Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 04-12-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31209)
may as well say all Proton cars can now be rebadged as Lotus ever since they bought them over.

If you have ah kow ah meow students with mediocre grades going into uniSIM obviously the recognition will still be down the drain.

Let's not kid ourselves, everyone knows most private degrees outside the big 3 local unis are basically crap and bought using money. There is no reputation to talk about.

But the important thing is once government recognise UniSim, all civil service & stat board will be force to recognise UniSim as same pay grade as the 3 local unis. At the end of the day as long as the purchased degree can yield good pay from public sector, who cares about their reputation?

yummy carrot 15-12-2012 12:01 AM

Graduated this year with A&F 2:2 Honours. Drawing 2.5 as accounts exec in a Non-profit organisation. Recently have been offered 4k p.m to do investigation work in govt sector but it totally not related to A&F. Have to make decision very soon. What would you do?

Unregistered 16-12-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yummy carrot (Post 31595)
Graduated this year with A&F 2:2 Honours. Drawing 2.5 as accounts exec in a Non-profit organisation. Recently have been offered 4k p.m to do investigation work in govt sector but it totally not related to A&F. Have to make decision very soon. What would you do?

If this job going to achieve and develop skills for your Long term goal..then take it,

Unregistered 16-12-2012 09:07 PM

you want money or you want a job you love?

yummy carrot 16-12-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31636)
you want money or you want a job you love?

I want both! But till now I still don't have the slightest clue on what is a job that I love. Have not come across one before. :(

Unregistered 18-12-2012 11:35 PM

Just would like to share. Graduated with Banking and Finance, SIM-UOL in Sep09.

First job: DBS
2010 - 2950
2011 - 3950
2012 - 4800

All SIM folks, just believe that you are definitely comparable with local uni graduates. When you are talking about work, it is not a matter of which school you are at. It is more about your working attitude and EQ. So what you need to do are as follows:
1. Always improve your resume, e.g. Review it regularly, ask your friend's opinion, etc
2. Prepare yourself before interview,
3. Be confident and be honest during your interview. Please do not act smart.
4. Be friendly and make your interviewer comfortable talking to you.

That is all I have. Good luck!!!

Unregistered 19-12-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31702)
Just would like to share. Graduated with Banking and Finance, SIM-UOL in Sep09.

First job: DBS
2010 - 2950
2011 - 3950
2012 - 4800

All SIM folks, just believe that you are definitely comparable with local uni graduates. When you are talking about work, it is not a matter of which school you are at. It is more about your working attitude and EQ. So what you need to do are as follows:
1. Always improve your resume, e.g. Review it regularly, ask your friend's opinion, etc
2. Prepare yourself before interview,
3. Be confident and be honest during your interview. Please do not act smart.
4. Be friendly and make your interviewer comfortable talking to you.

That is all I have. Good luck!!!

that is 1k per year increment for a fresh grad.. oh my..

Unregistered 21-12-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yummy carrot (Post 31595)

Hi yummy carrot,

That govt sector you referring to is it cpib?

Unregistered 07-01-2013 11:18 AM

For myself I graduated in 2005 1st class hons from UOL-SIM. Back then it was like 3 1st class hons per cohort only. In my first company the pay was according to hons and I was very blessed that the HR did not discriminate against UOL. I was even getting more than some of my fellow batch mates from NTU with lower hons than me.

First job (1st year): $2,800 (monthly) $42,000 (per annum)
4th year: $72,000
Second job (in middle east): $250,000
Third job (back in Singapore): $70,000
Current job: ~$95,000

From my experience it is very difficult for UOL degree holders to gain employment in a stat board or government linked body. I have gone through a few interviews and always fail at the first hurdle. I remember very clearly the look of disdain when the HR people looked at my cert during a few interviews. Oh well, their lost.

However my sis graduated with a degree from Monash (local) about 3 years ago and did manage to join a "semi stat board". They conned her into accepting a diploma holder's job with promise for quick progression if she proved capable, despite my counsel. 3 years down the road and she's still stuck in her diploma holder's job.

Unregistered 07-01-2013 04:14 PM

Graduated in 2006, since then I have jumped in between a few industries, but all the jobs are more or less related to marketing.

Job#1: $3,200 (first drawn) $4,900 (last drawn)
Job#2: $5,800 (first drawn) $6,700 (last drawn)
Job #3: $8,000 (only stayed for 4 months)
Job #4: $8,850 (first drawn) $10,740 (current)