Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   Business Degrees Not In Demand Anymore (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/707-business-degrees-not-demand-anymore.html)

no longer in banking-- 25-04-2009 03:43 PM

when i was still in GS..i was earning more than most others in other industries and i was driving a Audi TT...but so what? i dont even get the chance to flaunt my car or $ as i will usually either be working in office or recuperating (after a long busy week or day) at home

banking2-- 25-04-2009 09:41 PM

some work long hours but some don't. i bet there are those around you in gs that don't work long hours and yet get fat paychecks and enjoy life. the lucky ones. i'm one of them, but not in a ib setting. not getting ib comp but high enough to be in the Audi TT league. :)
so care to reveal - no need specifics - where u r working now? what pays as well as ib? mgmt consulting or administrative service? oil & gas?

no longer in banking-- 27-04-2009 09:40 PM

banking2, of course there are people who work shorter hours and yet earn a fat paycheck but what i am saying is the general people in GS. Obviously i know you are trying very hard to tell all of us that you work short hours and yet you are getting a fat pay check. Dont worry, i am sure everyone here got your hint. Well i have no idea what is your definition of "fat" paycheck as it differs from one person to another. To my ex-boss, 2-5mil/year is considered a fat pay check but to me, 500k/year and above is "fat" enough. There will always be someone who is earning more than you and there will always be someone who is earning less so i guess this is very subjective and i believe that we should not be too full of ourselves even though we might be doing well. It is not important to reveal my current industry. Like what i have said previously, i might be getting less $ now but i fully enjoy it.

adiemuso-- 28-04-2009 10:08 AM

its all relative, dun get too upset over it. as long as your lifestyle is manageable and comfortable be contented.

I do noe of folks in SG who earn less than 500 per mth and the folks who can afford to bum around and yet gets millions a year.

so...?

Curious-- 28-04-2009 11:09 AM

No longer in banking, would you know how much does someone from product origination side (not investment banking) typically earn in an international bank after 4 to 5 years? Would they earn more than investment banking people? What's the career progression for such guys?

Walid-- 13-05-2009 10:40 PM

Science jobs do not pay well. I have a PhD and pay is only $4.8k per month AFTER 4 YEARS EXPERIENCE.

Prof-- 14-05-2009 10:27 AM

Try to become a professor. The pay is somewhat better.