Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   What are some good non-fang tech companies? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14526-what-some-good-non-fang-tech-companies.html)

csgrad 07-04-2022 09:34 AM

What are some good non-fang tech companies?

I'm a cs grad from SIT, graduated last year, got a job at a us tech company but pay is awful [ below 5k monthly ] so was thinking of looking around.

what are some good non-fang, not bytedance/shopee tech companies?

seems to me like there's not much in Singapore... or maybe im looking in the wrong places because so far the ones i tried, all offered lower than 5k...

any suggestions?

Unregistered 07-04-2022 09:45 AM

You couldn’t even qualify for GovTech?

Pathetic.

csgrad 07-04-2022 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212725)

Pathetic.

govtech isnt a reputable name outside of SG

looking for companies that are actually known on a global scale

Unregistered 07-04-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212725)

Pathetic.

You couldn’t even qualify for tech role?

Pathetic

Unregistered 07-04-2022 11:26 AM

saw in the other thread, micron

Unregistered 07-04-2022 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212746)
saw in the other thread, micron

Micron isnt a tech company. to find out which company qualifies as tech, you need to see if they view IT as a support function/cost center as opposed to revenue generating/profit center. Its clear micron's business model makes it a non-tech firm.

Only pointing this out bc OP said specifically for tech companies.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 11:36 AM

If OP is indeed asking a serious question and not just trolling, i would say Govtech has somewhat better branding than most, NCS mehhhh not bad i suppose, and lastly stay away from ST esp if you are a fresh grad. No idea about HTX.

And ofc, stay away esp from the anti-thesis of FAANG, WITCH companies.

csgrad 07-04-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212748)
Micron isnt a tech company. to find out which company qualifies as tech, you need to see if they view IT as a support function/cost center as opposed to revenue generating/profit center. Its clear micron's business model makes it a non-tech firm.

Only pointing this out bc OP said specifically for tech companies.

i see, thank you and yea looking for mainly tech.

im also ok with fintech.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212749)
If OP is indeed asking a serious question and not just trolling, i would say Govtech has somewhat better branding than most, NCS mehhhh not bad i suppose, and lastly stay away from ST esp if you are a fresh grad. No idea about HTX.

not interested in govtech or government related tech companies. not sure what's HTX, i'll check it out, thanks man.

looking for specifically US tech, large sg banks, unicorns, etc.

what about foodpanda? carousell? any opinion on these companies?

i heard they pay well, wlb may not be so good but i see some good learning opportunities.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 11:57 AM

just go to a reputable recruiter and tel them your requirements

Unregistered 07-04-2022 12:23 PM

how about grab? grabfood...?

Unregistered 07-04-2022 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csgrad (Post 212755)
i see, thank you and yea looking for mainly tech.

im also ok with fintech.

not interested in govtech or government related tech companies. not sure what's HTX, i'll check it out, thanks man.

looking for specifically US tech, large sg banks, unicorns, etc.

what about foodpanda? carousell? any opinion on these companies?

i heard they pay well, wlb may not be so good but i see some good learning opportunities.

then you wouldnt be impressed with HTX as it is a stat board i believe.

anyway, US tech firms are a solid choice but they are highly selective (and US tech firms are faang mostly)

if by "large sg banks" you mean DBS, OCBC and UOB then i can tell u to stay away from them unless u got about 5-8 years YOE and looking to aim for AVP role and above.

you can try JPM, MS, Goldman sachs etc. But again, keep in mind that these are not tech firms as they dont see tech as revenue generating (Quants excluded) although in most cases they do pay well.

Foodpanda, carousell, gojek, grab are pretty good from what i hear, but again, can you be sure these names are renowned in the US? since that appears to be one of ur concerns.

csgrad 07-04-2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212767)

anyway, US tech firms are a solid choice but they are highly selective (and US tech firms are faang mostly)

if by "large sg banks" you mean DBS, OCBC and UOB then i can tell u to stay away from them unless u got about 5-8 years YOE and looking to aim for AVP role and above.

you can try JPM, MS, Goldman sachs etc. But again, keep in mind that these are not tech firms as they dont see tech as revenue generating (Quants excluded) although in most cases they do pay well.

