Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Engineer Pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10542-engineer-pay.html)

Unregistered 08-01-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donny21 (Post 196813)
Mech engineering, fch from ntu

I am your poor senior with a pass degree from NTU mech engineering 12 years ago.
My starting pay was $2400 with roughly 2 months bonus in 2009 adds up to only around 34k.
The offered package is reasonably good but most importantly, you may need to think and research a bit more.
- Is the role only restricted to Semiconductor industry? In case, semiconductor js moving out of singapore, locally, there are jobs for you or else you will need to work elsewhere or you need step backward on yiur progression if this really happen.
- What are the potential upgrades in 1-2yrs, 5yrs, 10 yrs roadmap?

First and foremost, is this your true interest? If not, you will be wasting a lot of time on the first job doing a job not beneficial for your career.

donny21 09-01-2022 12:08 PM

Thanks for the advice provided! I agree that knowing whether role is restricted to semi-conductor industry is very important, actually, I was hoping any ex-micron or current micron employees could share their opinions on this.

From the job scope, it seems like the skills sets from this role are quite transferable as a lot of it revolves around working with different process engineers to integrate individual processes in a project, along with data mining and analysis of results.

For progression wise, I was told by my friend at micron(from a different role) that the process integration engineer usually has a faster progression and most decent ones get promoted to managerial level within 5-6 years (engineer 1 to 3 to manager).

Anyway, this is the first job offer that I received and since this is still early on, I spoke to the HR nicely and asked if it is possible for me to accept the position but reject it if a better one comes to me along the way. She said it is fine as long as it is not too late and I do not need to serve the notice period if I have not started my first day there.

Unregistered 09-01-2022 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donny21 (Post 196959)
Thanks for the advice provided! I agree that knowing whether role is restricted to semi-conductor industry is very important, actually, I was hoping any ex-micron or current micron employees could share their opinions on this.

From the job scope, it seems like the skills sets from this role are quite transferable as a lot of it revolves around working with different process engineers to integrate individual processes in a project, along with data mining and analysis of results.

For progression wise, I was told by my friend at micron(from a different role) that the process integration engineer usually has a faster progression and most decent ones get promoted to managerial level within 5-6 years (engineer 1 to 3 to manager).

Anyway, this is the first job offer that I received and since this is still early on, I spoke to the HR nicely and asked if it is possible for me to accept the position but reject it if a better one comes to me along the way. She said it is fine as long as it is not too late and I do not need to serve the notice period if I have not started my first day there.

its sad to hear engineers wants to be mgr after 5 years. no wonder we do not have much engineering expertise in sg

Unregistered 09-01-2022 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 196991)
its sad to hear engineers wants to be mgr after 5 years. no wonder we do not have much engineering expertise in sg

no choice. everything so ex in SG. not manager how to afford mortgage?

Unregistered 09-01-2022 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 196991)

What’s sad about someone who is hardworking with the results to prove it wanting to be in a managerial position after 5 years? His academical results clearly puts him in the top 20% of the entire cohort and he is showing careful consideration of whether take the job (considering whether it’s a sustainable decision). Who is to say someone wanting to be in a managerial position within 5 years cannot contribute more effectively than a boomer with 20 years of ineffectiveness?

Would it make you happier if engineers only want to be managers after grinding 20 years like you?

Unregistered 09-01-2022 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donny21 (Post 196959)

You may search linkedin profile and glassdoor/career future website to understand roughly how many years to reach manager role in micron and how much a manager earn in micron.

Unregistered 09-01-2022 08:41 PM

From my micron experience many years back, ppl with FCH or a officer role during NS will have a stable pathway to managerial role. I had colleagues whom became managers within 3 years.

Unregistered 09-01-2022 08:48 PM

Semicon is definitely not on par with TECH roles in terms of pay. If you are still fresh, would suggest you start with a TECH role than a process/equipment engineer role (spend some time to study in a bootcamp, etc). In due time semicon might shift out as our cost is high here. China, Vietnam will be a much feasible location for produxtion.

Unregistered 10-01-2022 12:30 AM

You guys must be deluded if you think all it takes to be a manager is merely being good at your job. Learn how to stroke a cock and gulp it down if you want to get there.

Unregistered 10-01-2022 02:18 PM

what kind of job should i look at if i have EEE