Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a troubled Designer
View Single Post
Old 15-06-2017, 09:36 PM
PanX

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctis View Post
This is what I mean, on one hand I have been told I can still try, on the other I am also told it is kind of "too late" to switch careers.

I think you are spot on, I am quite sick of the company actually, like I mentioned to the other reply I don't mind the work I just don't see myself working in my current company anymore, and there are many other reasons in addition to the lack of prospects, more than half of my team aside from designers are leaving as well. I think it is a very alarming indicator of the department.

Now the most pressing concern I have is, will where I am able to go in my industry allow me to live the life I want and generate enough passive income? I say that because I have this impression that being a designer does not pay well here...but without a base income I might not have enough to expand my investment portfolio, short of taking loans and all that.

Again sorry, but these are all questions that I have no idea who to ask, even when I talk to my own family/friends/lecturers etc.
At this stage it is much more important to try out in other companies with different culture, different job scope, get to know more people in the industry etc. Only through that can you increase your chances to find the correct company fit and hopefully allow you to gain useful experience and increase market value.

Generating passive income that sort of thing while important, should not be the driving force for career decisions for someone who is so young and just starting out. Accounting and banking honestly isn't half as good as it is made out to be, a small minority will reap the big rewards, but otherwise to most others its just a normal paying job with the usual uncertainties.