8k

Hermit 07-09-2011 04:43 PM

Sometime thousands. Other times nothing.

Nimbus 16-09-2011 01:52 AM

I'm surprised that people can give >20% of take home salary to parents. My current pay is quite low and my HDB is coming in 3 years time. More than half of my salary goes to house and after deducting the necessary expenses and allowance, I'm only left with $260 to save a month. I mean, when people gave so much to parents, how do they save for their future where everything is so expensive?

Unregistered 16-09-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimbus (Post 16308)
I'm surprised that people can give >20% of take home salary to parents. My current pay is quite low and my HDB is coming in 3 years time. More than half of my salary goes to house and after deducting the necessary expenses and allowance, I'm only left with $260 to save a month. I mean, when people gave so much to parents, how do they save for their future where everything is so expensive?

That’s because they only list down what they give but not what they take mah. I have a colleague who give $1k to parents every month, but basically use her mum like some full day babysitter.

Couple stay at parents place Mon – Thur, dinner provided by mum. Bring son to school, buy toys, feed him lunch etc. all done by the mum. And because her dad retiree already, so she and husband happily help themselves to the car on most weekends and some weekdays. You tell me 1k is a lot or not!?

Unregistered 17-09-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimbus (Post 16308)

You better start saving, do some investments or do something to get that coveted promotion and salary increment my friend.

Because once you have a baby, you will be working your ass off. You will be working on weekends (if your company allows to do OT on weekends) just to make ends meet. That's what i"m observing right now.

I assume you just got married or getting married soon. I assume that because you mentioned "my HDB is coming in 3 years time". Most of my friends who just got married or getting married keep saying that their HDB is coming in 3-4 years time. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Nimbus 17-09-2011 10:56 AM

My pay is low because I'm bonded to the current job. But after leaving next year I will have a better pay for sure. Savings wise I've been doing it since young, just that now have to save even more for the house. Working weekends is fine with me. Baby... not so soon yet. At least not for another 5 years. I'm still young. :)

Unregistered 17-09-2011 12:34 PM

I give around 400 per mth on average, but my parents are fairly well off with a business that generates good income. I do not stay with them and on my own supporting my 2 kids and wife who is not working. But i do feel its too little and plan to give them more but they don't want to take. My monthly take home is close to 16k.

Unregistered 17-09-2011 07:14 PM

About 4 dollars each.

$4 for a packet of wanton mee a month for my mom and $4 for a bundle of hell notes for my dad :)

Unregistered 18-09-2011 02:02 AM

i graduated recently and just started work. my take-home is about $3.5k and i have no liabilities so i give my parents a total of $1k each month. part of it goes towards paying them back my uni fees i guess.

phd wannabe 18-09-2011 09:41 AM

I give about 10%, and half goes into their cpf top up relief to alleviate my taxes =)

Unregistered 18-09-2011 11:53 PM

i don't give at all... as she has enough to rely on.

when i give, she worries for me and thought that i'm pretending to be loaded, and that in turn makes her unhappy, regardless what i say.

it's only after when i stopped giving her, she became happier and believe i am starting to save for my retirement.

well, works both ways by not giving the allowances.

i do give meal treats and presents all the time though.

Unregistered 19-09-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16342)
About 4 dollars each.

$4 for a packet of wanton mee a month for my mom and $4 for a bundle of hell notes for my dad :)

Are you feeding dogs or your mom? As I said, your mom is better off giving birth to char siew than to you...at least she can eat the char siew and no need to wait for a few slice of it in the wanton mee every month.....

Son 19-09-2011 01:32 PM

Gave mom $1000 per month
Gave Dad a car 3 years ago ( car was relatively cheap then)
At least he got a car to drive for the next 7 years.

Dad is still working
mom is taking care of the kids.
Both parents no outstanding loan, just worry about utlities and car expenses.

