Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19 Batch - Are your lowering your expectations? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12512-local-uni-class-2020-covid19-batch-your-lowering-your-expectations.html)

jackcrypto 28-03-2020 12:45 AM

Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19 Batch - Are your lowering your expectations?

heard that it wil be tough. Might be hard to secure a 3k pm job.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 03:49 PM

Sad that we probably wont have a graduation ceremony

Unregistered 28-03-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131071)
Sad that we probably wont have a graduation ceremony

who the **** cares about grad ceremonies when you haven't secure employment after graduation

Unregistered 28-03-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131072)
who the **** cares about grad ceremonies when you haven't secure employment after graduation

I do, cuz i graduated 1 sem earlier and avoided the **** fest going on. Happily enjoying my fresh grad job paying 5K

Unregistered 29-03-2020 05:12 AM

i managed to get 6 job offers because i applied really early, in july and august last year and managed to snag a consulting role which pays over 7k.

guess the early bird catches the worm

Unregistered 29-03-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131073)
I do, cuz i graduated 1 sem earlier and avoided the **** fest going on. Happily enjoying my fresh grad job paying 5K

you're preaching to the choir.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 12:12 PM

No. Still putting 4.5 minimum.

I should be paid at my marginal rate of productivity, and i still want to ask for it :(

Unregistered 29-03-2020 02:01 PM

Fresh grad pay is 3.5k only la. 4.5k that's 10 years experience.

Sick of entitled fresh grad who can't do **** asking for high pay and complain that they don't receive training from senior..

Well you're getting paid senior pay. You can't do the job. Get fired. Don't expect to use the "fresh grad" excuse when you guys are asking for senior pay already.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131140)
Fresh grad pay is 3.5k only la. 4.5k that's 10 years experience.

Sick of entitled fresh grad who can't do **** asking for high pay and complain that they don't receive training from senior..

Well you're getting paid senior pay. You can't do the job. Get fired. Don't expect to use the "fresh grad" excuse when you guys are asking for senior pay already.

Agreed. But I'll still happily collect my 5K fresh grad pay :)

Unregistered 29-03-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131114)
i managed to get 6 job offers because i applied really early, in july and august last year and managed to snag a consulting role which pays over 7k.

guess the early bird catches the worm

My dad is in the board of directors. I don't even have to apply early the job is promised to me. I rejected at first but they offered me 8k so I guess since now can't travel after graduation might as well start working immediately with 8k I forsee reaching 10k on year then I can go travel when covid is over.

No worries. Not always the early bird wins. The bird who have connection wins.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131143)
My dad is in the board of directors. I don't even have to apply early the job is promised to me. I rejected at first but they offered me 8k so I guess since now can't travel after graduation might as well start working immediately with 8k I forsee reaching 10k on year then I can go travel when covid is over.

You're a real talent!

Unregistered 29-03-2020 02:34 PM

Dear Juniors

I was in a similar situation when I graduated, so I can fully empathized with how you are feeling. Fret not, just continue applying for jobs and do detailed research on the company ahead of each interview. People always see the downside but missed the opportunities in a crisis. Companies are hiring lesser, but it also meant that you have lesser competitors once you joined the firm. Stay tight in your first job, once you get it and I am sure you will eventually get one, and you will promote much faster than some of your seniors. Have faith and stay strong :)

Unregistered 29-03-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131144)
You're a real talent!

No la. Just assistant director only la. Will be shadowing the current senior director for few years. To learn the rope. My dad say the company need fresh young blood so no choice lo. Wanted to travel the world before start toiling work until death.

The job also very boring. Heard its just lots of meetings. Business trips. Sian.
My passion is in music not finance

Unregistered 29-03-2020 02:55 PM

offered a 5k job when i graduate in summer. :)

Unregistered 29-03-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131148)
offered a 5k job when i graduate in summer. :)

Fake le. Singapore where got summer.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

you were born lucky, but your dad won't live so long. take care and hope you find yourself another successful dad when your current one goes!

Unregistered 29-03-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131133)

I should be paid at my marginal rate of productivity, and i still want to ask for it :(

Payment is not just about your productivity but also whether the economy allows the employer to afford that rate.

The economy at large and the ongoing pandemic don't give a damn what you as an individual think your work is worth.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131133)

Look at you, getting upset that your degree and vast intellect is in reality worth a lot less than the adults used to tell you it was.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131163)
Look at you, getting upset that your degree and vast intellect is in reality worth a lot less than the adults used to tell you it was.

