Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Advise in education path (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11582-advise-education-path.html)

Harvestor 24-04-2019 02:38 PM

Advise in education path

Hello all,
As per my previous thread, i have signed on to a scholarship with the army as a warrent officer scheme. Planning to further my studies afer my bond ends and to get a job in civil sector and private sector.
However, if i could not get into a local uni, any advises on the stigma on private unis like SIM and a various bunch in singapore? May i know if the employment rate of private uni individuals do they get jobs? And if so how much are they drawing monthly??

Unregistered 24-04-2019 03:43 PM

for your consideration

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvestor (Post 117622)
Hello all,
As per my previous thread, i have signed on to a scholarship with the army as a warrent officer scheme. Planning to further my studies afer my bond ends and to get a job in civil sector and private sector.
However, if i could not get into a local uni, any advises on the stigma on private unis like SIM and a various bunch in singapore? May i know if the employment rate of private uni individuals do they get jobs? And if so how much are they drawing monthly??

hello Harvestor
from SAF WOSE to private, expect your boss to think you cannot work hard and cannot keep up. your pay will sure cut.

I apologise first as my words may not be music to your ears. sorry to rain on your parade, I don't think NTU / NUS / SMU / SUTD is well equipped to support a mid-career undergrad (I'm criticising the school, not you), and I don't think you are prepared to resign and study full time 4 years and get an honours degree. honours degree is what gets fresh grads min of 3.5k before experience. it is not possible to avoid resigning because of the rigour (every 3 hours in class requires extra 3 hours revision) and the time table (office hours), you must be prepared for in order to survive an honour program.

private uni their starting pay is approx 2.6k, each year of Relevant Experience adds $200. anything above this, you smile all the way to the bank. of course, pte degree can get jobs, but how low are you willing to go to be employed? someone mentioned (WorkAdaptGrow) manager 2k, are you willing to go that low? i sincerely salute these breadwinners! same concept as going to the shopping centre, all the cars waiting for a Best slot next to the entrance, not willing to consider a slot 100m far far away.

Maybe your friend starts a firm, admire your talent n ask you to help out, pay u 5k to be a manager... grab it, it hardly gets better than that!

once again, I know its not music to your ears, but I have family in your shoes, and he appreciates. my advise though it agitated him initially, he is grateful, it wakes him up to his surrounding.

ps. don't bother with an advanced diploma/masters degree. countless friends complaining they cannot monetize it. unless your boss wants you to go, then bond you.. then ok.

Harvestor 24-04-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117626)
hello Harvestor
from SAF WOSE to private, expect your boss to think you cannot work hard and cannot keep up. your pay will sure cut.

I apologise first as my words may not be music to your ears. sorry to rain on your parade, I don't think NTU / NUS / SMU / SUTD is well equipped to support a mid-career undergrad (I'm criticising the school, not you), and I don't think you are prepared to resign and study full time 4 years and get an honours degree. honours degree is what gets fresh grads min of 3.5k before experience. it is not possible to avoid resigning because of the rigour (every 3 hours in class requires extra 3 hours revision) and the time table (office hours), you must be prepared for in order to survive an honour program.

private uni their starting pay is approx 2.6k, each year of Relevant Experience adds $200. anything above this, you smile all the way to the bank. of course, pte degree can get jobs, but how low are you willing to go to be employed? someone mentioned (WorkAdaptGrow) manager 2k, are you willing to go that low? i sincerely salute these breadwinners! same concept as going to the shopping centre, all the cars waiting for a Best slot next to the entrance, not willing to consider a slot 100m far far away.

Maybe your friend starts a firm, admire your talent n ask you to help out, pay u 5k to be a manager... grab it, it hardly gets better than that!

once again, I know its not music to your ears, but I have family in your shoes, and he appreciates. my advise though it agitated him initially, he is grateful, it wakes him up to his surrounding.

ps. don't bother with an advanced diploma/masters degree. countless friends complaining they cannot monetize it. unless your boss wants you to go, then bond you.. then ok.

