Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - social science/arts degree prospects
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 10:29 PM

vanvanv4n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No worries, 2:1 means second upper honors.

There are many companies out there that are open to any good university degree as long as your grades are there. At the end of the day, good companies esp those Tier 1 MNCs management programs care more about your network and all rounded performance during AC then your type of degree unless it is a very technical hire.

My experience tells me there are many Singaporeans out there who made the mistake of joining financial industry with the misconception of big pay even though they have no interest. They then got stuck in a job/industry that they have zero interest and worse still realize that banking pay isn't half as fantastic as they made it out to be.

In fact my observation is that most people in the civil service and stat boards are actually better paid on average over long term those working in banking support and operations jobs. The high paying banking jobs are really those directly involved with capital markets, UHNWI or specialized data/programming skills , these make up <5% of banking positions out there.
I see, ahh this is great and comforting to hear! Thanks so much Do you have any advice for useful skills/modules I could pick up/take to make myself more employable? Am thinking of picking up basic coding in my own free time and in university, biz-related mods?