Also, birthday presents, CNY 'bonus' and occasional holidays
Spending on parents, $20K to $30K per year ave.
Returns : priceless

Unregistered 19-09-2011 02:21 PM

Bought two condos for them to collect rent.
Hired two maids to take care of them.
Pay for all holidays, expenses and gifts.
Never ask for anything in return.
Shame on those who did.

lazyplane 20-09-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16011)
Sadly, I am still partially supporting my children who are almost 30 yrs old even though I spent almost $1m on all their overseas education. Am setting up a trust fund to take care of them after I'm gone because they (especially one of them) are quite spendthrift and I'm afraid if they get all my money in a lump sum, they will squander it. When I think back, perhaps I should not have pampered them so much....

this is a true scenario for many singaporeans. being a parent myself,i am worried i may end up in a similiar situation. However, i was glad to hear a fellow more senior grandparent relate this insight to me that once u paid for their education, the rest is really up to them. as for the rest of your wealth, give to the next generation ie setup your trustfund to give to grandchildren instead. eg education cost of grandchildren.

also , if u have really alot do the warren buffet thing or the bill gates which to give their wealth to a cause. by doing so, u can still teach your children and your children childrens the values you hold dear.

Unregistered 21-09-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16360)
Are you feeding dogs or your mom? As I said, your mom is better off giving birth to char siew than to you...at least she can eat the char siew and no need to wait for a few slice of it in the wanton mee every month.....

Be flexible in your thinking, self righteousness don't get you anywhere except on an ego trip. Not all mothers are good.

Unregistered 21-09-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyplane (Post 16408)
this is a true scenario for many singaporeans. being a parent myself,i am worried i may end up in a similiar situation. However, i was glad to hear a fellow more senior grandparent relate this insight to me that once u paid for their education, the rest is really up to them. as for the rest of your wealth, give to the next generation ie setup your trustfund to give to grandchildren instead. eg education cost of grandchildren.

also , if u have really alot do the warren buffet thing or the bill gates which to give their wealth to a cause. by doing so, u can still teach your children and your children childrens the values you hold dear.

If you already have a lot, please snowball it and have more, trust funds and tons of related companies, multiple holding companies are good for diversification of taxation and legal risks. As for values to hold dear, I advocate always think of yourself first, and keep low profile to prevent parasites from leeching.

Politics (positions of power), money and health are all one's needs, love...filiai piety etc are nothing but concepts and emotions easy for manipulation.

Unregistered 22-09-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16439)
If you already have a lot, please snowball it and have more, trust funds and tons of related companies, multiple holding companies are good for diversification of taxation and legal risks. As for values to hold dear, I advocate always think of yourself first, and keep low profile to prevent parasites from leeching.

Politics (positions of power), money and health are all one's needs, love...filiai piety etc are nothing but concepts and emotions easy for manipulation.

Wow, you sure have a sad childhood to have those statements reflected in here. Are you emotionally or sexually abuse by your parents?

I think you need to see a doctor coz you sure got serious mental problem. I hope your kids (assuming you have, but then again think better not coz they will condemn you if u bring them to this world) will "treat" you well...

Unregistered 22-09-2011 01:57 PM

Paying In Laws

My hubby gives around SGD750 a mth to both parents whom are in Malaysia (Which translates to abt RM1800.00). They are still not satisfied and keep asking for more! I'm very fed up with their attitude.

I'm a stayhome mom, 2 school going kids. We still have to pay for our HDB, kids tuitions and enrichments and our own livelihood. Why are they so ungrateful? My FIL likes to gamble, thus treats us like ATM, ask us to send $$ when ever he needs. We had just settled a huge medical bil for him (he almost died) but he continues his gambling habits.

I really don't know what to do. I feel like elling them off but I don't want my hubby to be sanwiched btwn his wife and parents!

They have a younger son whom also contributes to them but not very regular.

What do you think I should do? Or am I over reacting? I'm worried for my kids education.. plus this has given a lot of stress to my hubby. He works 2 jobs to try to make more so that he can give them more! I'm afraid his health will be compromised. Why are they so inconsiderate?

