Advise in education path - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Advise in education path

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Harvestor is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Advise in education path

Hello all,
As per my previous thread, i have signed on to a scholarship with the army as a warrent officer scheme. Planning to further my studies afer my bond ends and to get a job in civil sector and private sector.
However, if i could not get into a local uni, any advises on the stigma on private unis like SIM and a various bunch in singapore? May i know if the employment rate of private uni individuals do they get jobs? And if so how much are they drawing monthly??

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 03:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Exclamation for your consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestor View Post
Hello all,
As per my previous thread, i have signed on to a scholarship with the army as a warrent officer scheme. Planning to further my studies afer my bond ends and to get a job in civil sector and private sector.
However, if i could not get into a local uni, any advises on the stigma on private unis like SIM and a various bunch in singapore? May i know if the employment rate of private uni individuals do they get jobs? And if so how much are they drawing monthly??
hello Harvestor
from SAF WOSE to private, expect your boss to think you cannot work hard and cannot keep up. your pay will sure cut.

I apologise first as my words may not be music to your ears. sorry to rain on your parade, I don't think NTU / NUS / SMU / SUTD is well equipped to support a mid-career undergrad (I'm criticising the school, not you), and I don't think you are prepared to resign and study full time 4 years and get an honours degree. honours degree is what gets fresh grads min of 3.5k before experience. it is not possible to avoid resigning because of the rigour (every 3 hours in class requires extra 3 hours revision) and the time table (office hours), you must be prepared for in order to survive an honour program.

private uni their starting pay is approx 2.6k, each year of Relevant Experience adds $200. anything above this, you smile all the way to the bank. of course, pte degree can get jobs, but how low are you willing to go to be employed? someone mentioned (WorkAdaptGrow) manager 2k, are you willing to go that low? i sincerely salute these breadwinners! same concept as going to the shopping centre, all the cars waiting for a Best slot next to the entrance, not willing to consider a slot 100m far far away.

Maybe your friend starts a firm, admire your talent n ask you to help out, pay u 5k to be a manager... grab it, it hardly gets better than that!

once again, I know its not music to your ears, but I have family in your shoes, and he appreciates. my advise though it agitated him initially, he is grateful, it wakes him up to his surrounding.

ps. don't bother with an advanced diploma/masters degree. countless friends complaining they cannot monetize it. unless your boss wants you to go, then bond you.. then ok.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Harvestor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hello Harvestor
from SAF WOSE to private, expect your boss to think you cannot work hard and cannot keep up. your pay will sure cut.

I apologise first as my words may not be music to your ears. sorry to rain on your parade, I don't think NTU / NUS / SMU / SUTD is well equipped to support a mid-career undergrad (I'm criticising the school, not you), and I don't think you are prepared to resign and study full time 4 years and get an honours degree. honours degree is what gets fresh grads min of 3.5k before experience. it is not possible to avoid resigning because of the rigour (every 3 hours in class requires extra 3 hours revision) and the time table (office hours), you must be prepared for in order to survive an honour program.

private uni their starting pay is approx 2.6k, each year of Relevant Experience adds $200. anything above this, you smile all the way to the bank. of course, pte degree can get jobs, but how low are you willing to go to be employed? someone mentioned (WorkAdaptGrow) manager 2k, are you willing to go that low? i sincerely salute these breadwinners! same concept as going to the shopping centre, all the cars waiting for a Best slot next to the entrance, not willing to consider a slot 100m far far away.

Maybe your friend starts a firm, admire your talent n ask you to help out, pay u 5k to be a manager... grab it, it hardly gets better than that!

once again, I know its not music to your ears, but I have family in your shoes, and he appreciates. my advise though it agitated him initially, he is grateful, it wakes him up to his surrounding.

ps. don't bother with an advanced diploma/masters degree. countless friends complaining they cannot monetize it. unless your boss wants you to go, then bond you.. then ok.
Hi pretty sure I can cope the studying, initially signed on to gain financial freedom during my school days and to be independent as I do not come from a colourful family background and hence I could help out in the family, however I value your understanding on this subject matter and really appreciate you making your point of view, will keep that in mind!! Thank you !

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up go get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestor View Post
Hi pretty sure I can cope the studying, initially signed on to gain financial freedom during my school days and to be independent as I do not come from a colourful family background and hence I could help out in the family, however I value your understanding on this subject matter and really appreciate you making your point of view, will keep that in mind!! Thank you !
glad to give you one perspective. it sounds like you are very young and have a well thought out plan, with determination for a better future. Respect for the sacrifice as a breadwinner.

if circumstances I highlighted above is not a problem, never give up! Don't ever look back, or tell yourself not possible. Apply for NTU/NUS/SMU/SUTD, and get into one with honours. 1 extra year is worth a lot in terms of salary ( try to get 2:2 at worst).

some people in the DXO forum are reporting 4k for 1:1, 2:2 maybe 3.4k also good... plus you have experience.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestor View Post
Hi pretty sure I can cope the studying, initially signed on to gain financial freedom during my school days and to be independent as I do not come from a colourful family background and hence I could help out in the family, however I value your understanding on this subject matter and really appreciate you making your point of view, will keep that in mind!! Thank you !
I was wondering ... how many years do you have on your bond? Have you started on your bond yet? & what is your last highest qualification?

