Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Please Advise: First Time Job Seeking in Career Switch
View Single Post
Old 18-06-2017, 12:24 PM

Audris is on a distinguished road
Default Please Advise: First Time Job Seeking in Career Switch

Hi everyone, would like to get some opinion as it's my first time searching for a job on my own. I've been under MOE for 5 years and have tendered hoping for a career switch to accounting. Currently taking private degree (DL) and expecting to grad by this year Nov/Dec. Able to commit for a new career from mid July onwards.

Willing to start from the bottom and commit long hours but how bottom should I set the limit?

1) What should be the salary I'm asking for during job hunt considering I have zero corporate accounting experience and yet to attain my private degree? Have only been exposed to very basic accounting duties during my career in MOE such as putting up budget and dealing with invoices on monthly basis. (Yes teachers do these on our own within the dept) Say last drawn was 2.7k, should I ask for 2.5k, 2.7k or even lower?

2) My private degree is a 1 year course which doesn't sound very convincing for employers for someone who has no relevant prior qualification. The previous interview I went, the hiring manager seemed abit surprised at a degree course for only 1 year. Truth is, this degree would have taken 1.5 year which is the norm for private degrees but I was exempted credits due to previous 2.5 years studies of accounting degree at UniSIM. Switched uni due to time and uni culture factors. I did not mention UniSIM studies in my CV nor interview as advised by many. I'm relatively familiar with accounting studies considering having studied for 3 years and I think there are some useful modules I cleared in UniSIM such as Singapore Tax which isn't offered in my current programme. So in my case, would it still be unfavorable or should I just be truthful and explain the reason of switch?

3) My goal in an accounting career would be specializing in either AP/AR, Audit or Forensic accounting eventually. Hoping to have a grasp of different kinds of accounting specialization first so it'd be great if I can find an opportunity to do Full Sets. Apparently Audit, Forensic and many Full Sets require experience so would starting up as accounts assistant lead to these eventually?

4) Apart from Accounting, HR is another path which I'm interested to explore should accounting not work out. How is HR career life and progression as compared to Accounting? Any personal experience and opinions?

Pardon for the long post. TIA!