Unregistered 22-09-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16462)
My hubby gives around SGD750 a mth to both parents whom are in Malaysia (Which translates to abt RM1800.00). They are still not satisfied and keep asking for more! I'm very fed up with their attitude.

I'm a stayhome mom, 2 school going kids. We still have to pay for our HDB, kids tuitions and enrichments and our own livelihood. Why are they so ungrateful? My FIL likes to gamble, thus treats us like ATM, ask us to send $$ when ever he needs. We had just settled a huge medical bil for him (he almost died) but he continues his gambling habits.

I really don't know what to do. I feel like elling them off but I don't want my hubby to be sanwiched btwn his wife and parents!

What do you think I should do? Or am I over reacting? I'm worried for my kids education.. plus this has given a lot of stress to my hubby. He works 2 jobs to try to make more so that he can give them more! I'm afraid his health will be compromised. Why are they so inconsiderate?

I think your hubby has to tell them off. Giving them money to gamble is not filial, and to think that he still have 2 kids to support. Unless he is earning lots of money else, put the money to good use on your kids and family. Sad to say, some parents are selfish, and never think for their children, anyone with dignity will never want to depend on someone else unless they have poor health or a good reason.

Unregistered 22-09-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16462)

Follow post 27, 'think of yourself first'.

Worse to worse, divorce your husband if he still feed his leech gambling father. Get alimony from him after divorce and at same time the legal seperation will absolve you from any debts which might be incurred in future.

Can never play too safe with gamblers and stupid offspring who support their leeching parents.

Unregistered 22-09-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16474)
Follow post 27, 'think of yourself first'.

Worse to worse, divorce your husband if he still feed his leech gambling father. Get alimony from him after divorce and at same time the legal seperation will absolve you from any debts which might be incurred in future.

Can never play too safe with gamblers and stupid offspring who support their leeching parents.

Following her last para, clearly her hubby is retarded, why stick with such a loser ?

Money is never enough 23-02-2012 05:26 PM

Give a grand to my parents every month.. dat's approximately 10% of salary.
However recently during CNY, my aunt criticized my dad that I'm unfilial. According to her, I'm earning reasonably well but I have never gave a cent to my grandma. This should be the responsibilities of my grandma's children isn't it? Anyway, none of my cousins are giving her regular allowance. Eventhough she's my elder, she has never been directly involved in bringing me up, except bringing my dad to this world. Am I in the wrong for not giving?

Bean 23-02-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money is never enough (Post 21262)
Give a grand to my parents every month.. dat's approximately 10% of salary.
However recently during CNY, my aunt criticized my dad that I'm unfilial. According to her, I'm earning reasonably well but I have never gave a cent to my grandma. This should be the responsibilities of my grandma's children isn't it? Anyway, none of my cousins are giving her regular allowance. Eventhough she's my elder, she has never been directly involved in bringing me up, except bringing my dad to this world. Am I in the wrong for not giving?

WOW, you earn $10000/mth and you give only $1000 to parent? A little neow lei. At least should give 1.8k-2k ma.

regarding giving $$ to grandma, I think it is your parent responsibility to give $$$ to grandma or the grandma's children, not you (grand children..). I also never give $$ to grandma. When I visit her, occasionally will buy grandma her favorite food like sushi/curry puff/during cakes...etc, that's all.

I earn 3.7k(b4 CPF), give 800-1000/mth to parents....already....

Money is never enough 23-02-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 21267)
WOW, you earn $10000/mth and you give only $1000 to parent? A little neow lei. At least should give 1.8k-2k ma.

regarding giving $$ to grandma, I think it is your parent responsibility to give $$$ to grandma or the grandma's children, not you (grand children..). I also never give $$ to grandma. When I visit her, occasionally will buy grandma her favorite food like sushi/curry puff/during cakes...etc, that's all.

I earn 3.7k(b4 CPF), give 800-1000/mth to parents....already....

I dun deny the amount given to my parents are not significant but bo bian. I'm in the sandwich class. Together with my wife-to-be, our basic is over $16K/m. We can't buy EC, DBSS or any new HDB. I'm considering to get a 2nd hand HDB so that i can have more cash on hand but she's looking at private condo.. If we are really getting a private condo, then HH income of $16K is hardly just enough.