If you are still on your bond, why not try private uni part-time (if results are not strong)?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 08:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The civil service, at least until now, places a lot of emphasis on tertiary education by local university (i.e., NUS, NTU, SMU and SUTD). SIT, SUSS may command slightly lesser while SIM is usually the lowest among since it is more like a ‘private uni’. Your role as a Wospec may also not be regarded as relevant experience so you should be prepared for a 25-35% pay cut as you do not get all the combat-readiness pay. Even for DXOs themselves from public uni, they are usually paid lesser than combat counterparts for the same reason described above.

Right now, i suggest you work your best and if possible get into the top 4, then if otherwise go at least SIT or SUSS if you’re aiming towards the civil service. A quick search would tell you private uni students will face higher obstacle entering civil service - so do your best!
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestor View Post
Hello all,
As per my previous thread, i have signed on to a scholarship with the army as a warrent officer scheme. Planning to further my studies afer my bond ends and to get a job in civil sector and private sector.
However, if i could not get into a local uni, any advises on the stigma on private unis like SIM and a various bunch in singapore? May i know if the employment rate of private uni individuals do they get jobs? And if so how much are they drawing monthly??
Actually at end of 5 years, ur regular pay plus allowance will reach very close 3k. pte universities grads dont get so much.

unless you do sales, insurance or real estate, pte universities grads starting pay are not that great. so regulars hitting 5 years, when they decide should they leave or not, it is always a difficult qn to answer. As pay inside is really good. I feel that now the enhanced wos is really better than the old pp1/pp2 system.

Ultimately whether the regular system fits you is the key. Do you enjoy your work. I cannot tell. some people love it, some dislike it. you must see for yourself.

But even if you qualify then for govt uni grad, the starting pay is about 3-3.5k.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 09:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Saw your other post, Harvestor
Understand that you’re still in poly
Work hard bro, get good results and aim for a good course in a good uni first
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Agreed in working hard and making sure you maintain a GPA of at least 3.6 and above - this is not too difficult to achieve.

I regretted not working hard in poly; even though things worked out for me in the end because I made it to a low tier local U, worked hard, did as many internships as I can and got into a grad program before graduation.

Life will definitely be easier and more doors will be opened if you work your ass off during poly, get into a good local U, intern as much as you can. Learn skills that are relevant in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agreed in working hard and making sure you maintain a GPA of at least 3.6 and above - this is not too difficult to achieve.

I regretted not working hard in poly; even though things worked out for me in the end because I made it to a low tier local U, worked hard, did as many internships as I can and got into a grad program before graduation.

Life will definitely be easier and more doors will be opened if you work your ass off during poly, get into a good local U, intern as much as you can. Learn skills that are relevant in the future.
What’s low tier local U mean
Oh I see, so both undergrad and grad same local uni?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please advise on my career path plan seablue Income and Jobs 15 05-04-2020 11:37 AM
Advise needed. Stuck on career path helpadviseneeded Income and Jobs 28 25-08-2017 12:54 PM
PHD in Education VS Doctor in Education at NIE JT123 Income and Jobs 3 11-07-2015 10:37 AM
Advise on a career path in finance/investment passer-by Income and Jobs 12 29-11-2011 05:00 PM
Need advise on which studies path to choose traveller Income and Jobs 5 09-09-2011 03:19 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,680 Replies, 5,448,244 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,589 Replies, 1,251,470 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,819 Replies, 1,057,579 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,566 Replies, 1,551,080 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
86 Replies, 62,571 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,299 Replies, 234,691 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
807 Replies, 533,736 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 23,674 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,701 Replies, 2,382,414 Views
Cold calls/emails to HR ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 1,182 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
84 Replies, 11,874 Views
Insurance Agent to Bancassurance...
7 Replies, 5,114 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 240,444 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
923 Replies, 739,342 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
121 Replies, 113,739 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
60 Replies, 16,234 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
2 Replies, 986 Views
Mask price discount in cb period
0 Replies, 51 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 4,253 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 169,262 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
244 Replies, 46,145 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,710 Replies, 779,945 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,156 Replies, 879,416 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,207 Replies, 1,859,137 Views
Dentist Salary
7 Replies, 6,050 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 10,385 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 21,196 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
124 Replies, 81,630 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,344 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,974 Replies, 917,728 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2