Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Unregistered

Can I just ask if you are studying at SMU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorty View Post
It wasn't the case that my professors actively hinted that they were making X amount of money. Rather, I asked a couple of them in private about how working as an academic was like, and pay naturally was one of the subjects that came up obliquely.

Academia definitely pays less than private practice, but it is still a decent pay that allows you to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle (car, condo, annual vacations, etc). Not everything is about money. As an academic, you get far better work life balance, you get to pursue your intellectual interests, and you get to mould the lawyers, judges and politicians of tomorrow. You fly around the world presenting papers at conferences, you have leisurely lunches with colleagues and students discussing issues of the day, and newspapers call you up asking you for your esteemed opinions.

It is actually a very cushy job, and one that is available only to the top students of a cohort (who could easily have joined any big firm if they wanted to). Honestly, a law professor would probably have far better self-esteem than the average lawyer.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app