Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   LSE Economics or NTU Accountancy and Business (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/2792-london-school-economics-economics-nanyang-technological-university-accountancy-business.html)

zenstars 02-06-2013 02:45 PM

LSE Economics or NTU Accountancy and Business

Hello all,

I am in some dire need of advice, because I feel rather lost and confused about my future.

I got an offer from LSE Economics. I originally intended to go on a scholarship, but didn't manage to secure a govt scholarship. I am now left with the options of going LSE self-financed and to stay local and study a double degree in Accountancy and Business at NTU.

Going to LSE will cost about 150K - 200K, and my family isn't super rich, just the typical heartlander family staying in HDB 5-room.

Can anyone tell me the career prospect of an LSE graduate? People kept telling me "oh you can go into investment banking and earn a lot of money", but honestly speaking, isn't it very tough to get into the good front office roles?

I will only go to LSE if I know that the future career prospect is great, and it is worth the initial investment in school fees. Any advice from you guys who are already working and know more information?

Thank you!

cslee 02-06-2013 05:18 PM

Stay local. There is no guarantee that having LSE degree will surely succeed. You can always take a master degree overseas when you've accumulated enough wealth of your own later in life instead of 'taxing' on your parents' retirement fund

zenstars 02-06-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 37941)
Stay local. There is no guarantee that having LSE degree will surely succeed. You can always take a master degree overseas when you've accumulated enough wealth of your own later in life instead of 'taxing' on your parents' retirement fund

Okay, thank you for your opinion.

Right now the only thing that is swaying me to LSE is the fact that it has always been my dream school. I also thought about getting a mid-term scholarship and get bonded to a stat board, but then again it is not guaranteed that I would get it.

As for NTU Accountancy and Business, I am fine with it, just that I really have never considered accountant as a career choice..

I have been browsing the forums and many are saying the outlook in finance sector is very bleak, the industry is shrinking etc. Pretty confused..

Unregistered 02-06-2013 06:39 PM

Studying in NTU Accountancy is always the safest bet if all other plans don't work out. U won't go wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenstars (Post 37944)

Right now the only thing that is swaying me to LSE is the fact that it has always been my dream school. I also thought about getting a mid-term scholarship and get bonded to a stat board, but then again it is not guaranteed that I would get it.

As for NTU Accountancy and Business, I am fine with it, just that I really have never considered accountant as a career choice..

I have been browsing the forums and many are saying the outlook in finance sector is very bleak, the industry is shrinking etc. Pretty confused..

Unregistered 02-06-2013 07:48 PM

I think it is a bad idea to incur >150k for your LSE study. Career-wise, LSE is definitely way more advantageous than NTU. BUT, it is very unlikely that the LSE education can develop your career in a way that justify such a large investment.

cslee 02-06-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenstars (Post 37944)

Finance career is not accountancy. Like the other forumer said, an accountant would never get out of job. Whether recession or boom time, every firm still need their finance lifeline to be processed by humans. But prepared to work late hours, esp in early career stage.

Unregistered 02-06-2013 08:33 PM

Dude...i know what i am talking about. To get into the finance industry, studying in accountancy is one of the most feasible routes. It's NOT just about doing audit and accountancy. It opens the doors to banking, business related industry etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 37952)
Finance career is not accountancy. Like the other forumer said, an accountant would never get out of job. Whether recession or boom time, every firm still need their finance lifeline to be processed by humans. But prepared to work late hours, esp in early career stage.

cslee 03-06-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37953)
Dude...i know what i am talking about. To get into the finance industry, studying in accountancy is one of the most feasible routes. It's NOT just about doing audit and accountancy. It opens the doors to banking, business related industry etc.

Since you've your mind set, you should have this thread closed.

Unregistered 03-06-2013 06:57 PM

why is CSLEE sprouting nonsense? don't know anything yet still wanna talk so much. haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 37999)
Since you've your mind set, you should have this thread closed.

cslee 03-06-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38006)
why is CSLEE sprouting nonsense? don't know anything yet still wanna talk so much. haha.

now i can see why you can't get govt scholarship despite stellar results. you lack some key attributes: humility, eq etc. a far cry from my PSC scholar colleagues and bosses.