Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in!
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a fresh grad, planning to enter the field of compliance through an entry level role (contract or otherwise), and work my way up from there. However, I was offered an opportunity for an entry level role as a business analyst in a bank (private banking) recently.

How does a business analyst fare in comparison to a compliance professional in the banking space? I have very limited knowledge of business analysts in banks, and I would like to know what your views are on this role, in terms of prospects, earning potential, career progression etc. Also, is a business analyst versatile in terms of switching functions in the future? (For example from a business analyst to ops risk)

Am I better off continuing to look for roles in compliance? After over a month of searching, I find that entry level compliance roles are very scarce, which is why I am considering this business analyst role.
The general rule I will advise is, to assess how big is the team that you will be joining. If you are joining a huge team, there is a good chance that you will have a mixed of average performers versus top performers. Top performers will likely be obvious and promotion can be faster, if you have positive attitude. If you are joining a smaller team, it is harder to assess if you are outstanding or not.

Business analyst can range from running data (management information) for reports, to managing business related projects (usually remediation projects). If your role is the formal, progression will be much slower. If you are running remediation projects, there will be more opportunity for you to showcase your ability (if you are good).