Why only 4.5k? Should be 5k la. You start at 4.5k as your starting pay. Will take you 2 years to get back to 5k. Should just demand for 5k la.

Cannot get. There are lots of other company willing to offer 5k for untested entitled fresh grad.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131169)
Why only 4.5k? Should be 5k la. You start at 4.5k as your starting pay. Will take you 2 years to get back to 5k. Should just demand for 5k la.

Cannot get. There are lots of other company willing to offer 5k for untested entitled fresh grad.

Don't jealous leh times are bad but the cream of the crop are still getting paid way above 5k. Suck on that

Unregistered 29-03-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131155)
you were born lucky, but your dad won't live so long. take care and hope you find yourself another successful dad when your current one goes!

Sadly thats not how reality works. The assets left behind by his rich dad can probably generate enough passive income for him. Sighh

Unregistered 30-03-2020 08:49 PM

Quote:

huh I just got offered to be one of the board of directors in a MNC. I didn't know it was that hard?

Unregistered 30-03-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131277)
huh I just got offered to be one of the board of directors in a MNC. I didn't know it was that hard?

No need qualification. Just need lots of $$$

Unregistered 31-03-2020 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131169)

me and my colleagues in banking are getting 6 to 7k per month as fresh grads, gonna join soon after grad~

Unregistered 31-03-2020 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131297)
me and my colleagues in banking are getting 6 to 7k per month as fresh grads, gonna join soon after grad~

same, i'll be going to citi, damn excited!

Unregistered 31-03-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131297)

I'm first class honors. I asked for 7k but they offered me 9k. I'm both shocked and surprised. And will work damn hard for the bank

Unregistered 31-03-2020 08:37 AM

lol lots of jobless grads trolling here

Unregistered 31-03-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131305)

not for me though. i had 11 job offers and i can prove it

Unregistered 31-03-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131321)
not for me though. i had 11 job offers and i can prove it

I only have 10. Lose you 1 never mind. Give you.

Unregistered 31-03-2020 04:37 PM

happier

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131298)
same, i'll be going to citi, damn excited!

to sell credit cards?

Unregistered 31-03-2020 04:38 PM

happier

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131305)

those that did well will still find employment...those who didn't....too bad...should have studied hard, partied less..

Unregistered 31-03-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131341)
to sell credit cards?

ficc sales and trading lol

Unregistered 01-04-2020 08:23 AM

No we should not lower our expectations. Once lowered can never be increased. My advice is you can further your studies like master or PhD. Go for it. Don't graduate this year.

Unregistered 01-04-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131437)
No we should not lower our expectations. Once lowered can never be increased. My advice is you can further your studies like master or PhD. Go for it. Don't graduate this year.

Lol then what?? Expect companies to pay u masters/phd salary when you have 0 experience???

Unregistered 01-04-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131438)
Lol then what?? Expect companies to pay u masters/phd salary when you have 0 experience???

Ahbuden. Company now also hire fresh grad without experience what.
Sure in the beginning you have master of PhD has no value.

It's when you're 30 to 40 and company want to promote you to senior management. Those 10 heads compete with you. That's when your master degree and PhD set you apart.

Think long term.

Unregistered 01-04-2020 04:34 PM

Aiyah employers always like lowball one. Get away with the minimum amount they can pay you with. Once i got offered $5/hr for part time job even tho website say $1800/monthly. Rejected it. We should probably have a minimum wage in sg but dont think it will ever happen.

Unregistered 01-04-2020 04:44 PM

I recently got shortlisted for a final interview after super day with a FMCG grad scheme.

I always thought the salary is standardized for most grad programmes but HR asked me for my expected package and I indicated 50K per annum.

Ended up I lost the spot to some private uni guy (I’m friends with the dude) who asked for 2K a month.

Unregistered 01-04-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131516)
I recently got shortlisted for a final interview after super day with a FMCG grad scheme.

I always thought the salary is standardized for most grad programmes but HR asked me for my expected package and I indicated 50K per annum.

Ended up I lost the spot to some private uni guy (I’m friends with the dude) who asked for 2K a month.

It is standardised but for the management training programs. Grad programs are free game. They're of a lower quality so they're easily replaceable

Unregistered 01-04-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131516)

Never heard of any respectable company using salary to lowball for fresh grad hire. Why would they take someone offering 2K only? Means his value is 2K

Unregistered 01-04-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131549)
Never heard of any respectable company using salary to lowball for fresh grad hire. Why would they take someone offering 2K only? Means his value is 2K

I got kena lowball before last year but by some ulu company. Offer me 2.3k and tells me that it is market rate