Civil service to banking (revisited) - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil service to banking (revisited)

Old 20-06-2011, 01:46 PM

alwaysnforever is on a distinguished road
Default Civil service to banking (revisited)

Yes, I'm sure this topic has come up a few times at least on this forum, but I want to get a fresh perspective on this again.

I am currently a first year civil servant, but I intend to move out into financial and investment research specifically. This is where my interests lie and therefore I want to get a foothold in this area asap.

There are a few routes I can take. Currently, I feel that taking the CFA exams while concurrently trying to apply for a place in one of the financial institutions doing investment research is my best option. However, because my degree (2nd lower) is no big deal in the financial sector, getting into financial institutions may be a tall order.

The other route will be to take a masters in finance (wealth mgmt) to boost my chances of getting into the doors of investment research, although this will be more costly than the CFA route.

Lastly, the CFA route will require me to have at least 4 years of relevant experience before I can attain CFA certification. Can I still take the level 3 exams and pass, and use it as a door opener for financial institutions?

Any other recommendations based on my post so far?

Thanks all

Old 20-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysnforever View Post
Yes, I'm sure this topic has come up a few times at least on this forum, but I want to get a fresh perspective on this again.

I am currently a first year civil servant, but I intend to move out into financial and investment research specifically. This is where my interests lie and therefore I want to get a foothold in this area asap.

There are a few routes I can take. Currently, I feel that taking the CFA exams while concurrently trying to apply for a place in one of the financial institutions doing investment research is my best option. However, because my degree (2nd lower) is no big deal in the financial sector, getting into financial institutions may be a tall order.

The other route will be to take a masters in finance (wealth mgmt) to boost my chances of getting into the doors of investment research, although this will be more costly than the CFA route.

Lastly, the CFA route will require me to have at least 4 years of relevant experience before I can attain CFA certification. Can I still take the level 3 exams and pass, and use it as a door opener for financial institutions?

Thanks all
I assume that you are a male with NS, armed with 2nd lower degree

I am just curious how much will a fresh grad get for starting salary from NTU with 2nd lower degree(with NS) in a ministry(any ministry)???

Old 20-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thanks all
u make it sound like its v easy to pass CFA all 3 levels.... its not

Old 20-06-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
u make it sound like its v easy to pass CFA all 3 levels.... its not
yes I know, but barring that is there anything else I should take note of?
Old 20-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I assume that you are a male with NS, armed with 2nd lower degree

I am just curious how much will a fresh grad get for starting salary from NTU with 2nd lower degree(with NS) in a ministry(any ministry)???
I got 3.2k as an MX officer
Old 20-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thanks all
sigh another banker wannabe. can I suggest that we consolidate all the bankies question under one sticky thread. such qns been asked so many times already. In a nutshell CFA is not easy to take. I got friends who take many times in the end still cant go pass CFA lvl 1. We got people who took CFA from 20 yrs old till they reach 30 yrs old still only lvl 1. And the exam fees not cheap.

I would seriously suggest that you enter into the finance industry not with the mindset that in the end u r going to earn big bucks or be in the front line ie IB. (I assuming that you are looking forward to the $$$ ) Do talk to ppl who work in banks personally and check with them whats the working env like etc and dont listen to all the rumors about banking. If not u will really regret ur career choice.

Old 20-06-2011, 07:57 PM

well im taking this route because i believe fund management and investment analysis to be my passion. I am willing to work the long hours for something I really like
Old 20-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
well im taking this route because i believe fund management and investment analysis to be my passion. I am willing to work the long hours for something I really like
thats what they all say... but when ur into it... u wish u cld haf more time to urself and do things u like for lesser pay...
Old 20-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
cliche of cliches. make sure you don't repeat this verbatim if you get an interview
Old 20-06-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
cliche of cliches. make sure you don't repeat this verbatim if you get an interview
what do you say if they ask why are you applying to be an investment analyst?