Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Constituency Manager (People Association) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1466-constituency-manager-people-association.html)

Unregistered 07-05-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey D. Clown (Post 66453)
Which explains the reason for the high turnover rate.

Not so much for mid career transitionists but more for fresh grads as they start to compare their working hours with peers who are having a 9-5 office hour job with permanent weekends off.

But if building and bridging communities to bond residents together with events and activities is your cup of tea, then joining PA will be a job match for you.

That's what I thought when I first joined. I still enjoy the community sort of work and cammaderie.

The main reason for me leaving is really first of all really no life outside work. You are always doing something with someone yet very lonely as no time for anything personal.

Pay and benefits cannot even match a normal civil service, not even counting all the extra hours. But the main driver is really the lack of progressiveness in the culture and way of doing things, it's like a time capsule from the 1980s, totally out of tune with how modern organiations are run.

I just didn't feel comfortable stagnating like that for the rest of my life, so my advice to new joiners is to think through carefully before joining.

Homey D. Clown 07-05-2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66461)
Pay and benefits cannot even match a normal civil service, not even counting all the extra hours. But the main driver is really the lack of progressiveness in the culture and way of doing things, it's like a time capsule from the 1980s, totally out of tune with how modern organiations are run.

I just didn't feel comfortable stagnating like that for the rest of my life, so my advice to new joiners is to think through carefully before joining.

To be fair, there are 87 COs and 106 CCs in total. Differences in day to day ops are bound to be prevalent among all the different units with every CO / CC having its own set of culture. The grassroots adviser and volunteers play a big part in determining this culture.

There are indeed people who felt the same as you and left subsequently, but there are also others who are recognised for their performance and getting promoted to DCD and beyond.

As the saying always goes, it largely depends on the CO you are posted to.

Unregistered 08-05-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey D. Clown (Post 66477)
To be fair, there are 87 COs and 106 CCs in total. Differences in day to day ops are bound to be prevalent among all the different units with every CO / CC having its own set of culture. The grassroots adviser and volunteers play a big part in determining this culture.

There are indeed people who felt the same as you and left subsequently, but there are also others who are recognised for their performance and getting promoted to DCD and beyond.

As the saying always goes, it largely depends on the CO you are posted to.

DCD is just another fancy name for senior exec or AM in the pte sector, it's expected in the market that most ppl should get it as long as no screw up. the fact that it is so rare in PA that this kind of "promotion" also worth mentioning just go to show how weak the career planning is or maybe its a case of too high turnover ppl leaving before they 3 years mark is up.

Unregistered 08-05-2015 09:52 AM

If the pay commensurate with the title and responsibility then no grounds for complain. So how much is a DCD expect to be paid? Got $10K pm or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66505)
DCD is just another fancy name for senior exec or AM in the pte sector, it's expected in the market that most ppl should get it as long as no screw up. the fact that it is so rare in PA that this kind of "promotion" also worth mentioning just go to show how weak the career planning is or maybe its a case of too high turnover ppl leaving before they 3 years mark is up.

Unregistered 08-05-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66507)
If the pay commensurate with the title and responsibility then no grounds for complain. So how much is a DCD expect to be paid? Got $10K pm or not?

haha DCD 10k in ur dream loh. even a CD is only 7-8k, so DCD prob 5-6k

Homey D. Clown 09-05-2015 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66505)

Yes, nobody is denying the fact of the high turnover rate in PA as I've mentioned previously. Just that it's a personal choice.

People will stay on if they are contented with their job scope / life style / salary in PA while those who thought other wise are always welcome to leave.

I mean, nobody can force anyone not to resign, no?

Unregistered 10-05-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey D. Clown (Post 66540)
People will stay on if they are contented with their job scope / life style / salary in PA while those who thought other wise are always welcome to leave.

I mean, nobody can force anyone not to resign, no?

Your statemen is so generic it means nothing at all. It applies to each and every job in the world except maybe slavery.

My post is intented for ppl who are thinking of joining, need to tell them what the situation is really like. This is not the first time I heard PA ppl painting good picture to lure unsuspecting job seekers by citing diliberately mega inflated job titles and dangling reimbursement / allowance as a "perk"

Seriously, a 5k guy can be called Deputy Director? Say already ppl outside also dun believe. I fell into the same trap last time as well, thought wah not bad see some young ppl before 40 already "director", must be very progressive organization.

Unregistered 12-05-2015 09:32 PM

It's been 3 weeks and no calls...maybe gone case liao

Homey D. Clown 12-05-2015 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66585)
This is not the first time I heard PA ppl painting good picture to lure unsuspecting job seekers by citing diliberately mega inflated job titles and dangling reimbursement / allowance as a "perk"

Seriously, a 5k guy can be called Deputy Director? Say already ppl outside also dun believe.

Well, all titles in Civil / Public service are inflated anyway, not just only for PA.

Homey D. Clown 12-05-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66669)
It's been 3 weeks and no calls...maybe gone case liao

Did you follow up with the HR officer who contacted you to arrange for the interview?

How was the interview and the vibes by the way?