Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 21-09-2015 06:27 PM

lol why are you guys arguing over these little things..

when i first came out to work..

- i never sold myself as a direct product from LSE, but instead a distant learning UOL grad under SIM
- i got a FCH with 'gold' award, but this much is nothing compared to the FCH from local Us. I acknowledged that fact and not keep harping on it during interviews since its already stated there in my CV.
- realistic in my market worth.. no internships, no stellar results to compete with local grads on equal footing, no other connections. I started off with a contract job in a bank drawing 2.5 base
- a lot of opportunities were given to my former boss at the first bank i worked at. when i moved to another bank at the end of my contract, my former boss helped me to put in some good word since he know the hiring mgr as well.
- A lot of opportunities were given to me by my former line mgr then. I've since moved on to another bank (third) earlier this year...

Not gonna state any numbers here since some of you would probably say im bluffing.. But i'd say the figures are above the market rate for someone who only has barely 3yrs of experience even for local grads, and i am happy with the progress since i am just a 'filthy' SIM grad.

For students who are going to grad soon, be realistic in your demands. And no matter how you argue, SIM-UOL or whatever other distant learning progs from xyz uni, will be frowned upon at your initial job search when you dont have any bargaining chips on your hand.

To those who are bashing, there's some hard truths in what you've said. But for those who are just out to keyboard-bash SIM grads, c'mon la... Really nothing to do? Cut them some slack lah, don't need to go all out and put them down..

Unregistered 21-09-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72894)
i think the key differece between a SIM student and one from a proper university is that one is paid for with money (no effort required), and the other is earned.

congrats. with this sweeping statement of yours, you've just offended the entire cohort of students taking part-time night courses after work at the local UniSIM.

maybe u are superman and dont feel tired / require any effort to rush down to uni campus after your work ends (Y)

Unregistered 22-09-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72901)
congrats. with this sweeping statement of yours, you've just offended the entire cohort of students taking part-time night courses after work at the local UniSIM.

maybe u are superman and dont feel tired / require any effort to rush down to uni campus after your work ends (Y)

well, ultimately they know deep down inside somewhere, that this is just a business transaction.

you pay and you get a dodgy cert.

no effort required. despite what you think, exams and assignements in SIM are of the same standards that nus/smu/ntu.

Unregistered 22-09-2015 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72901)

You can always enrol into NUS or NTU part time degree.

Unregistered 29-09-2015 05:23 PM

Hello all! Graduate with a 2:2 honors degree from uol. Was offered a $2600 per month salary (Finance industry, fresh grad), it is reasonable or too low? Need some advice on expected pay. Thank you!

Unregistered 29-09-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73181)
Hello all! Graduate with a 2:2 honors degree from uol. Was offered a $2600 per month salary (Finance industry, fresh grad), it is reasonable or too low? Need some advice on expected pay. Thank you!

Slightly on the high side for a pte 2:2 cert, most offers are 2.3-2.5k for uol. Any aws? Bonus how much roughly?

Unregistered 29-09-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73183)
Slightly on the high side for a pte 2:2 cert, most offers are 2.3-2.5k for uol. Any aws? Bonus how much roughly?

There is aws, bonus varies.

Unregistered 29-09-2015 09:34 PM

2.1 Business from UOL can put expected how much?

Unregistered 30-09-2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73192)

Nobody in pte sector care about 1/2.1/2.2 UOL honors. Starting should be 2.3-2.5k in most cases; banks might be slightly higher, but since they don't give 13 month end up total package the same.

Unregistered 30-09-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73192)

you mean theres a classification of papers issued by sim?

no difference from a diploma grad.