Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   DSO Fresh Grad pay? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11948-defence-science-organisation-fresh-grad-pay.html)

DOV 10-09-2019 07:36 PM

DSO Fresh Grad pay?

Anyone knows what's the pay like for DSO fresh grad, assuming FCH from local uni? I went to my school's career fair a while ago and the alumnis kept saying the starting salary is really good, but refused to give an answer. Anyone on the inside can give a hint?

Unregistered 12-09-2019 06:52 PM

my friend offered ~5.5

Unregistered 13-09-2019 12:19 AM

5k flat scholar.

Unregistered 13-09-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 123314)
5k flat scholar.

Seems a bit underwhelming considering how difficult it is to get in

Unregistered 13-09-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 123317)
Seems a bit underwhelming considering how difficult it is to get in

Do you mean dso is easy or hard to get in?

Unregistered 13-09-2019 08:19 PM

not hard to get in... just need to be citizen and have good grades...
5k for first class computing

Unregistered 13-09-2019 10:45 PM

Then shouldnt every citizen want to get in? Eg just 2nd upper and go in get high pay high bonus. Around 16 mth i heard

Unregistered 13-09-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 123336)
Then shouldnt every citizen want to get in? Eg just 2nd upper and go in get high pay high bonus. Around 16 mth i heard

some reasons: (I am speaking as a computing grad)

1. Not everyone wants to join government, slow but stable progression & skills you learned are generally less useful. People I know only joined because of their scholarship bonds.
2. 5k isn't considered high for a computing grad (above average yes, high no)
3. They don't have the reputation of being engineering savvy
4. Interview hiring bar is lower (they only care about your grades)

FYI, I am not saying it is a bad place. But definitely not difficult to get into.

Unregistered 14-09-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 123342)
some reasons: (I am speaking as a computing grad)

1. Not everyone wants to join government, slow but stable progression & skills you learned are generally less useful. People I know only joined because of their scholarship bonds.
2. 5k isn't considered high for a computing grad (above average yes, high no)
3. They don't have the reputation of being engineering savvy
4. Interview hiring bar is lower (they only care about your grades)

FYI, I am not saying it is a bad place. But definitely not difficult to get into.

I agree with most of the points this poster said. (2) 5k is only considered above average for computing - most reputable companies already offering 5.5k. (4) Hiring for fresh grads really does depends on degree classification. If you have FCH, you are likely to get in. If you are only 2.1, you need to have research experience via previous internships / FYP / aspirations to pursue PhD in the future. This is due to the research-heavy nature of DSO.

As for point (1): If you are in computing, chances are the skills are transferable. Not sure about other departments. For (3): if an r&d organization is not 'engineering savvy', I'm not sure what is. Perhaps a bit of context might be useful.

Unregistered 14-09-2019 01:09 PM

Bumpssssssss