Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Starting pay for Masters in Economics
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Oxbridge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by same guy as last time View Post
Short story is that I didn't get in.

There were 4-5 bulge bracket IBs (now 3?), who maybe take on 10-20 slaves a year each; also a whole bunch of boutiques that take in 1-2 a year...

I tried competing, attended full day sessions and workshops... Damn siong btw... but like American Idol, there are only so many that get brought in to the finals... mind you everyone had a Oxbridge, IC, LSE etc etc. degree or 2. 1 EVP at Citi really liked me, but even that's not enough sometimes...

so how? come back to Singapore and land the first job you can.

In hindsight (sour grapes maybe) I have seen that those in IBs have lost their quality of life. Single, tired and rich is not how i would describe myself... but I do think I am happy...

So to all the wank*rs out there who come here and boast abt your million dollar salaries p*ss off

To all those benchmarking, the stats don't lie; chances are if you can afford an internet connection, you're doing alright.

Hi , I know how you feel. Even for an oxbridge graduate myself, I did not manage to secure any IB positions. Just so you know that we are competing with other foreign talents as well. The job market in the UK was horrible last year, and I even the Brits and Americans were even applying for front office positions in Singapore and Hong Kong. Actually if you take into account takes and everything else, salaries in Singapore (FO) are about 30% higher than the UK.

UK - 40% Income tax + 20% VAT
SG - ~10-15% Income tax + 7% GST