Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   What are some good non-fang tech companies? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14526-what-some-good-non-fang-tech-companies.html)

Unregistered 17-04-2022 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shootingmen (Post 214338)
You realise that Spring and GraphQL/React are used for completely different purposes right? Spring is for the backend, React is for the frontend.

Most banks are using React just like tech firms. Also, a lot of tech companies are using Spring, even top paying crypto firms are hiring Java dev right out of college for 150k TC.

Also, if you're in an IB bank instead of local banks like DBS etc, wouldn't you be in the trading department rather than the back office department? The hypothetical case that I'm describing is what is happening to me, so it is not unlikely.

if the pay is better and prospects are better than good ah bro. why ask around on an anon forum? isnt it a no brainer alr? go with your IB.

btw, JPM MS and other BBs hire SWE for their back office, trading dept takes quants and its completely diff.

shootingmen 17-04-2022 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214341)
if the pay is better and prospects are better than good ah bro. why ask around on an anon forum? isnt it a no brainer alr? go with your IB.

btw, JPM MS and other BBs hire SWE for their back office, trading dept takes quants and its completely diff.

Problem with the IB is the location. It's on the other side of Singapore. WLB also is important for me, which is why I think BB is better.

Unregistered 17-04-2022 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shootingmen (Post 214344)
Problem with the IB is the location. It's on the other side of Singapore. WLB also is important for me, which is why I think BB is better.

i think caring about WLB more impt than the physical location esp with the WFH

Unregistered 18-04-2022 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214353)
i think caring about WLB more impt than the physical location esp with the WFH

Totally agree!

zero_88 18-04-2022 07:36 PM

How abt NCS? heard pay not bad

Unregistered 18-04-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero_88 (Post 214443)
How abt NCS? heard pay not bad

NCS pays 4k+

s://.nodeflair.com/companies/ncs-group/salaries/software_engineer-junior

TS looking for >5k

Unregistered 19-04-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214453)
NCS pays 4k+

s://.nodeflair.com/companies/ncs-group/salaries/software_engineer-junior

TS looking for >5k

NCS first class 5k+

Unregistered 24-04-2022 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214579)
NCS first class 5k+

micron is not tech, but if u work there as their swe u can also get 5+ without fch

Unregistered 24-04-2022 02:07 PM

NCS is a dogshit garbage company, anyone who applied and got an offer knows that you need to tell them your previous pay and send them payslips before they even offer you a number...

so disgusting, no technical interview either, only behavioral. 100% sure their devs are all trash tier.

Unregistered 05-05-2022 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214331)
i mean in that case you have to think about what is impt to you. but the fact of the matter is banks still see tech as a COST center (quants and related roles are excluded).

as compared to tech tech companies where they see swe as revenue generating, it is unlikely that a bank will pay their cost centers more than a tech company will pay their money makers. so i would say ur hypothetical scenario is quite unlikely to happen in the first place.

but if this really happens, then like i said above you have to think about what is impt to you. for me im more interested in the exit opportunities and experience and technical skills to gain. for eg, if the bank only uses some java springboot stack that some ppl alr consider legacy, compared to a more modern stack like graphql and react, then my choice is clear.

The good thing is that this is changing. Banks are now hiring tech employees at record levels, and they're fighting hard against their competition, which gives an upward pressure on salaries. I was in banking tech not too long ago, and I saw no less than 4 new hires from FAANG (albeit at VP level and above). The competition between banks, and with Fintechs means that management is waking up their idea on treating tech as a cost centre.

It also makes a big difference which team you're in. If you're working on new modernisation projects, the skills you get are a lot more sellable. If you're mostly supporting BAU on legacy services, then it can be quite a dead end if you do it for long.