Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Wanna upgrade myself, love to get some inputs. (mid career switch) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14381-wanna-upgrade-myself-love-get-some-inputs-mid-career-switch.html)

psikyo 27-01-2022 04:57 PM

Wanna upgrade myself, love to get some inputs. (mid career switch)

Am a dip holder in material science, having close to 7years of working experienced in doing related field but in a semi-con field. I'm married, just had a kid. Currently,I'm looking to upgrade myself because I felt stagnant in my field, can't move up further.

Of coz going for pt degree is a way to go but I'm looking for other alternatives. I've considered taking up professional course like CAPM. So will like to have some inputs or direction that I can look up. Thanks!

Also, I have considered doing a mid career switch to doing data analyst related field. Which I chanced upon a gov website. They have a program called TIPP, which got me interested. Anyone have such experience on this? Will like to hear from you as well.

Unregistered 27-01-2022 09:22 PM

Am a dip holder in material science, having close to 7years of working experienced in doing related field but in a semi-con field. I'm married, just had a kid. Currently,I'm looking to upgrade myself because I felt stagnant in my field, can't move up further.

Of coz going for pt degree is a way to go but I'm looking for other alternatives. I've considered taking up professional course like CAPM. So will like to have some inputs or direction that I can look up. Thanks!

Also, I have considered doing a mid career switch to doing data analyst related field. Which I chanced upon a gov website. They have a program called TIPP, which got me interested. Anyone have such experience on this? Will like to hear from you as well.

Unregistered 27-01-2022 09:43 PM

what is your current pay?

psikyo 27-01-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 199933)

This is me posting. Don't know why it keeps happening.

psikyo 27-01-2022 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 199942)
what is your current pay?

Currently about high 3

Unregistered 28-01-2022 01:21 AM

psikyo 05-02-2022 08:03 AM

Bump bump bump

gurlInTech 05-02-2022 10:37 AM

You can e-mail the organisers about your career plan and ask them for statistics for the graduates of the programme if they can get the jobs you would like. My friend also wanted to switch to data analyst role but he give up after 2 years saying SQL and python is too hard for him. Do you enjoy studying? It will be like back in school again.

Unregistered 06-02-2022 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psikyo (Post 199884)

Did you change company and try different roles? How many times did you do that in the last 7 years?

Cleinad 06-02-2022 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 199993)

Sorry ah. Ur post got me curious coz u said u want to do a mid career switch from material science in semi-con to...investment or data analytics.

I had done CFA level I before as I had contemplated starting my career in the investment field in my 20s but didn't pursue it further as I realised I wasn't primarily driven by money. Are u driven by money?

As for data analytics, I took 3 courses in NUS on marketing analytics and I came to the conclusion that if u really want to go deep into data analytics, u will need a base statistics or data analytics degree coz data analytics is really about statistics, despite its sexy "analytics" name. Do u love numbers, charts, tables and rows and rows of data?