Foodpanda, carousell, gojek, grab are pretty good from what i hear, but again, can you be sure these names are renowned in the US? since that appears to be one of ur concerns.

ah yes strongly agree with the "highly selective" part, heard the same as well...

also my apologies for the change of mind, im ok with non-us tech as long as its a good place to learn and grow.

i guess im at a bit of a crossroad, my first job was pretty good at the start but after some reorg, things got pretty crappy.. not doing much, not learning much. im pretty sure 2 years later i'll still be below 5k base monthly pay so i rather job hop sometime this year than never and start fresh somewhere else.

anyway thank u so much for this, helps a lot. i'll check out those companies u listed.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csgrad (Post 212720)
I'm a cs grad from SIT, graduated last year, got a job at a us tech company but pay is awful [ below 5k monthly ] so was thinking of looking around.

what are some good non-fang, not bytedance/shopee tech companies?

seems to me like there's not much in Singapore... or maybe im looking in the wrong places because so far the ones i tried, all offered lower than 5k...

any suggestions?

grab lor, listed on nasdaq some more

Unregistered 07-04-2022 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212749)

witch companies provide a core service many fortune 500 companies, and faang too

Unregistered 07-04-2022 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212865)
witch companies provide a core service many fortune 500 companies, and faang too

WITCH companies are trash

Unregistered 07-04-2022 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212865)

How much does faang pay for fresh grads tho

Unregistered 07-04-2022 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212864)
grab lor, listed on nasdaq some more

soon to tank to minimum stock price

Unregistered 07-04-2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212870)
WITCH companies are trash

that's because in that sector of tech, margins are low but work is demanding

but it's no worse than big 4 audit

Unregistered 07-04-2022 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212899)
that's because in that sector of tech, margins are low but work is demanding

but it's no worse than big 4 audit

yup high tech and low tech work ate miles apart

Unregistered 07-04-2022 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212888)
soon to tank to minimum stock price

it has recovered from their all time low in march leh

Unregistered 07-04-2022 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212876)
How much does faang pay for fresh grads tho

100k usd package in us

Unregistered 08-04-2022 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212919)
100k usd package in us

Even for non tech roles?

Unregistered 08-04-2022 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212919)
100k usd package in us

100k in california means sleeping in car.

Unregistered 08-04-2022 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212978)
100k in california means sleeping in car.

nowadays work from home, who cares where u live in california

Unregistered 08-04-2022 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 213082)
nowadays work from home, who cares where u live in california

Google where got full WFH? you don't read news one?

s://.cnbc.com/2022/03/02/google-tells-employees-to-return-to-offices-in-april.html

Unregistered 08-04-2022 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 213087)
Google where got full WFH? you don't read news one?

s://.cnbc.com/2022/03/02/google-tells-employees-to-return-to-offices-in-april.html

did u just use google to represent whole cali?

Unregistered 08-04-2022 10:26 PM

Quote:

wtf 5 to 8 yoe for DBS???

Unregistered 09-04-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 213098)

im saying for experienced hires, to DBS you are seen as a better hire compared to a fresh grad with 0-1 YOE. Obv both of these are different roles, one is AVP level and above the other is assoc.

Unregistered 09-04-2022 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 213098)

That's the ballpark experience for AVP/VP roles

Unregistered 09-04-2022 07:03 PM

TS go dbs seed and climb from there , faster

csgrad 13-04-2022 09:16 PM

Quote:

Hey man not sure if you are still here but i wanted to say thank you again, I've gotten quite a few interviews (paypal, visa, a few crypto companies as well, etc )

sadly for the rest, i've heard nothing back after online test or phone calls... tried JPM, heard nothing, same for MS and GS :( tough competitive I guess... anyway I'm quite confident about the few interviews that i got but nonetheless, i'm still looking around for more.

