Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
When I was training, I regretted not applying to other firms during my training period. You will never know if your current law firm will retain you (please don't take the risk). I think it would be easier to jump when you are freshly called to the bar. Chances of the firm (at least the big 4 I trained + worked in) taking in fresh assocs are quite high - the current trainees may leave for "greener pastures" or may not be retained due to their performances. No harm applying when you are still training - many people do that.

I personally feel it would be difficult to join an in-house with litigation experience. In-house counsels typically draft + review commercial contracts. The company would hire a litigation firm should there be any contentious disputes.

However, I do have friends who managed to go in-house with a litigation background (not as many as my corporate friends). It would be VERY DIFFICULT (if not impossible) to join back the private practice after going in-house. It is a one-way street and NOT RECOMMENDED at all if you harbour hopes of joining corporate again. Stick to your liti role (if you can't change it now) and just try to apply every now and then. I feel that the longer you are in the liti role, the more difficult it gets to cross over to the corporate side.
Hey, really helpful advice there! (even though it's not applicable to me). Just wondering if I could have your thoughts on my current situation, which i posted on the previous pg:

I was not retained in one of the local big firms (although I expected it due to manpower issue). Could I ask when's the best time to apply for an Associate position considering that I will only be called next March since I still have Part B to do later this year? Hope to get a spot in similar big firms or mid-size if possible. Thanks