Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   High Finance Thread (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11831-high-finance-thread.html)

Unregistered 11-09-2021 05:11 PM

Does anyone know how the EB banks do in Singapore? Am a student at a top UK/US target, and generally EBs pay 20-40% more than BBs in NYC/London. But I heard stories from my local university friends that EBs are quite weak here due to limited M&A dealflow, hence they pay significantly below BBs. Can anyone confirm what typical yearly EB all-in salaries are like here, and preferably by bank? Thanks!

Unregistered 11-09-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampz (Post 182682)
For BBs & some other MMs, IB & S&T pre 2021 (there was recently a raise) both pay fresh grads a base salary of 9.5-10k/mth, with bonus ranging quite widely. This much I can personally confirm from my own experience, though there will be a raise to somewhere around 11-12k/mth for 2022 fresh grads & summer interns.

Heard stories of IBD bonuses hitting up to 100-120% of base for top buckets at stronger banks, but the norm is likely slightly below, maybe 80%? S&T bonuses tend to be a bit lower on average, given that they work 60-70% of IBD hours, have heard stories of 40-60% base being the norm. But these bonus stories are just based on hearsay, I haven't received my first bonus yet. Still, yearly all-in compensation (pre-raise) should have been safely about 200k++ for IBD, and 160k++ in S&T.

In 5 years, associates/AVPs should expect to more or less have doubled their total comp, but variance will be a bit high. For example, a good trader could possibly have already been made VP and be managing 10++m of PnL yearly, while many others could be getting mediocre bonuses due to poor performance, meaning they are likely to leave/be culled soon. Can't give meaningful figures here, as simple average figures are vulnerable to survivorship bias.

Don't know how much AM pays in Singapore

Thanks for the information. What about local bank IB comp?

Unregistered 11-09-2021 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182691)

Worse than PwC Corporate Finance

Unregistered 12-09-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182691)

Do local banks even have an IBD??? Honest question here

Unregistered 12-09-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182767)
Do local banks even have an IBD??? Honest question here

Yes, but they're stronger in ECM.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182729)
Worse than PwC Corporate Finance

Thanks. Any rough estimate for analyst/associate levelsp

Unregistered 12-09-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182770)
Thanks. Any rough estimate for analyst/associate levelsp

Analyst 60k
Associate 90k

Unregistered 12-09-2021 05:47 PM

sorry. may i know what is really high finance ?

Are these hedge fund manager ? your KPI is based on the ROI of the fund under management which resulted in the high earning/bonus payout ?

Apart from that, as BO or MO, i suppose is about support, providing analysis, risk management, compliance related stuff. Why would company pay a high annual package for them ?

i might be wrong, wish to understand more about "high finance".

Unregistered 12-09-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182804)
sorry. may i know what is really high finance ?

Are these hedge fund manager ? your KPI is based on the ROI of the fund under management which resulted in the high earning/bonus payout ?

Apart from that, as BO or MO, i suppose is about support, providing analysis, risk management, compliance related stuff. Why would company pay a high annual package for them ?

i might be wrong, wish to understand more about "high finance".

You are right. Most of the BO and MO guys don't get paid anywhere near what was quoted. In fact many BO or MO esp in less prestigious firms may not even touch $10k p.m. even after 10 years of experience. Unless one has skill which are very rare or in demand, like quants. Even if you are paid a big sum of money, you will be constantly be in fear of losing your job since competition is great from foreigners esp folks from India who are younger, faster, smarter and most importantly cheaper.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182806)
You are right. Most of the BO and MO guys don't get paid anywhere near what was quoted. In fact many BO or MO esp in less prestigious firms may not even touch $10k p.m. even after 10 years of experience. Unless one has skill which are very rare or in demand, like quants. Even if you are paid a big sum of money, you will be constantly be in fear of losing your job since competition is great from foreigners esp folks from India who are younger, faster, smarter and most importantly cheaper.

If you really think the average ceca is smarter than you, then you deserve to lose your job to them :)