Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   Business Degrees Not In Demand Anymore (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/707-business-degrees-not-demand-anymore.html)

banking2-- 24-04-2009 08:26 AM

still in banking too. unfortunately for some (i estimate abt 10%), they have been retrenched. so if u have the stomach for this risk of being laid off (rather low in my opinion), banking is still a very attractive sector. it pays much better compared to other sectors for such a 'risk' u take on. but it's hard to get in at this pt in time as banks are simply not hiring or are hiring very selectively. i pity the freshies cos once u start off in another sector, it's harder later to switch- u'd then be competing with other pple like u as well as other freshies then. i know, cos i managed to switch years ago, just barely.

no longer in banking-- 24-04-2009 10:33 AM

banking sucks...i got out recently and i am now earning more and enjoying my work more in another industry

low cost-low tech-- 24-04-2009 01:30 PM

can we know which banking co were u in ?

no longer in banking-- 24-04-2009 02:14 PM

goldman sachs

Jimmy Lim-- 24-04-2009 03:13 PM

I agree that it is not wise to conclude business degree is not good from what is said in Sunday Times.

Eventually, things learned in Arts courses like some European Studies(or whatever regions studies), Political Science are less useful both in job and in life compared to Business Studies.

If I am entering uni now, I would definitely prefer Business to arts and social sciences.

First is that both can become a teacher or work in government stat board as these 2 career options don't need a specialized degree, just any good honors degree.

Second is that you will more useful things in Business Studies.

Third is that if you can make it into the lucrative banking and finance sector as a fresh graduate and work there for some years before being retrenched. I don't see why MOE won't employed you as a teacher. Bear in mind that MOE also got recruit mid-career entry.

I already sort of known the smell of our government and the type of news being reported in local media.

After a few years of encouraging own citizens in business/entrepreneurship (after life science trend), together with phenomenon created by Rich Dad Poor Dad, you can see that top A level students flocking to business studies in NUS/NTU/SMU, then no one wants to study engineering and it become a dumping ground.(No matter what the trend is, Medicine and Lawyer courses still got high demand).

Now the government wants to simulate demand for other courses, that's why you see Mediacorp got a drama encouraging engineering.(P.S. Mediacorp seems to be acting as a agent for spreading government messages, with the IR nearly completed, I foresee that there will be more dramas encouraging us not to gamble, by now, already got more than 2 dramas before with anti-gambling messages already)

Before deciding on your courses, take into considerations your interest or at least what you confirm dislikes, rather than flocking to this or that based on the trends that the government created/mainstream media.

Remember the life science trend lesson.

low cost-low tech-- 24-04-2009 04:23 PM

you are not one of those who lost billions at work & earn billions in bonus ??

no longer in banking-- 24-04-2009 04:30 PM

of course not...if i am...i dont think i will be here talking to you :)

banking2-- 24-04-2009 10:27 PM

having gs on ur resume is definitely a gd thing. r u in mgmt consulting now? care to share why u left gs and how u got into another industry? thanks in advance for sharing.

no longer in banking-- 25-04-2009 01:36 PM

left GS because i got a better offer elsewhere....though i can definitely make alot more in future if i stay in GS...i think the life out of GS is definitely more enjoyable...good money doesnt always guarantee you a better life...i rather make a little lesser to have a more balanced and enjoyable lifestyle

no longer in banking-- 25-04-2009 03:39 PM

people always say that they dont mind working long hours if they are paid well (esp in banking)...but when they are in it for a few years...they will dread it and look for their way out...its common especially in the IB environment