Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 23-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Unregistered

Default Helping your children fly

A few of the forummers here fear that leaving loads of money to their children will spoil them and make them lazy and become spendthrifts. This reveals two things about the forummers.

One - this thinking revealed that that's what they themselves would do if they were given a large inheritance. That they will become lazy, spend recklessly and become irresponsible.

Two - that they have no confidence that their children will do the right thing.

The forummers may be right because children learn from and copy what their parents do. They also carry the same genes.

On the other hand, if you are not the spendthrift type, but are the responsible and hardworking types, giving "healthy" financial support to your children will allow them to spread their wings and soar and not have to worry about their basic living sustenance.

Below is an extract from the observations made by a young executive:

"Singaporean parents will volunteer in certain primary schools to get a higher chance for their children to get into a primary school of the parents’ choice. Not to forget, pay for the required tuition classes… Thus, I assumed most parents will try to set aside money for their children’s university degree.

During my recent trek in India, I’ve met quite a number of middle class Indians. They had their foreign degrees (UK, US) and a huge chunk of their wedding expense paid by their parents.

In Australia… the previous GM I’ve work for…. He is 64 and he is paying for his daughter’s mortgage. Just to help them out. I’ve have read in the local Australian newspapers that parents are helping their kids to buy into their first property. Also, there seems to be a trend for young university graduates to take a year break after their studies to travel around the world. I do wonder who is paying for the yearlong break.

I’m not judging… I do see a super massive advantage for these guys. The people I’ve met in India, they are brave enough to set their own tech startups without sacrificing a comfortable living."