Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil service to banking (revisited) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1374-civil-service-banking-revisited.html)

alwaysnforever 20-06-2011 01:46 PM

Civil service to banking (revisited)

Yes, I'm sure this topic has come up a few times at least on this forum, but I want to get a fresh perspective on this again.

I am currently a first year civil servant, but I intend to move out into financial and investment research specifically. This is where my interests lie and therefore I want to get a foothold in this area asap.

There are a few routes I can take. Currently, I feel that taking the CFA exams while concurrently trying to apply for a place in one of the financial institutions doing investment research is my best option. However, because my degree (2nd lower) is no big deal in the financial sector, getting into financial institutions may be a tall order.

The other route will be to take a masters in finance (wealth mgmt) to boost my chances of getting into the doors of investment research, although this will be more costly than the CFA route.

Lastly, the CFA route will require me to have at least 4 years of relevant experience before I can attain CFA certification. Can I still take the level 3 exams and pass, and use it as a door opener for financial institutions?

Any other recommendations based on my post so far?

Thanks all

Unregistered 20-06-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 13393)
Yes, I'm sure this topic has come up a few times at least on this forum, but I want to get a fresh perspective on this again.

I am currently a first year civil servant, but I intend to move out into financial and investment research specifically. This is where my interests lie and therefore I want to get a foothold in this area asap.

There are a few routes I can take. Currently, I feel that taking the CFA exams while concurrently trying to apply for a place in one of the financial institutions doing investment research is my best option. However, because my degree (2nd lower) is no big deal in the financial sector, getting into financial institutions may be a tall order.

The other route will be to take a masters in finance (wealth mgmt) to boost my chances of getting into the doors of investment research, although this will be more costly than the CFA route.

Lastly, the CFA route will require me to have at least 4 years of relevant experience before I can attain CFA certification. Can I still take the level 3 exams and pass, and use it as a door opener for financial institutions?

Thanks all

I assume that you are a male with NS, armed with 2nd lower degree

I am just curious how much will a fresh grad get for starting salary from NTU with 2nd lower degree(with NS) in a ministry(any ministry)???

Unregistered 20-06-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks all

u make it sound like its v easy to pass CFA all 3 levels.... its not

alwaysnforever 20-06-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13400)
u make it sound like its v easy to pass CFA all 3 levels.... its not

yes I know, but barring that is there anything else I should take note of?

alwaysnforever 20-06-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13396)
I assume that you are a male with NS, armed with 2nd lower degree

I am just curious how much will a fresh grad get for starting salary from NTU with 2nd lower degree(with NS) in a ministry(any ministry)???

I got 3.2k as an MX officer

Unregistered 20-06-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks all

sigh another banker wannabe. can I suggest that we consolidate all the bankies question under one sticky thread. such qns been asked so many times already. In a nutshell CFA is not easy to take. I got friends who take many times in the end still cant go pass CFA lvl 1. We got people who took CFA from 20 yrs old till they reach 30 yrs old still only lvl 1. And the exam fees not cheap.

I would seriously suggest that you enter into the finance industry not with the mindset that in the end u r going to earn big bucks or be in the front line ie IB. (I assuming that you are looking forward to the $$$ ) Do talk to ppl who work in banks personally and check with them whats the working env like etc and dont listen to all the rumors about banking. If not u will really regret ur career choice.

alwaysnforever 20-06-2011 07:57 PM

well im taking this route because i believe fund management and investment analysis to be my passion. I am willing to work the long hours for something I really like

Unregistered 20-06-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 13407)
well im taking this route because i believe fund management and investment analysis to be my passion. I am willing to work the long hours for something I really like

thats what they all say... but when ur into it... u wish u cld haf more time to urself and do things u like for lesser pay...

Unregistered 20-06-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 13407)

cliche of cliches. make sure you don't repeat this verbatim if you get an interview

alwaysnforever 20-06-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13412)
cliche of cliches. make sure you don't repeat this verbatim if you get an interview

what do you say if they ask why are you applying to be an investment analyst?