Seems to me like the market is really hot right now for tech. Such a shame for the banks tho... i really wanted a chance. I heard of ntu / nus people getting 5.8k base for JP Morgan... god I hope I can get 5k+ as well.

Unregistered 13-04-2022 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csgrad (Post 213827)
Hey man not sure if you are still here but i wanted to say thank you again, I've gotten quite a few interviews (paypal, visa, a few crypto companies as well, etc )

sadly for the rest, i've heard nothing back after online test or phone calls... tried JPM, heard nothing, same for MS and GS :( tough competitive I guess... anyway I'm quite confident about the few interviews that i got but nonetheless, i'm still looking around for more.

Seems to me like the market is really hot right now for tech. Such a shame for the banks tho... i really wanted a chance. I heard of ntu / nus people getting 5.8k base for JP Morgan... god I hope I can get 5k+ as well.

Why would you wanna work in a bank for tech role…its better to work in a fintech or tech company

shootingmen 14-04-2022 03:25 AM

Quote:

There are other investment banks that pay much better for SWE. I was offered 7-8k range for another investment bank as a fresh graduate.

csgrad 15-04-2022 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shootingmen (Post 213864)
There are other investment banks that pay much better for SWE. I was offered 7-8k range for another investment bank as a fresh graduate.

7-8k?? damn!!

did you take it in the end? or you got another offer for much higher?

Unregistered 15-04-2022 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csgrad (Post 214012)
7-8k?? damn!!

did you take it in the end? or you got another offer for much higher?

fired for being inable to deliver

Unregistered 15-04-2022 01:56 PM

Quote:

hey man, no worries! glad to hear you are getting the interviews you want and moving forward! ive also just received an invite to a crypto company for their assessment center. maybe its the same one?

ahhh rack up a few more YoE and give them a compelling story and make them an offer they cant refuse.

yes boom for tech and the wider market in general is smth ive never seen before till now. honestly dont feel too bad, i think banking tech and tech tech is quite diff (altho with good overlap) and im personally not too interested in BO in banks. if you are worried about comp, stick to big tech better tbh.

dont settle for less than 5. that is alr market average or below, and if they dont want you, someone else will for sure. i alr received 3 offers within 6 months and im not even that gud lol. not tryna flex but you can do it mate.

Unregistered 16-04-2022 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214019)
hey man, no worries! glad to hear you are getting the interviews you want and moving forward! ive also just received an invite to a crypto company for their assessment center. maybe its the same one?

ahhh rack up a few more YoE and give them a compelling story and make them an offer they cant refuse.

yes boom for tech and the wider market in general is smth ive never seen before till now. honestly dont feel too bad, i think banking tech and tech tech is quite diff (altho with good overlap) and im personally not too interested in BO in banks. if you are worried about comp, stick to big tech better tbh.

dont settle for less than 5. that is alr market average or below, and if they dont want you, someone else will for sure. i alr received 3 offers within 6 months and im not even that gud lol. not tryna flex but you can do it mate.

mind to share what is the 3 company offer you got and how much they offer?

Unregistered 17-04-2022 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214232)
mind to share what is the 3 company offer you got and how much they offer?

abit sensitive to disclose but i will say 1 is a GLC 1 is Public sector and the other is private company. each one progressively more annual comp than the other.

shootingmen 17-04-2022 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214019)

Any thoughts on bank tech(example Credit Suisse) vs tech tech (Example Grab)? For fresh grad.

Unregistered 17-04-2022 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shootingmen (Post 214240)
Any thoughts on bank tech(example Credit Suisse) vs tech tech (Example Grab)? For fresh grad.

its better to join tech tech because u are treated as profit generating and more well respected. In banks, u are just a cost center