Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   Engineering and Technology Careers are Not Valued - Singapore is "High Cost Low Tech" (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/646-engineering-technology-careers-not-valued-singapore-high-cost-low-tech.html)

Low-paid-- 01-09-2008 10:01 AM

I'm not in retail. I'm in the professional services industry. So which is why I think I'm shortchanged. Then again, I don't have additional certifications apart from my Computing degree.

Am looking to jump ship!

eng_in_quandary-- 04-09-2008 03:41 AM

A fantastic Blog with some great inputs! As a non-singaporean engineer, the details've come as a surprise to me. Are the salary levels for engineers more or less at par across different sectors, say software/ chemical/ manufacturing? Generally, software tends to be towards the higher side in quite a few countries. Does this hold in Singapore? Also, what would be a decent monthly sal for an expat with 7 yrs of very good R&D software experience? S$ 7K??

angpai-- 05-09-2008 12:05 AM

Hi eng_in_quandary, r u sure u want to do R&D in Singapore? U notice the title of this thread?

Hi Low-paid, 5.5K not that bad already if your company is a stable, wont close type. Is very much depends on how u save and not how much u earn.

5m10y-- 05-09-2008 06:15 PM

Eh, of course it very much depends on how much you earn also. 70% of 5.5k and 70% of 20k is very different leh :)

I've always been good at saving, since I started working I was able to save about 50% of my salary. Now that my salary has gone higher, I can save around 70%.

How much you earn matters VERY MUCH.

Sure, there are people who earn 100k/month and spend 100k/month and as such are poorer than us who save 10% of our (much lower) salary. But these people are irrelevant to our purpose of building wealth, except as lessons (don't do it like they do), and as useless consolations (see, earn so much also cannot save, I'm better, har har har...)

There's a limit to how much you can save per month without making yourself too miserable. Past that, the only way to improve is by improving how much you earn.

Priyojit Khersa-- 08-09-2008 12:37 AM

Quite a good informative discussions in the forum, thanks.Hi, myself Priyojit from India. I am looking for an opportunity to work in Singapore.Presently I am workng with TCE Consulting Engineers in India (a TATA enterprise) as a Planning Engineer & co-ordinator I have 3 yrs & 9 months experiance in building construction since I completed my academics-Bachelor in Architecture & Post Graduation in Construction Management .I have got hands on experiance in planning with MS Project & Primavera. I am exposed to handling special construction projects like Hospitals & Automobile plants. Can any body guide me in this regard. What should be my expectations. My email ID is [email protected]

Low-paid-- 08-09-2008 10:32 AM

At the end of the day, if one is not satisfied, no matter how high his/her salary is, he/she will not be happy.

I guess I will try to learn to be contented with my meagre pay :)

low cost-low tech-- 08-09-2008 10:59 AM

hi angpai

how much should engineer at 34 years be paid ??
Just want to assess the market rate.

5m10y-- 09-09-2008 06:29 AM

Depends what kind of engineer. IT Engineer? Normal rate is around 6-8k.

low-paid-- 09-09-2008 03:31 PM

Shldn't it be an engineer with x number of years of experience should be paid how much as opposed to how old right?

Dude-- 09-09-2008 07:41 PM

If you are 34, I reckoned 8-10 years?