Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Sign On After 30? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12778-sign-after-30-a.html)

EXVIUS 12-06-2020 06:42 PM

Sign On After 30?

Hello everyone,

I'd like to gather your thoughts/inputs regarding my situation. I would appreciate serious/honest inputs please.

I'm 31 this year, completed my part-time degree last year with 5 years working experience (education bg ITE>Poly>SUSS). Although I'm getting a fairly reasonable salary (>4k) right now. I struggled with my job (perhaps due to my introverted & softspoken nature) and feels i'm stuck in a professional rut. Moreover my current working environment (SME) isn't exactly ideal...
I put in the hours and the work but don't see myself getting any better with my job (sure some things are easier now but not to my expectations). I wonder if I'm really cut out in my current role (assigned to almost 2 years now).

Personally exercising has been part of my lifestyle (i'm not super fit) IPPT Gold ever since they switched to the points system. Bored of office job and wanted something more active, I applied for SCDF Direct-Entry Lieutenant role. Not expecting a reply but they came back with an upcoming psychometric assessment. Not sure what to expect and anyone has been through please share.

Thinking forward, if i do have the choice to sign on despite my age, what will I be expecting etc?

This isn't about $ as I believe what I'm drawing now is above the pay grade. I don't mind taking a cut if this could turn out to be something meaningful/impactful.

I hope this post comes as sincere to everyone and I really do hope to get some honest inputs of what you guys think. Thank you.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EXVIUS (Post 138015)
Hello everyone,

I'd like to gather your thoughts/inputs regarding my situation. I would appreciate serious/honest inputs please.

I'm 31 this year, completed my part-time degree last year with 5 years working experience (education bg ITE>Poly>SUSS). Although I'm getting a fairly reasonable salary (>4k) right now. I struggled with my job (perhaps due to my introverted & softspoken nature) and feels i'm stuck in a professional rut. Moreover my current working environment (SME) isn't exactly ideal...
I put in the hours and the work but don't see myself getting any better with my job (sure some things are easier now but not to my expectations). I wonder if I'm really cut out in my current role (assigned to almost 2 years now).

Personally exercising has been part of my lifestyle (i'm not super fit) IPPT Gold ever since they switched to the points system. Bored of office job and wanted something more active, I applied for SCDF Direct-Entry Lieutenant role. Not expecting a reply but they came back with an upcoming psychometric assessment. Not sure what to expect and anyone has been through please share.

Thinking forward, if i do have the choice to sign on despite my age, what will I be expecting etc?

This isn't about $ as I believe what I'm drawing now is above the pay grade. I don't mind taking a cut if this could turn out to be something meaningful/impactful.

I hope this post comes as sincere to everyone and I really do hope to get some honest inputs of what you guys think. Thank you.

From SCDF website:

Salary
Salary Range
$3,890 -$4,921*
*with effect from 1 Jan 2020
Indicative salary for fresh graduates. Additional increments may be given for relevant work experience and completion of full-time National Service.

Who knows you might even get more than 4K? Training I think will be physically and mentally challenging so as to prepare you for real life/death incident? Just give it your best since you have been invited for the test. If offered, can consider further to join or not.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone,

Go with your heart! Go for it! Definitely a career with a path setup for you once you step in. Seem like you would be happier joining SCDF..

Unregistered 12-06-2020 11:10 PM

Hi appreciate your sincere sharing. I'm not from SCDF but the fact that they invited you for the assessment means something. 31 isnt too old imho. I'm sure there are even older mid-career switchers who are considering signing on for $$ especially in this covid pandemic. Follow your heart, I say grab this opportunity and go for it! Job satisfaction is very important.

'Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life.'

Unregistered 13-06-2020 12:16 PM

why scdf? this org and ica have a lots of a particular race which u need to handle everyday. with ur fitness should be easy to sign on army or air force. better colleagues and prospects imho

Unregistered 13-06-2020 03:44 PM

Too old. Join DXO better.

Unregistered 13-06-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138060)
why scdf? this org and ica have a lots of a particular race which u need to handle everyday. with ur fitness should be easy to sign on army or air force. better colleagues and prospects imho

Wow. Racist comment spotted. Prolly a racist as well

Unregistered 13-06-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone,

I think scdf needs u to be extroverted?

Usually uniformed officers needs some degree of extraversion. Must speak up loudly to command your men.
But go for it. Since u tired of office jobs.

Do keep fit as fitness is super impt during ur officer course

EXVIUS 13-06-2020 07:39 PM

Hello all,

Thank you all for the inputs! Mixed inputs but I shall keep an open mind.

Please continue to input your thoughts etc if any!

Unregistered 13-06-2020 09:16 PM

just go and do your best, wait till they offer you then you give it serious thought because not so easy to get through

Unregistered 13-06-2020 10:01 PM

Actually I find it intimidating that scdf have to go through the "kolam" ritual which caused a guy to die. Read on the news lately. Quite a scary prospect.

Unregistered 13-06-2020 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138115)
Actually I find it intimidating that scdf have to go through the "kolam" ritual which caused a guy to die. Read on the news lately. Quite a scary prospect.

kolam was in the past. every org got its naughty guys and sadly caused death

last time i nsf in the army also got blanket party.

Unregistered 20-06-2020 12:08 AM

any updates to your assessment?

