Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   MAS for Mid Career Professionals (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/2119-monetary-authority-singapore-mid-career-professionals.html)

Unregistered 01-11-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188766)
Imo it is possible. Obviously you shouldn't be comparing against front office type roles, but if we think about hours worked in risk/internal audit/compliance functions it is probably comparable.

More generally, it is a misconception that govt jobs necessarily have good work life balance.

Not all Mas departments work as compliance roles right? There are finance roles working on projects to bring in more investments or public policies. These jobs have better working life compared to private sector isn’t it

Unregistered 01-11-2021 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188800)
Not all Mas departments work as compliance roles right? There are finance roles working on projects to bring in more investments or public policies. These jobs have better working life compared to private sector isn’t it

Unfortunately, this is not the case in MAS. I would say their work is actually more draining than the regulatory departments.

Unregistered 01-11-2021 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188756)
FI offer more work life balance? i thought its the other way around?
MAS is govt leh?

MAS work life balance actually varies quite a lot from department to department. I think most are somewhat ok.

What is not ok is the ridiculous number of projects an officer is saddled with. It is simply not possible for one person to be handling 6 or 7 projects in addition to his regular jobscope. This is also the reason why many projects just end up in limbo; the officer routinely makes choices on which projects to sacrifice.

What is more amazing is that the management doesn't even understand how massive a traffic jam has occured in the decision-making process. There are simple things that have not been reviewed despite being submitted more than 6 months ago. The end result is that this simple thing takes well over 3 years to be implemented. And when I say simple, it is reaaaallly simple.

The solution is pretty straightforward actually: Management needs to learn to reduce the layers of approval to speed things up. Including extra layers of approval contributes to only marginal improvements. Most of the time, it drags on the process endlessly. Have faith and trust your staff. Gotta think of the bigger picture all the time.

Unregistered 02-11-2021 12:46 PM

Hope the Ess results reflect this. By the way where to chk new pay?

Unregistered 02-11-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188837)
MAS work life balance actually varies quite a lot from department to department. I think most are somewhat ok.

What is not ok is the ridiculous number of projects an officer is saddled with. It is simply not possible for one person to be handling 6 or 7 projects in addition to his regular jobscope. This is also the reason why many projects just end up in limbo; the officer routinely makes choices on which projects to sacrifice.

What is more amazing is that the management doesn't even understand how massive a traffic jam has occured in the decision-making process. There are simple things that have not been reviewed despite being submitted more than 6 months ago. The end result is that this simple thing takes well over 3 years to be implemented. And when I say simple, it is reaaaallly simple.

The solution is pretty straightforward actually: Management needs to learn to reduce the layers of approval to speed things up. Including extra layers of approval contributes to only marginal improvements. Most of the time, it drags on the process endlessly. Have faith and trust your staff. Gotta think of the bigger picture all the time.

so most departments work from 9-6?

Unregistered 03-11-2021 12:34 AM

Nt bad 6% increment!

Unregistered 03-11-2021 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188962)
Nt bad 6% increment!

Think it varies according to grade. Which grade are u in? 12? 11?

Unregistered 03-11-2021 12:33 PM

Yeah I got 8% up my base salary

Unregistered 03-11-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188981)
Yeah I got 8% up my base salary

Was your appraisal score better than default? Or is it because you are DD?

Unregistered 04-11-2021 10:36 PM

What is the average working hours for most of the departments?