Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   GovTech (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/8982-govtech.html)

Unregistered 04-11-2023 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259673)
The only real way is get an MNC to make you an offer and you show your RO. ^_^

Is this the only way tho..

Unregistered 05-11-2023 01:43 AM

Told myself if after 1 year no news of conversion I'll tell my RO don't bother to tell me wait until second year. Better off to find jobs before my contract end. Everyone have mouths to feed.

Unregistered 05-11-2023 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259673)
The only real way is get an MNC to make you an offer and you show your RO. ^_^

Not from GovTech here. But in the public service, bosses will not panic and try to counter-offer you with higher compensation or benefits. Even your direct RO will not have the authority to decide. The most they can offer you is to "progressively groom you for the next few years" for higher positions.

Showing them such things, will most probably only convince them that you're swayed, about to resign, and they can afford to give you a poorer grade so that those who stay can get higher grades. Just nice can fulfill bell curve quota.

The truth is that the public service has no lack of people applying because of the stability, so there's no real worry about shortage.

That said, if you're bold enough, you can always do this as a social experiment and let us know the results :P

Unregistered 05-11-2023 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259698)
Told myself if after 1 year no news of conversion I'll tell my RO don't bother to tell me wait until second year. Better off to find jobs before my contract end. Everyone have mouths to feed.

So when do u plan to tell your RO ?

Services as well? DBA ? All the best

Unregistered 05-11-2023 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259705)
Not from GovTech here. But in the public service, bosses will not panic and try to counter-offer you with higher compensation or benefits. Even your direct RO will not have the authority to decide. The most they can offer you is to "progressively groom you for the next few years" for higher positions.

Showing them such things, will most probably only convince them that you're swayed, about to resign, and they can afford to give you a poorer grade so that those who stay can get higher grades. Just nice can fulfill bell curve quota.

The truth is that the public service has no lack of people applying because of the stability, so there's no real worry about shortage.

That said, if you're bold enough, you can always do this as a social experiment and let us know the results :P

You are right also la. Everyone is dispensable and replaceable.

Unless u are LHY then maybe different story haha

Unregistered 05-11-2023 10:55 AM

Quote:

the OP asked how to prove to his RO. apologies i forgot the \s. I would just have taken the higher offer and not resort to childish actions. I have worked in Govt, GLCs, MNCs so i know them quite well.

the truth is that public service has no lack of people but has lack of talents. this is exemplified by the ‘no day no night’ ‘firefighting’ mentality of how work is supposed to be done. if have no real consequences for failure then of course you can carry on. good luck making your products competitive in the global arena.

during a recruitment exercise for govt i told them with a \s that the most important quality they should look out for is not technical ability, but being tied down with housing loans and three kids, and humble enough to take blame even when not his fault. the whole world is a bell curve, sure can find such people.

Unregistered 05-11-2023 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259707)
You are right also la. Everyone is dispensable and replaceable.

Unless u are LHY then maybe different story haha

yes, anyone can be replaced. you can even pick up a grandma cleaner and give her a 3-week skillsfuture course and she can be a sysadmin or project manager.

If you are in an organization where you are not competing with other companies, repeated failure is tolerated and can be excused with a simple chatgpt writeup, then talent doesn't really matter.

If you are that grandma of course you will be very happy, but then there goes the question that if you are a talent do you really want to stick around in such an organization?

Unregistered 05-11-2023 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259722)
yes, anyone can be replaced. you can even pick up a grandma cleaner and give her a 3-week skillsfuture course and she can be a sysadmin or project manager.

If you are in an organization where you are not competing with other companies, repeated failure is tolerated and can be excused with a simple chatgpt writeup, then talent doesn't really matter.

If you are that grandma of course you will be very happy, but then there goes the question that if you are a talent do you really want to stick around in such an organization?

If I'm talent and the job pays and give me satisfaction, why not

Just live another day

I think really depends on age. When we age, slowly turn into it's ok. Let others handle it

Unregistered 05-11-2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259728)
If I'm talent and the job pays and give me satisfaction, why not

Just live another day

I think really depends on age. When we age, slowly turn into it's ok. Let others handle it

If you are content to lie flat, and adopt the act blur live longer mantra, are you sure you're a talent or just comforting yourself?

Unregistered 05-11-2023 06:13 PM

Quote:

It depends. I am frm GT and some of my colleagues managed to convert after voicing out that they have family to feed. Those that are single are given lower priority. True that ps has no lack of people applying, but quality matters. This is why ps is choke full of low quality characters. Most ppl frm GT can agree that most RO and leads in GT have no substances. Just a joke of an organisation. If u are good, they will beg u to stay.