Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Starting salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1223-starting-salary.html)

Mike 08-09-2011 01:13 PM

Submitting My Resume To ST Aerospace...

Does anyone know about working in ST Aerospace? Is it good? I'm intending to submit my resume to ST Aerospace.

Does ST Aero allow their employees to have moonlighting/part-time job outside?

I would appreciate if there are replies.

Thank you very much!

Unregistered 08-09-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13318)
what is DSTA mean ?

Do Salah Try Again...

Unregistered 10-09-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 16086)
Does anyone know about working in ST Aerospace? Is it good? I'm intending to submit my resume to ST Aerospace.

Thank you very much!

SAF Core Value:-

"WHATEVER YOU DO, JUST DON'T GET CAUGHT."

Good luck!

Unregistered 10-09-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 16086)

Thank you very much!

What do you wanna moonlight as? Night security guard or 7-eleven cashier? Giving tuition should be fine, but if you are employed by contract or worse have CPF contributions by another company, you will be violating the contract with STA. Well, as someone said above, just don't get caught.

Unregistered 11-09-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yk89 (Post 11251)
I completed my undergraduate studies in BA Psychology at SIM Global education and am only waiting for the official graduation now. I haven't been able to look for a full-time job for months and now there is one job which is willing to hire me on a part-time basis (about 30 hours per week) and the pay they offered me is $1000 (excluding CPF contribution). When I asked how much would a full-time job there pay me, they said it'll only be SLIGHTLY more than $1000. Am I very underpaid?

Nope... Be thankful your distance learning degree can still get job offer.. Somemore your discipline is not popular in Singapore... Suggest you further your education by taking a masters degree in a more useful discipline example: acountancy, finance or an MBA..

ricardo 11-09-2011 04:24 PM

Foreign Bank international graduate programme - 3.8k while in training programme (2 years)
After 2 years - Pay 7.5k (posted to investment banking dept as analyst)
Bonus : 85k (annual)
No AWS
Leave: 28 days
This is one of those jobs that can make you a millionaire in the shortest time possible.

JJJJ 11-09-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo (Post 16194)
Foreign Bank international graduate programme - 3.8k while in training programme (2 years)
After 2 years - Pay 7.5k (posted to investment banking dept as analyst)
Bonus : 85k (annual)
No AWS
Leave: 28 days
This is one of those jobs that can make you a millionaire in the shortest time possible.

ricardo Are you currently still in the 2 yrs training? how sure u know after 2 years you will be posted to ibd as analyst?

ricardo 11-09-2011 05:56 PM

Well, just got my bonus this year. In case you got the impression it is in rupiah, nope, its after conversion from USD to SGD.

The route is not easy, luck plays a big part as well, not just interview skills, academic credentials (good degree in any fields can apply, I have team mates with Bachelor of Science from Stanford)

Applicants for such programs usually numbers in hundreds if not thousands (globally). For my batch in 2006, there are only 25 vacancies. After 2 years, everyone will be posted to different depts, depending on performance during the 2 years. Among the 25, 4 of us got into investment banking.

That's glamour part, for the unglam part, we worked crazy hours until midnight everyday (sometimes have to come to office on Saturdays as well), you got to have the passion for it otherwise you can't last.

MeeGoreng 11-09-2011 09:13 PM

I'm in IT industry.
My starting salary was 38.5k p.a 3.5 years back. Now it's 125k p.a
It's quite okay for now not as high as banking fellas..

Unregistered 11-09-2011 09:56 PM

God I hate my life and low salary.

Why couldn't I just be one of you awesome IBs or lawyers in big 4, or consultant at Bain or Accenture. I can only imagine, my whole perspective on life would be different. It's almost as if money suddenly isn't an issue and I can move on to Money with capital M. Probably won't have to chat about aiming for good life, and can immediately talk about "Oh, where shall I invest my 30K that I can easily save after the first year of my work-life, assuming a mediocre bonus?"

GODDDDDDDDDDD

Unregistered 11-09-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeeGoreng (Post 16202)
I'm in IT industry.
My starting salary was 38.5k p.a 3.5 years back. Now it's 125k p.a
It's quite okay for now not as high as banking fellas..

Wow, To jump from 38.5k -->125k p.a in 3 years, its about 300% increment approx.

From my experience in IT industry, when one jump coy, the next coy will usually look at your current salary and offer you an increment based on that, around 20% would be above average. Even for promotion within coy, the increase would be 10-15% at best.

For your figure to be credible (300% increment in short span of 3.5 years), you must have achieved something spectacular.

Did you:
. work as an intern 3.5 years back and after graduating with honors from Oxford university 3.5 years later, switched coy and joined Google ?
. jumped from software developer to senior manager or director (you must have implemented someting similar to facebook to have that big jump) ?
. jumped from a small coy with 38.5k to a big coy (at a rather senior position) to get the 300% increase?
. management trainee at 38.5 k for 3.5 yrs and graduate after 3.5 years after the program to be commanding 125k? (i m rather curious which IT coy has such program, as far as i understand, not even Accenture has such program with big switch in pay in 3.5 years either)

If you think back, 3.5 years earlier, it doesn't make sense either for you to be commanding 38.5 k 3.5 years back if you could command 125k today if its not either of the above scenarios.