Hi pretty sure I can cope the studying, initially signed on to gain financial freedom during my school days and to be independent as I do not come from a colourful family background and hence I could help out in the family, however I value your understanding on this subject matter and really appreciate you making your point of view, will keep that in mind!! Thank you :)!

Unregistered 24-04-2019 04:35 PM

go get it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvestor (Post 117627)
Hi pretty sure I can cope the studying, initially signed on to gain financial freedom during my school days and to be independent as I do not come from a colourful family background and hence I could help out in the family, however I value your understanding on this subject matter and really appreciate you making your point of view, will keep that in mind!! Thank you :)!

glad to give you one perspective. it sounds like you are very young and have a well thought out plan, with determination for a better future. Respect for the sacrifice as a breadwinner.

if circumstances I highlighted above is not a problem, never give up! Don't ever look back, or tell yourself not possible. Apply for NTU/NUS/SMU/SUTD, and get into one with honours. 1 extra year is worth a lot in terms of salary ( try to get 2:2 at worst).

some people in the DXO forum are reporting 4k for 1:1, 2:2 maybe 3.4k also good... plus you have experience.

Unregistered 24-04-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvestor (Post 117627)

I was wondering ... how many years do you have on your bond? Have you started on your bond yet? & what is your last highest qualification?

If you are still on your bond, why not try private uni part-time (if results are not strong)?

Unregistered 24-04-2019 08:36 PM

The civil service, at least until now, places a lot of emphasis on tertiary education by local university (i.e., NUS, NTU, SMU and SUTD). SIT, SUSS may command slightly lesser while SIM is usually the lowest among since it is more like a ‘private uni’. Your role as a Wospec may also not be regarded as relevant experience so you should be prepared for a 25-35% pay cut as you do not get all the combat-readiness pay. Even for DXOs themselves from public uni, they are usually paid lesser than combat counterparts for the same reason described above.

Right now, i suggest you work your best and if possible get into the top 4, then if otherwise go at least SIT or SUSS if you’re aiming towards the civil service. A quick search would tell you private uni students will face higher obstacle entering civil service - so do your best!

Unregistered 24-04-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvestor (Post 117622)
Hello all,

Actually at end of 5 years, ur regular pay plus allowance will reach very close 3k. pte universities grads dont get so much.

unless you do sales, insurance or real estate, pte universities grads starting pay are not that great. so regulars hitting 5 years, when they decide should they leave or not, it is always a difficult qn to answer. As pay inside is really good. I feel that now the enhanced wos is really better than the old pp1/pp2 system.

Ultimately whether the regular system fits you is the key. Do you enjoy your work. I cannot tell. some people love it, some dislike it. you must see for yourself.

But even if you qualify then for govt uni grad, the starting pay is about 3-3.5k.

Unregistered 25-04-2019 09:06 AM

Saw your other post, Harvestor
Understand that you’re still in poly
Work hard bro, get good results and aim for a good course in a good uni first

Unregistered 25-04-2019 10:31 AM

Agreed in working hard and making sure you maintain a GPA of at least 3.6 and above - this is not too difficult to achieve.

I regretted not working hard in poly; even though things worked out for me in the end because I made it to a low tier local U, worked hard, did as many internships as I can and got into a grad program before graduation.

Life will definitely be easier and more doors will be opened if you work your ass off during poly, get into a good local U, intern as much as you can. Learn skills that are relevant in the future.

Unregistered 25-04-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117679)
Agreed in working hard and making sure you maintain a GPA of at least 3.6 and above - this is not too difficult to achieve.

I regretted not working hard in poly; even though things worked out for me in the end because I made it to a low tier local U, worked hard, did as many internships as I can and got into a grad program before graduation.

Life will definitely be easier and more doors will be opened if you work your ass off during poly, get into a good local U, intern as much as you can. Learn skills that are relevant in the future.

What’s low tier local U mean
Oh I see, so both undergrad and grad same local uni?