Watson 23-02-2012 08:19 PM

I give 400 which is less than 10% of my salary now . I started with 300 when I was earning 2.5k
Now though I earn more I don't give much more.
I do give extra for my parents holidays.
My mum holidays very frequently, avg twice in 3mths. Typically to Asia, budget trips.
They r not too old, can still wrk but my mum is rather lazy, retired at early 50s
They r constantly expecting me to pay, give them more.
I hv a younger bro, but parents mollycoddle him and don't hv the same high expectations fr him.
This is why I give lesser, my parents do not know how much I earn and I intend to keep it that way. They are always commenting to rely me at their old age. Aka move in with my family. My partner objects, me too. I feel my bro is a bummer for earning so little, unable to look after the family.

Watson 23-02-2012 08:21 PM

To add,
400 to my family
1k to my pil who looks after my children
Combi income 14k

Bean 23-02-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money is never enough (Post 21269)
I dun deny the amount given to my parents are not significant but bo bian. I'm in the sandwich class. Together with my wife-to-be, our basic is over $16K/m. We can't buy EC, DBSS or any new HDB. I'm considering to get a 2nd hand HDB so that i can have more cash on hand but she's looking at private condo.. If we are really getting a private condo, then HH income of $16K is hardly just enough.

the final decision lies with your wife.......I rather get 2nd hand HDB(5rm) + COV = 600k with your kind of joint 16k/mth...is much much cheaper than today at least 1million condo:D

Unregistered 27-02-2012 11:33 AM

My fiance and I earn a combined income of $13k+. It is largely my income. Her parents though much less well-off than mine are both retirees. They are very nice people and easy going.

Our arrangement is that my wife-to-be gives an allowance to her parents every month whilst I am in-charge of contributing to my family.

I give $2000 per month to my parents whilst my fiance gives only $200 (about 10% of her salary). We deliberately hide my income from my them as we fear it may create unhappiness.

Do you guys think this is a fair arrangement? Should I be giving a portion of my salary to upkeep them as well?

My parents don't need my contribution at all to be honest. They have passive income of about $15k per month from rental and stocks and are still both working. My contribution to them is more of a gesture and also to prevent my relatives from gossiping.

In return for my monthly contribution, my parents have given us a house + car. Plus, my father insists on paying for all family holidays. His theory is that all his children are equal and if he pays for one, he will pay for all. I have 3 siblings.

However, when I discussed with my mum about increasing my contribution to my parents-in-law, this struck a raw nerve. My parents got quite upset with that suggestion.

It seems that when we do get married (this year), things are going to get even more messy. Really don't know how to solve this issue

alwaysnforever 27-02-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21411)
My fiance and I earn a combined income of $13k+. It is largely my income. Her parents though much less well-off than mine are both retirees. They are very nice people and easy going.

Our arrangement is that my wife-to-be gives an allowance to her parents every month whilst I am in-charge of contributing to my family.

I give $2000 per month to my parents whilst my fiance gives only $200 (about 10% of her salary). We deliberately hide my income from my them as we fear it may create unhappiness.

Do you guys think this is a fair arrangement? Should I be giving a portion of my salary to upkeep them as well?

My parents don't need my contribution at all to be honest. They have passive income of about $15k per month from rental and stocks and are still both working. My contribution to them is more of a gesture and also to prevent my relatives from gossiping.

In return for my monthly contribution, my parents have given us a house + car. Plus, my father insists on paying for all family holidays. His theory is that all his children are equal and if he pays for one, he will pay for all. I have 3 siblings.

However, when I discussed with my mum about increasing my contribution to my parents-in-law, this struck a raw nerve. My parents got quite upset with that suggestion.

It seems that when we do get married (this year), things are going to get even more messy. Really don't know how to solve this issue

You could always give your in laws allowance and tell your parents otherwise. Save any unnecessary trouble