Smoky and fishy eh ?

Unregistered 12-09-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yk89 (Post 11253)
But I have a degree! :(

Ur degree worth Only getting $1000 a mth?? consider taking a diploma at a recognise institution instead..

Unregistered 12-09-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yk89 (Post 11251)
I completed my undergraduate studies in BA Psychology at SIM Global education and am only waiting for the official graduation now. I haven't been able to look for a full-time job for months and now there is one job which is willing to hire me on a part-time basis (about 30 hours per week) and the pay they offered me is $1000 (excluding CPF contribution). When I asked how much would a full-time job there pay me, they said it'll only be SLIGHTLY more than $1000. Am I very underpaid?

Wow! i thought I'm the worst. You beat me to it. No offense.

I hope you're doing better now.

Based from your user name, "yk89", i can assume that you're 22 years old this year. Correct me if i'm wrong.

You're still young. i suggest take another degree or master degree that's relevant in Singapore context (i.e. accounting or finance).

Your future is in your hand. You might heard countless of advices. They can show you the door but ultimately, you're walking through the door.

If all else fails, try joining Social Services (they need people) since you're holding a Psychology degree.

I wish you All the Best and Good Luck!

Unregistered 13-09-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo (Post 16199)
Well, just got my bonus this year. In case you got the impression it is in rupiah, nope, its after conversion from USD to SGD.

The route is not easy, luck plays a big part as well, not just interview skills, academic credentials (good degree in any fields can apply, I have team mates with Bachelor of Science from Stanford)

Applicants for such programs usually numbers in hundreds if not thousands (globally). For my batch in 2006, there are only 25 vacancies. After 2 years, everyone will be posted to different depts, depending on performance during the 2 years. Among the 25, 4 of us got into investment banking.

That's glamour part, for the unglam part, we worked crazy hours until midnight everyday (sometimes have to come to office on Saturdays as well), you got to have the passion for it otherwise you can't last.

When the money is good and the work is somewhat challenging (not dull like wrapping cheese), any Tom or Harry will have the PASSION for it.

I can't believe people still talk about passion these days.

But you were right on one thing - LUCK plays a BIG part.

Unregistered 14-09-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16254)
When the money is good and the work is somewhat challenging (not dull like wrapping cheese), any Tom or Harry will have the PASSION for it.

I can't believe people still talk about passion these days.

But you were right on one thing - LUCK plays a BIG part.

If you are working more than 12 hours a day EVERYDAY and you don't like what you are doing, it's like u are being paid for bad sex. Initially u might be motivated by the money aspect, thrilled for the first 6 months, subsequently, u start to feel that hey I am earning scores of money, easily thrashing everyone everywhere, but I don't enjoy reading financial reports, I don't enjoy analyzing equities market or finance data and I have to face the damn chick for most of my life, isn't that sick?

Eventually, u will start to hate your life and might end up castrating yourself.

Money is good but it can only be a hygiene factor. It can never be a motivational factor.

Luck and miracle won't help if you even have the credentials in the first place e.g. Degree without good honors won't even get u past the resume screening process. Even if your big luck grant you your first round interview, if you cannot convince your panel of interviewers why they should hire you over other candidates from excellent backgrounds, you are still crapped either. Luck can only get you a certain distance, personality, credentials, abilities and mindset matter as well.

Unregistered 14-09-2011 01:32 PM

I'll add one more thing: your family connections matter too. If your dad is a semi-big customer of the bank, you can easily get a job with 200k salary.

Well, this, is also LUCK. Cheers!

Unregistered 14-09-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16279)
I'll add one more thing: your family connections matter too. If your dad is a semi-big customer of the bank, you can easily get a job with 200k salary.

Well, this, is also LUCK. Cheers!

Unfortunately, i have to agree with you 100%. If you know the right people, you'll get whatever you want.

Unregistered 14-09-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo (Post 16199)

like to check with you. so u got posted to ibanking in 2008 and your pay became 7.5k then? your 85k bonus is received this year? What is your current basic salary now?

Unregistered 15-09-2011 09:21 PM

I'm dip grad as a Asst Engineer (No EXP)
My starting is 2.8k monthly.
Is it alright for me?

ZzzP

Unregistered 15-09-2011 10:35 PM

will we ever be content if we are always comparing?

Unregistered 15-09-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16304)
will we ever be content if we are always comparing?

Best advice ever.
And it's only one sentence.

Unregistered 16-09-2011 11:21 AM

salary negotiation

If you were a foreigner with 1 year sales experience, 2 years events management but doing those while studying. Now your status is newly graduate of Marketing Management, so you are still considered as a fresher. If an IT solution consulting firm were to offer you a job on sales and marketing which also includes the operation of the business how much will you suppose to say if you were asked how much is your expected salary as a fresher in Singapore?