EXVIUS 20-06-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139018)
any updates to your assessment?

Are you by chance one of the applicants as well? I'm scheduled for an upcoming preliminary interview.

Unregistered 20-06-2020 11:43 AM

Yes, but still at the psychometric test stage. Have not taken it yet. So you took it and got an interview? How long did it take after you completed the test?

Unregistered 21-06-2020 03:03 AM

I just finished preliminary, awaiting for panel interview. It is informal session for the prelim interview don’t worry

Anyone got into panel interview for the past few weeks or months?

Unregistered 21-06-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139165)
I just finished preliminary, awaiting for panel interview. It is informal session for the prelim interview don’t worry

Anyone got into panel interview for the past few weeks or months?

Hi can share what kinda question they ask during prelim interview?

Unregistered 21-06-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139187)
Hi can share what kinda question they ask during prelim interview?

current affairs, casual sharing session, as well as why do you want to join SCDF?

very important to be passionate for the position in SCDF or else it think hard to get in.

Unregistered 21-06-2020 04:09 PM

How is the psychometric like? How long after psycho did you all wait until the next stage?

My situation is almost like the threadstarter, but I have a private degree instead.

Unregistered 21-06-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139195)
How is the psychometric like? How long after psycho did you all wait until the next stage?

My situation is almost like the threadstarter, but I have a private degree instead.

After the psycho stage, Within 24 hours i got offered to go for preliminary interview.

Full time Local degree here, not sure about private degree. Is it part time or full time private degree?

Unregistered 21-06-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139206)
After the psycho stage, Within 24 hours i got offered to go for preliminary interview.

Full time Local degree here, not sure about private degree. Is it part time or full time private degree?

Thanks. All the best.

Full time private degree from SIM. Already have a few years of working experience. About to take the online psycho soon. Will keep you all updated, thanks again!

Unregistered 21-06-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139206)

Did they mention how long will they get back to you after your preliminary interview?

Unregistered 21-06-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139208)
Did they mention how long will they get back to you after your preliminary interview?

if i remember correctly it should be 1-3 weeks....

Unregistered 27-06-2020 01:19 AM

anyone received any updates mah?

Unregistered 27-06-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139979)
anyone received any updates mah?

Preliminary for me soon.

Unregistered 27-06-2020 10:53 PM

Hi Everyone, i have just attended the panel interview.

I have some tips here which are :

1- What value can u bring to the organisation?
2- What are your leadership skills?
3- What are your view on some current affairs?
4- And other questions to get to know you personally.

Unregistered 27-06-2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140057)
Hi Everyone, i have just attended the panel interview.

I have some tips here which are :

1- What value can u bring to the organisation?
2- What are your leadership skills?
3- What are your view on some current affairs?
4- And other questions to get to know you personally.

Thanks. How many interviewers were present? Are you a fresh grad or mid career switch candidate? Local or private uni? Thanks again for your tips!

Unregistered 27-06-2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140059)
Thanks. How many interviewers were present? Are you a fresh grad or mid career switch candidate? Local or private uni? Thanks again for your tips!

Wah damn fast reply u must be monitoring this closely haha. Yes there were 3 panel interviewers - commisisionre, director of HR and one high ranking officer. The preliminary HR officer will be at the side to take notes.

I am a fresh grad with some experiences, and was in Local autonomous uni. Hope it helps!

Unregistered 27-06-2020 11:25 PM

Haha, yes. Thanks for your contributions and wish you the best!

Unregistered 29-06-2020 06:44 PM

Somehow, I am also like your situation. 30 this year, but super sick of office job, have always been interested in joining SCDF but I am drawing mid 5K per month, so taking a pay cut is definitely a big hurdle for me

Unregistered 29-06-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140258)
Somehow, I am also like your situation. 30 this year, but super sick of office job, have always been interested in joining SCDF but I am drawing mid 5K per month, so taking a pay cut is definitely a big hurdle for me

Well, just take the pay cut if u really want to join SCDF.

Or else just stick to your 5.5k/mth jod.

Unregistered 02-07-2020 07:10 PM

Any medical during panel?

Unregistered 03-07-2020 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140625)
Any medical during panel?

Hi everyone, has anyone gotten medical after panel?

dodochicks 07-07-2020 10:45 PM

Hi, i am intending to sign on as SCDF Direct entry lieutenant. Any idea when is the next intake?

Unregistered 13-07-2020 07:19 AM

Hi anyone got any updates? Just finish panel interview last week

dodochicks 23-07-2020 09:55 PM

nobody has any news?

Unregistered 25-07-2020 04:38 AM

Judging from the responses here, it looks like age is not really an issue when signing on for uniformed organisations?

Unregistered 26-07-2020 10:56 AM

Is it true that SAF after 27 or 28 cannot sign already? :(

Unregistered 10-08-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone,

TS Any updates about SCDF DEI from your side?

EXVIUS 21-08-2020 03:46 PM

Hey there! Sorry hasn't been in this forum for awhile. Wow lots of catch up on. Anyway I haven't heard from them since the preliminerary interview. Seems like I wasn't good enough. Oh well.
Interestingly SPF reached out however I wasn't keen.
Don't want to sound like a sour grape but in a hindsight, its not for me.

Good luck to all who applied! :)