Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - is my civil service pay progression fast/slow/normal?
View Single Post
Old 20-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Unregistered

Hi miwashi,

Its so surreal to hear your story. I have been in the same boat as you for a few years now. In a government job, secure, and earning a somewhat similar pay.

I had an offer last year that pays around the same as my last drawn, and is definitely a stepping stone back to the industry.

I rejected it because I chose stability over potential. I charted out my progression in my current job and compared it to what it could have been, the best case, the worst case and the average case. Then I ask myself if I want to take the gamble. The new job is unstable. I will be starting a new line of business. Challenging, but it might fail.

In the end, I chose to stay put. My reasons are as follow, and in no order of priority.

1. Family
2. An ability to forecast future salary. I didn't like the number I forecasted, but felt that it was enough for comfortable living.
3. An opportunity to buid my own investment portfolio for passive income. The fact is, out there in the industry, they want 100% of your time. You don't even have the time to think about anything apart from work.

Will I regret my decision? I don't know... but a decision is a decision. Make it, stick with it. Let us know what you chose eventually!