Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - social science/arts degree prospects
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Unregistered

Lightbulb

Hey man i was in the same situation as you a while back. I graduated a few years ago into a front office position at a large foreign bank (i drew a starting of 9k/mth as a fresh grad back then so its likely even higher now). So im not a troll so lmk if you wanna know more.

1) unlike you i did econs which is arguably more employable
2) you are right that if you want a high paying job, fass is not the place to go. Nope.
3) that said, use the 7 UEs you have to your full advantage. Learn all the necessary skills. You are in the wrong course, so you need to put in the extra effort to learn the necessary skills. You think of employment very early, if you put in the effort now you are very likely get there.
4) this is prob the most impt point. Do as many good internships as you can, and do them early. You also need at least a First Class to compete with technical grads for the jobs you want.

Lastly you need to be clear of what you want. I started worrying for my employment only as i was heading to my third year. So my last 2 years of school were very tough as i had to juggle with extra courses and internships. If you wanna go into MBB consulting for example, do your case competitions and make the necessary contacts throughout your uni life. Btw salary is not the only thing you should look at - id say go for the starting job that maximises your lifetime satisfaction (which is why you need to know what you want in life)

You have time so dont worry too much