Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - social science/arts degree prospects
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 06:56 PM

vanvanv4n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That should not be a problem if you join the public sector as a 2:1 or FCH humanities grad. Starting pay in certain public sector organizations are already >4k and bonus, increases are all pretty much fixed with job security to add.

As for private sector, pay progression is more about corporate politics and ladder climbing then it is about type of degree. Do not fall into the typical narrow minded Singaporean mentality of banking/finance all the time, spend more time to understand what are your interests. Banking has a more flamboyant and ostentatious environment, but it doesn't mean they are really that high paying save for the minority niche jobs.

As a recruiter I am always amused when some averagely paid banking VP comes to me during interview in an arrogant manner demanding that I assure them that my client can afford his "banking pay". In certain occasions I had to tell them gently they are significantly below my client's budget and they need to convince my client they are up to the job.
Hey, thanks for the reply! Sorry, may I know what's 2:1? Yeah I think I'm really consumed by the banking/finance/money mentality but I'll think this through, maybe really just go for where my interest lies (arts/socsci).