Hope to have an answer with a nice explanation and hope to have an advice.

Thanks

Unregistered 17-09-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16303)
I'm dip grad as a Asst Engineer (No EXP)
My starting is 2.8k monthly.
Is it alright for me?

ZzzP

Well Done Sir/Madam.

Personally, i think $2.8k for a fresh diploma graduate (No Exp) is excellent. Some or maybe most of fresh undergraduate is starting between $2.4k-$3k (i might be wrong).

When i was a fresh diploma graduate in 2007, my starting pay was $1.8 (not inclusive commission) in banking industry selling credit cards. It was very stressful, very hard work, with long working hours but my commission was freaking awesome.

Anyway, I assume you're in the petrochemical or shipping industry. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Unregistered 18-09-2011 07:05 PM

credit card selling for bank can make how much?

Mind breaking down the numbers? I have always been very curious.

Unregistered 18-09-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16351)
credit card selling for bank can make how much?

Mind breaking down the numbers? I have always been very curious.

Read somewhere that the good ones make 20k a month.

The operative word is "good".

Unregistered 19-09-2011 12:20 AM

Salary

Engineer (no exp) THYSSENKRUPPELEVATOR SG, HOW MANY?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9488)
ST ELECTRONICS LTD

ENGINEER (NO EXP) - $3200

They will try to put you under contract scheme though, which means for the next 1 to 2 years there will be NO PAY INCREMENT.

If you perform well for the next 1 to 2 years of your contract, your contract will be EXTENDED. Nope, they will not want to make you a permanent staff there 'cos they expect you to demand for pay increments.

Unregistered 24-10-2012 06:22 PM

Operations executive

i have 2.5 years OPERATIONS EXECUTIVE experience,now move to new company star pay 2.2k....what you think?

Unregistered 24-10-2012 07:42 PM

local degree no honours
start salary 2.2k ,
worked for 6 years. upgrade to masters.
joined stat board last year 4k

Unregistered 25-10-2012 12:07 AM

Local degree no honors too. Starting 2.2k as contract, leaving 2.4k as perm. Total 3 years.

poor and stupid 25-10-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29462)
Local degree no honors too. Starting 2.2k as contract, leaving 2.4k as perm. Total 3 years.

wtf? which uni, engineering?

Unregistered 26-10-2012 12:53 PM

those who graduated from nus/ntu in 2005, 2006, 2007 - engineering. how has your career progressed?

Unregistered 26-10-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29509)
those who graduated from nus/ntu in 2005, 2006, 2007 - engineering. how has your career progressed?

male
NTU
2nd lower

work in local GLC as engineer, 5 years exp with 1 promotion & 2 wage adjustments, average performer, only $38XX salary......

what do you think!!!

Unregistered 26-10-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 29486)
wtf? which uni, engineering?

Business degree, chose wrong industry lah...

Unregistered 26-10-2012 05:55 PM

Quality assurance
$2500 UOL 2nd upper fresher.. Man how do so many ppl here Get paid so high, feeling worthless

Unregistered 26-10-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29514)
male
NTU
2nd lower

work in local GLC as engineer, 5 years exp with 1 promotion & 2 wage adjustments, average performer, only $38XX salary......

what do you think!!!

But how is your annual package like?

ntu eee 2007 2nd upper

Currently in small local listed coy - S$4.6k/mth, annual ~ >S$60K, pretty pathetic compared to civil service.

Unregistered 26-10-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29520)
But how is your annual package like?

ntu eee 2007 2nd upper

Currently in small local listed coy - S$4.6k/mth, annual ~ >S$60K, pretty pathetic compared to civil service.

wtf your annual package only 12mth basic + 1aws???

my annual ~67k inclusive stock option/aws/bonus

my other friend same company GLC but other dept, same 5 years exp, 'B' performer, now mid-4k basic or ~80k annual inclusive stock option/aws/bonus

Unregistered 27-10-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29522)
wtf your annual package only 12mth basic + 1aws???

my annual ~67k inclusive stock option/aws/bonus

my other friend same company GLC but other dept, same 5 years exp, 'B' performer, now mid-4k basic or ~80k annual inclusive stock option/aws/bonus

wow 3.9K/mth but annual 67K, thats a alot of bonus...oil and gas?

Unregistered 27-10-2012 12:38 PM

3rd class ntu engineering
$39xx after 6 year experience

Unregistered 28-10-2012 02:38 AM

starting pay

do you think its reasonable to ask for 3.5k to 4k sgd starting wage?
What is the market rate like for an engineer?

Ntu eee expecting first class honour
Dean's Lister.

Unregistered 28-10-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29534)
do you think its reasonable to ask for 3.5k to 4k sgd starting wage?
What is the market rate like for an engineer?

Ntu eee expecting first class honour
Dean's Lister.

with 1st class (assume with NS), just join government will give you 3.8k to 4.2k range

private sector, can ask for 3k to 3.5k