Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 30-10-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74401)
For e.g. I work in Caterpillar. The top management team in my company can be found here: ://.caterpillar.com/en/company/governance/officers.html None of them are lowly educated, in fact some of them are holding prominent positions in academia affiliated networks and organizations. All I need is for you to come up with proper evidence to back up your claims, not polemics or rhetorical questions.

Here's one although this was some years back. IIRC he is trained as a butcher before rising up the ranks. Of course these are exceptions to the rule and not every blue collard worker can rise up the ranks, but since you asked for evidence here's one.

I think the CEO of SATS pre-2004 era also rose up the ranks at SIA from rank and file.

s://.sats.com.sg/InvestorRelations/FinancialReporting/AnnualReports1/0910_AnnualReport.pdf

Page 29:

5. Robert Burnett, 46
Mr Burnett is Chief Executive Officer, UK. He oversees and is responsible for the performance of Daniels Chilled Foods Limited, International Cuisine Limited and Farmhouse Fare Limited. He has been the Chief Executive Officer of Daniels Chilled
Foods since July 2002. Prior to that, he had held various senior general management appointments with Albert Fisher Plc. Mr Burnett sits on the Boards of SATS’ subsidiaries in the UK. He holds a Higher National Diploma in Business Studies from the Aberdeen College of Commerce (UK).

Unregistered 30-10-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74397)
Sigh. Ignorant people. Whateva happen to Bill Gates, Mark Zukerberg, Mark Cuban, and Michael Dell?

No wonder we are all losing out to foreigners in our fight for jobs. No zeal, no passion, no risk for appetite, and go-by-the-book. SOP for everything, unable to think beyond the norm, unable to manage change. Rigid mindset.

I reiterate, these were all in the past whereby it was easier to succeed and climb up. Let me stress again that such a phenomenon would be rare today. But not impossible.

I love it when people use these examples.

Nothing like picking out a few people who are successful in life without a proper education, then imagining you can be like them. That's 4 people out of 7 billion people.

Even Bill Gates said he wouldn't hire someone without a degree. Read it for yourself: ://.gatesnotes.com/Education/11-Million-College-Grads

Quote:

Although I dropped out of college and got lucky pursuing a career in software, getting a degree is a much surer path to success.

Unregistered 30-10-2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74397)
Sigh. Ignorant people. Whateva happen to Bill Gates, Mark Zukerberg, Mark Cuban, and Michael Dell?

No wonder we are all losing out to foreigners in our fight for jobs. No zeal, no passion, no risk for appetite, and go-by-the-book. SOP for everything, unable to think beyond the norm, unable to manage change. Rigid mindset.

I reiterate, these were all in the past whereby it was easier to succeed and climb up. Let me stress again that such a phenomenon would be rare today. But not impossible.

come on.

these guys QUALIFIED for uni.

gates/zukerberg/dell were all undergrads are prestigious schools - gates and zukererg being harvard. they dropped out becuase they were on to something. cuban graduated.

pls dont compare sims with these guys. people from sims didnt qualify for a university, which is why they ended up doing a course in sim - a course provider. not a university.

dont be so ignorant. but then again, thats the reason why you ended up in sim perhaps

Unregistered 30-10-2015 01:15 PM

A number of them like to use examples of founders of Microsoft, facebook etc as proof that without a degree one can succeed exceedingly much in life. I say all these are not good examples as these very top achievers are ivy league caliber students who dropped out of college by choice.

How many of our top students per cohort can enter undergrad program at Havard, MIT, Wharton, Yale, Columbia?

Unregistered 30-10-2015 01:27 PM

friends, whatever la. so what if SIM or local unis? later ivy leagues come we can only put finger to our lips. why keep comparing? local uni doesnt guarantee you success, but many do. going private uni doesnt mean you cant compete with the ivy leagues, but not many do. but then, who cares what statistics show? if you succeed at your own definition, then that's good enough. why keep comparing? putting people down will make you climb the ladder faster meh? citing those successful college dropouts will make you one of them meh? why are you guys so concerned about how successful/lousy others are? what are the hidden benefits? can share?

Unregistered 30-10-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74402)
Here's one although this was some years back. IIRC he is trained as a butcher before rising up the ranks. Of course these are exceptions to the rule and not every blue collard worker can rise up the ranks, but since you asked for evidence here's one.

I think the CEO of SATS pre-2004 era also rose up the ranks at SIA from rank and file.

s://.sats.com.sg/InvestorRelations/FinancialReporting/AnnualReports1/0910_AnnualReport.pdf

Page 29:

5. Robert Burnett, 46
Mr Burnett is Chief Executive Officer, UK. He oversees and is responsible for the performance of Daniels Chilled Foods Limited, International Cuisine Limited and Farmhouse Fare Limited. He has been the Chief Executive Officer of Daniels Chilled
Foods since July 2002. Prior to that, he had held various senior general management appointments with Albert Fisher Plc. Mr Burnett sits on the Boards of SATS’ subsidiaries in the UK. He holds a Higher National Diploma in Business Studies from the Aberdeen College of Commerce (UK).

Hello... call you to cite example of MNC with top management position filled by a non-degree you cite a "CEO" of a subsidiary of SATS which was only up to recently in turn a subsidiary of SIA. Does this Daniels Chilled Food sound like a MNC to you?

Please don't try the same old word play tricks saying as long as companies got office in > 1 country = MNC. You & I & everyone else on this forum jolly well know when we talk about MNCs, we are not talking about some small UK subsidiary of SATs. Also who would consider the likes of SATs a MNC in the true sense of the word in the 1st place?

This is just playing lingual gymnastics arguing for the sake of arguing.

Unregistered 30-10-2015 02:39 PM

sats is consider a medium size glc with very stat board culture...

personally i never hear of any sg local that can climb up to top mgt of a big mnc irregardless of degree or not. the indians from india are much better at playing mnc politics. even the well known janet ang from nus is only a local gm of ibm and definitely not consider top mgt level.

Unregistered 30-10-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74410)
Hello... call you to cite example of MNC with top management position filled by a non-degree you cite a "CEO" of a subsidiary of SATS which was only up to recently in turn a subsidiary of SIA. Does this Daniels Chilled Food sound like a MNC to you?

Please don't try the same old word play tricks saying as long as companies got office in > 1 country = MNC. You & I & everyone else on this forum jolly well know when we talk about MNCs, we are not talking about some small UK subsidiary of SATs. Also who would consider the likes of SATs a MNC in the true sense of the word in the 1st place?

This is just playing lingual gymnastics arguing for the sake of arguing.

This is a C-level position and far higher than any position you would ever achieve in your sorry life. Sats is a $1.7b company and of course there are bigger MNCs out there. I'd like to see your arrogant ass try to even get near to a Deputy GM/MD/CEO in one of their subsidiaries you snob.

Anyway you asked for an example so here it is.

Unregistered 30-10-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74412)
sats is consider a medium size glc with very stat board culture...

personally i never hear of any sg local that can climb up to top mgt of a big mnc irregardless of degree or not. the indians from india are much better at playing mnc politics. even the well known janet ang from nus is only a local gm of ibm and definitely not consider top mgt level.

I know of 2 local GLC Group CEOs who were C-level executives in global MNCs before taking up their posts.

Unfortunately most of our scholars and talents go into the civil service hence the public sector (big GLCs) have to draw from the foreign talent pool. It is sad that even DBS can't find a true blue sinkie to lead the company.

Unregistered 30-10-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74410)

Sats later sold Daniels Group for $230m. While definitely not in the league of Shell or Apple or Google it is no small change and still relevant to our discussion.

://.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9QJFSTO2.htm